Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Government 'Fan Led' Review Of Football In England

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Results are in. The proposals are good (Detailed below- credit to Auntie B).

This miserable old donkey is highly skeptical, especially after the revelations about recent government conduct (Newcastle United, Super League etc).

But I like what I see:

Proposals include:

A new independent regulator to address issues that are most relevant to the risks to the game, especially financial regulation, corporate governance and ownership.

Further work over the summer to ensure greater fan engagement and influence at all levels of governance in the game.

Suggested potential reform at the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League, with a recommendation that at least 50 per cent of the FA board be composed of independent non-executive directors.

Greater protection for important club assets such as badges, location and colours, through a 'golden share' for supporters that provides them with veto powers

Further investigation over the summer on revenue flows within the football pyramid, including 'parachute payments'.

Calls for a joined-up approach from the football authorities to improve player welfare, particularly with regard to players released from the academy system.

Allowing clubs to operate all-weather pitches in League Two to help with generation of revenue in lower leagues.

Suggestion that the English Football League (EFL) enter discussions to absorb the National League top division into the EFL structure.

Possibility of a levy on transfer or agent fees to support the development of the grassroots, amateur and women's games.

A separate review into the future of women's football following "varied" evidence on the best way forward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57929695

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i doubt government tinkering will do anything to solve problems and create another layer of "authority" to slow down any real productive change.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Some really good ideas. The ESL debacle shows the need for a regulatory body to reign in the excesses of owners. The analogy I would use is around listed buildings. You can buy one but you will have to follow a set of rules if you want to make any changes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some really good ideas. The ESL debacle shows the need for a regulatory body to reign in the excesses of owners.

I do like the idea of a new regulator with new powers but that's a double edged sword. You talking about reining in the excesses of owners but many fans complain about FFP as they see it as perpetuating a closed shop.

And then's the fit and proper owner question: many people (and I'm one of them) think it should be toughened so some rogues don't take over. As someone said on another forum this week, Adolf Hitler would pass the fit and proper owner test.

But, on the other hand, you get people like the above-mentioned Newcastle supporters who are complaining about the PL applying such a test and think it should be relaxed.

It's one thing having such a change, it's quite another keeping everyone happy

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I do like the idea of a new regulator with new powers but that's a double edged sword. You talking about reining in the excesses of owners but many fans complain about FFP as they see it as perpetuating a closed shop.

And then's the fit and proper owner question: many people (and I'm one of them) think it should be toughened so some rogues don't take over. As someone said on another forum this week, Adolf Hitler would pass the fit and proper owner test.

But, on the other hand, you get people like the above-mentioned Newcastle supporters who are complaining about the PL applying such a test and think it should be relaxed.

It's one thing having such a change, it's quite another keeping everyone happy

We won’t get far if we listen to all the vested interests (eg Newcastle fans). That’s why I would favour outside professionals who understand the remit of safeguarding the national game and its clubs.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Suggestion that the English Football League (EFL) enter discussions to absorb the National League top division into the EFL structure.

Thats a cracking idea,

The national league is way too good to not be part of the EFL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here