Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Acousitic Guitar

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Apologies for another musical Instrument thread but this lucky fishy is also in the market for a new acoustic guitar

Similar to my recent bass thread I have a couple I have my eye on but am interested in what else I should be trying.

This sounds like it ticks a lot of boxes and Martin are a trusted maker https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...n-000-15m-solid-mahogany-vintage-appointments

Martin 00-15M.jpg

Epiphone J-200 This looks amazing and something draws me to Epiphones and Gibsons

Epiphone J- 200.jpg

What else would the good folk of NSC suggest I try. We have Maton and Cole Clark over here in Aus which certainly tick a few boxes.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Apologies for another musical Instrument thread but this lucky fishy is also in the market for a new acoustic guitar

Similar to my recent bass thread I have a couple I have my eye on but am interested in what else I should be trying.

This sounds like it ticks a lot of boxes and Martin are a trusted maker https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...n-000-15m-solid-mahogany-vintage-appointments

View attachment 138876

Epiphone J-200 This looks amazing and something draws me to Epiphones and Gibsons

View attachment 138877

What else would the good folk of NSC suggest I try. We have Maton and Cole Clark over here in Aus which certainly tick a few boxes.

There's absolutely nothing like a Martin & that's one of the cheapest good ones.
The Epiphone's decent too but a completely different guitar. A better comparison for it would be a Martin D15/16
As always, go & play some, obvs...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There's absolutely nothing like a Martin & that's one of the cheapest good ones.
The Epiphone's decent too but a completely different guitar. A better comparison would be a D15/16
As always, go & play some, obvs...

Yeah, I am really at an open stage of looking at acoustics. I have had the same asian Fender for 20 year and would like to try a variety of different body types. I love the look of those jumbo things.

I am going to get out and look at some soon, we are currently in lockdown so these threads are my next best.

I also got told today that there are supply issues over here in Australia (this was for the Gretch Basses but I am guessing it is similar for everything. So I might be a little limited. Having said that I don't think I'll be too disappointed if I end up with a Maton or a Cole Clark.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I’ve got a Martin 0-x1e and it’s a really nice guitar. Obviously a cheaper model than the one you’ve posted, but the build quality is decent. I can’t fault it. I’ve also got a Gibson J-45 and it’s a different beast entirely. Always best to sit with it and see which one feels right. Never liked buying online if I can help it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I’ve got a Martin 0-x1e and it’s a really nice guitar. Obviously a cheaper model than the one you’ve posted, but the build quality is decent. I can’t fault it. I’ve also got a Gibson J-45 and it’s a different beast entirely. Always best to sit with it and see which one feels right. Never liked buying online if I can help it.

Totally agree with comment about buying online. You need a guitar to be in your hands to see how it feels and sounds. Two exact same models could still have a different feel and tone. Then there is the question of the set up. Fair enough if you are competent but otherwise get a professional particularly if you have some rock orientated super strat equipped with a Floyd Rose. An acoustic should be a little easier.

I recently had a complete professional set up of my Strat including inserting a Seymour Duncan JB Junior in the bridge position. What with a full fret dress, intonation check and truss rod tweak it now plays so much better and the tuning is very stable with a standard trem set to float a tad. Money well spent.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Totally agree with comment about buying online. You need a guitar to be in your hands to see how it feels and sounds. Two exact same models could still have a different feel and tone. Then there is the question of the set up. Fair enough if you are competent but otherwise get a professional particularly if you have some rock orientated super strat equipped with a Floyd Rose. An acoustic should be a little easier.

I recently had a complete professional set up of my Strat including inserting a Seymour Duncan JB Junior in the bridge position. What with a full fret dress, intonation check and truss rod tweak it now plays so much better and the tuning is very stable with a standard trem set to float a tad. Money well spent.

I certainly won't be buying online. The best piece of advice I have been given is to play lots of guitars, one of them will speak to me and I'll know when I play it.

I live an hour out of Melbourne, there are three music shops locally and I am wondering if I am best to buy local? For setting up and parts and stuff. I know that one of the shops is a an official Tayor dealer (not sure about the other two).

