Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Hollow Body Bass Guitar

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am in the market for a new hollow/semi hollow bass guitar.

So far I am looking at trying out the Gretch Electromatic 5440/5442

1_77f448a8b1.jpg

https://www.mannsmusic.co.uk/guitar...tic-hollow-body-34-long-scale-bass-orange.htm

or the Epiphone Jack Cassidy

F1.jpg

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-de...ss-guitars/epiphone-jack-casady-bass-in-ebony

I am in Australia so the biggest hurdle seems to be actually tracking these hollow-body guitars down to play them. If I can find one I will also try out the Hagstrom Viking and there is a couple of Hofners that look nice.

Do any of you own any of these types of guitars, any recommendations of others that I should try and track down?

It is worth noting that I will also try some other solid body basses, I currently play a sub 4 (cheap version of the Musicman) which I love. Will also be trying some sort of Fender Jazz.

Any other suggestions around the 1000 pounds price point?

Attachments

• texture-light.png
    texture-light.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 157

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have a Mexican Fender Road worn P Bass and like in very much! Just wish i was a better player :(
https://youtu.be/S2ikUqn-5YA

Yeah, nice. I was looking at the Fenders. There seems to be new levels of them now. Looks like the Mexican ones are taken over by the player series (I may have got that wrong. They also seem to be remaking some classics with the Vintera series. Can't wait to get out there and play a few. Will definitely look at the P bass. Although I play a few different styles of music in my band so am thinking of finding something with a wider range of tones. How does yours go with this, I am really basing this opinion on my old Squire P bass? I will definitely give the new ones a try.

Yep wish I could play better too. Too many people in my house to practice my bass playing. Although my acoustic guitar playing is improving.

Last edited:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

Can I ask what is it about a semi hollow body that you think need? (Although they do look very cool!) A Jazz bass would be a more flexible option I suspect and plenty of choice in your price range. I have a lovely mexi Flea jazz and a CIJ Precision - the jazz would be my go to bass more than than the precision although both don’t get used as often as my Status. Of course the best thing is to try but appreciate that might not always be easy.

Attachments

• E4D966E2-9DF5-4E0D-8E68-5C68AC2EC0FE.jpeg
    E4D966E2-9DF5-4E0D-8E68-5C68AC2EC0FE.jpeg
    846.4 KB · Views: 137

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can I ask what is it about a semi hollow body that you think need? (Although they do look very cool!) A Jazz bass would be a more flexible option I suspect and plenty of choice in your price range. I have a lovely mexi Flea jazz and a CIJ Precision - the jazz would be my go to bass more than than the precision although both don’t get used as often as my Status. Of course the best thing is to try but appreciate that might not always be easy.

It is a lot to do with the way they look, they are stunning. I also really like that classic 60's sound, deep and eathly. Something a little different to my sub 4 which I have no intention of getting rid of. If I was doing this a couple of years ago (before i got the sub 4) I would be looking at getting a musicman.

I have watched a couple of youtube videos about the double pick up Gretch's and love the fact that they have such a wide range of tones. Much like the Jazz.

It is really going to be about the one that speaks to me and draws me to it. The reason I wanted to try a Jazz if because I tried one when I was about 20 and have never forgotten it. Similar with the Musicman. I just want to make sure that I try a wide range. This is probably going to be a once in a lifetime purchase so I want to tick all the boxes.

I thing that I really need from this guitar though, is the something that can't be described, the connection, the wow factor, the comfort, extension of self. The thing that I can't really identify until I play it. I am going to take a day or two in Melbourne to play as many as I can to find out what is going to fit. This part is as exciting to me as actually buying the thing. I am also going to do the same for a new acousit (thread on this to follow :)).

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

So far I am looking at trying out the Gretch Electromatic 5440/5442

View attachment 138857

https://www.mannsmusic.co.uk/guitar...tic-hollow-body-34-long-scale-bass-orange.htm

or the Epiphone Jack Cassidy

View attachment 138859

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-de...ss-guitars/epiphone-jack-casady-bass-in-ebony

I am in Australia so the biggest hurdle seems to be actually tracking these hollow-body guitars down to play them. If I can find one I will also try out the Hagstrom Viking and there is a couple of Hofners that look nice.

Do any of you own any of these types of guitars, any recommendations of others that I should try and track down?

It is worth noting that I will also try some other solid body basses, I currently play a sub 4 (cheap version of the Musicman) which I love. Will also be trying some sort of Fender Jazz.

Any other suggestions around the 1000 pounds price point?

Australia you say :rock::lolol:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I thing that I really need from this guitar though, is the something that can't be described, the connection, the wow factor, the comfort, extension of self. The thing that I can't really identify until I play it. I am going to take a day or two in Melbourne to play as many as I can to find out what is going to fit. This part is as exciting to me as actually buying the thing. I am also going to do the same for a new acousit (thread on this to follow :)).

Going to be fun looking - enjoy!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sorry I can't contribute from a bass perspective but should Lockdown V3 beckon I'm all sorted as just had a Seymour Duncan JB Junior pick up popped into the bridge position on my 90's Fender Japan standard strat. Sweet humbucker tone but in a single coil size. It rocks!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is only one, The Thompson RM100

https://youtu.be/bdXAnmCgPfc

I have seriously considered this but two things hold me back.

1. They take up too much space and that is at a premium at the moment with three teenagers in the house.

2. It takes a whole lot of training/retraining to learn to play the upright bass. It is a different beast.

FWIW my mate has one that I can borrow play, this will be my first step towards the upright bass.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can't think of a memorable Hollow Body bass.

The Musicman sounds great but looks like a toilet seat.

The Fender precision sounds great but doesn't.

Vintage is best.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

(Playing Bass is a nice simple step between being a drummer and a musician :wink:)

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
lC10UNIm.jpg

I've got a Bass guitar.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I own the Jack Cassidy bass and it’s a banger! Much prefer it to my previous solid body bass. Well worth it :thumbsup:

9BFE92FC-D85D-48D0-B7DA-E9F5E2B89B2E.jpeg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here