Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Petition to end laboratory testing on animals.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I posted this in the dark side of horse racing thread but thought I'd give it it's own thread in the hope of reaching more people.

Please watch the video in the linked tweet from Peter Egan and sign the petition. The video is of course distressing but interestingly it shows that laboratory testing on animals has little to no benefit to Humans. Hopefully you will be shocked enough to sign.

https://twitter.com/PeterEgan6/status/1417775104851947521?s=20

Petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/591775

PS. This petition is to include laboratory animals in the Animal Welfare Act which they currently are not, not end testing on animals altogether.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only if you promise to never accept any drug thats had some animal testing.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

Watch the video and you'll see that testing drugs on animals is pretty much entirely inconsequential. And yes personally if testing on dogs cured cancer I'd still be against it. Find another way.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
And we’re off. Let the Harvest Bin Festival commence!

its only fair though, people should reflect they are a beneficiary of something before signing a petition to ban it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Watch the video and you'll see that testing drugs on animals is pretty much entirely inconsequential. And yes personally if testing on dogs cured cancer I'd still be against it. Find another way.

so you'll be refusing treatment for yourself, partner, childen, other family?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

That's a rather disingenuous argument, akin to saying you'll never use cotton, sugar or bananas because they were once farmed by slaves.

I say this as someone who tacitly supports limited animal testing for medicine development.

Last edited:

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
It's not done for fun.

Signed.

One of the big differences with animal testing is that what works on them will not necessarily work on humans so has no benefit to us. The other disturbing evidence is so many experiments on animals are experiments that have been done in the past that the researchers already know what will happen, so why do these?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Watch the video, and you will see some guy say that, but no evidence. I would like this not to be a step taken in the development of drugs, but unless there is an alternative I can't sign that petition.

However this I can get behind. https://frame.org.uk/who-we-are/

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The problem is that this debate has two very polarized sides. One saying testing is worthwhile ( MRC ) and one saying it doesn't add anything. I reluctantly support the testing if it's for life saving drugs but would like to see it banned for anything non-life saving and absolutely for cosmetics.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
its only fair though, people should reflect they are a beneficiary of something before signing a petition to ban it.

So if you've kicked a football "made in questionable Asian country", you cant sign a petition against child labour? If you have electricity, you cant sign a petition to ban dirty energy sources?

Its dumb.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That's a rather disingenuous argument, akin to saying you'll never use cotton, sugar or bananas because they were once farmed by slaves.

not really, we are not direct beneficiaries of their labour 200 years later. though some might well avoid produce of some plantations if they felt that strongly about it.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
The problem is that this debate has two very polarized sides. One saying testing is worthwhile ( MRC ) and one saying it doesn't add anything. I reluctantly support the testing if it's for life saving drugs but would like to see it banned for anything non-life saving and absolutely for cosmetics.

This particular petition is to ensure animals are treated humanely during testing which they sometimes are not. I got the thread title wrong. Apologies.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
So if you've kicked a football "made in questionable Asian country", you cant sign a petition against child labour? If you have electricity, you cant sign a petition to ban dirty energy sources?

Its dumb.

sign away if it makes you feel happy. all too cheap to sign a petition without thinking of consequences.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry, that video doesn't by any stretch of the imagination persuade me to sign a petition. Yes, some of the scenes depicted are shocking but there is no reference as to when or where these were filmed. The video also states that 10% of medicines did pass approval yet there are still people posting that there is no benefit to humans. It would be interesting to know how many medicines not involving tests on animal also don't get approval! I suspect the ratios are pretty similar.

What I do agree with is that if animals are being used in testing they should be treated humanely.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sorry, that video doesn't by any stretch of the imagination persuade me to sign a petition. Yes, some of the scenes depicted are shocking but there is no reference as to when or where these were filmed. The video also states that 10% of medicines did pass approval yet there are still people posting that there is no benefit to humans. It would be interesting to know how many medicines not involving tests on animal also don't get approval! I suspect the ratios are pretty similar.

What I do agree with is that if animals are being used in testing they should be treated humanely.

I believe it is a regulatory requirement to have data through animal testing, to get approval for use, in most countries of the world. Animal testing of at least 2 of the Covid Vaccines was carried out for this purpose only, human trials were conducted concurrently.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
not really, we are not direct beneficiaries of their labour 200 years later. though some might well avoid produce of some plantations if they felt that strongly about it.

How many people on here wear high street clothes and shoes made by factory slave labour that often involves children, kick footballs made in sweatshops, snort cocaine that destroys lives and communities in Latin America and elsewhere? Where does the moral compass, the hypocrisy draw the line in the judgemental sand?

Edit, Swansman beat me to the football analogy.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Its dumb.

sign away if it makes you feel happy. all too cheap to sign a petition without thinking of consequences.

He made a very good point which I don't think you really addressed in your reply

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here