I should probably be trying to support the local places if possible.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
The J200 is a lovely guitar, but is very big so might be unfomfortable to play for long gigs.

All of the makers suggested have great reputations - my main acoustic is a Lowden O25, beautiful tone. If you prefer a smaller guitar the Lowden collaboration with Ed Sheeran has some very nice, smaller guitars (also at smaller prices). https://sheeranguitars.com

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I treated myself to a Martin 7 years ago. It is without doubt the best thing I have ever bought.

Worth every penny.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Taylor are possibly the main competitor to Martin. I have one and it has lovely tone. Their production techniques (which they brought in and many companies now use) means quite consistently good build quality.
They price from around £500 all the way up to about £10k so a mid/high end manufacturer like Martin.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Orangewood seem to be well regarded too, if budget doesn't stretch to equivalent Martin/Taylor....

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The J200 is a lovely guitar, but is very big so might be unfomfortable to play for long gigs.

All of the makers suggested have great reputations - my main acoustic is a Lowden O25, beautiful tone. If you prefer a smaller guitar the Lowden collaboration with Ed Sheeran has some very nice, smaller guitars (also at smaller prices). https://sheeranguitars.com

OK to be fair I've never been into acoustics but in terms of signature artistes Ed Sheeran must be a tough sell. Malmsteen strat, Vai Ibanez Jem, ESP Kirk Hammett I get it!

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Really wouldn't get a cheap Martin or Taylor. The build quality isn't up too much in general.

I would recommend looking at Tanglewoods, Simon & Patricks as they are superbly made in general. Second hand as well if possible.

Also look at brands such as Vintage, and Ibanez did a budget acoustic that is meant to be pretty good as well.

Get something with a solid top and if you can afford a bit extra then all solid would be a recommendation.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I bought myself a crafter in 2005 and it is still a beautiful as the day I bought it. A great guitar to have learnt on and I'd recommend it to all levels of ability

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Have you played a J-200? , they’re not particularly nice to play , very hard work ,

The guitar currently getting rave reviews is the new Yamaha LL16 , and you won’t be paying the price of a Martin or Taylor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Check out the instrument shop opposite Haywards heath station. Has some very good guitars and extremely knowledgeable new guys running it......Carousel Music...and before you ask, no it's not me. Recently been taken on by a mate who used to have shop in the West End. Well worth a visit.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Taylor are possibly the main competitor to Martin. I have one and it has lovely tone. Their production techniques (which they brought in and many companies now use) means quite consistently good build quality.
They price from around £500 all the way up to about £10k so a mid/high end manufacturer like Martin.

I have the Taylor 314 and it's an absolutely beautiful guitar, the sound is exactly what I wanted and the action is just unbelievable and makes it so easy to play. I have tried a few Martins and always found the action a little on the high side but I think that's my playing style rather than anything else. Therefore agree with others, you have to go get the thing in your hands before making a decission.

It lives on a stand in the lounge and I often just go pick it up as I'm walking past as I just wanna play it every time I look at the thing!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I have the Taylor 314 and it's an absolutely beautiful guitar, the sound is exactly what I wanted and the action is just unbelievable and makes it so easy to play. I have tried a few Martins and always found the action a little on the high side but I think that's my playing style rather than anything else. Therefore agree with others, you have to go get the thing in your hands before making a decission.

It lives on a stand in the lounge and I often just go pick it up as I'm walking past as I just wanna play it every time I look at the thing!

I agree , and nice Taylor by the way

You have to go and try

I have 97 Takamine Sante Fe which is just gorgeous to play , and I’ll never part with it .

There is more out there than just Taylor and Martin and you can get fantastic guitars fir less money than those imports .

But yes , try try try!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Check out the instrument shop opposite Haywards heath station. Has some very good guitars and extremely knowledgeable new guys running it......Carousel Music...and before you ask, no it's not me. Recently been taken on by a mate who used to have shop in the West End. Well worth a visit.

I think that might just be a little too far for [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here