Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Panorama : The Dark Side of Horse Racing

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A sickening watch, but nothing really that surprises those of us that have long since held the view that a lot of racehorses are simply sent to slaughter when in fact their injuries could be cured, given time and money.

But of course, horse racing is primarily concerned with making money, and whilst obviously horses still racing are given the utmost care and attention, the fate that awaits a fair few after their 'careers' have been cut short by injury can be horrific.

The injury rate in training is quite shocking too. And in an industry worth £5bn in the UK and Ireland, the sum of £1.4 m is set aside for horse's welfare after they finish racing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09py7f8

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A sickening watch, but nothing really that surprises those of us that have long since held the view that a lot of racehorses are simply sent to slaughter when in fact their injuries could be cured, given time and money.

But of course, horse racing is primarily concerned with making money, and whilst obviously horses still racing are given the utmost care and attention, the fate that awaits a fair few after their 'careers' have been cut short by injury can be horrific.

The injury rate in training is quite shocking too. And in an industry worth £5bn in the UK and Ireland, the sum of £1.4 m is set aside for horse's welfare after they finish racing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09py7f8

But they love their horses, it must be lies....

I am a very avid anti foxhunting person , they way they kill foxes and cubs is a national disgrace but the hounds don't get it easy either , thousands are killed each year because they are old (not a good reason particularly IMO ) but because they won't follow the scent or attack the foxes .

And that applies to the hunts that do any trail hunting ( i know someone on here was insistent that beagles are used for trail hunting only)

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Every sport that uses animals absolutely disgusts and sickens me. There is no defense for horse racing & dog racing etc.

On a side note the actor Peter Egan is trying to get testing on animals banned in this country. Yes, it's still legal and still happening in this country even on dogs. Here is a link to a video (which is horrible) and a link to the petition:

https://twitter.com/PeterEgan6/status/1417775104851947521?s=20

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I know there will be others on this thread who will tell us that it is all bollocks but you can add me to the list of people who think it is cruel and sickening.

In addition to this, a sport that only holds interest on those who have bet on it really cannot claim to be much cop in the entertainment stakes either. Take away the gambling and how many people would be interested?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Every sport that uses animals absolutely disgusts and sickens me. There is no defense for horse racing & dog racing etc.

On a side note the actor Peter Egan is trying to get testing on animals banned in this country. Yes, it's still legal and still happening in this country even on dogs. Here is a link to a video (which is horrible) and a link to the petition:

https://twitter.com/PeterEgan6/status/1417775104851947521?s=20

I watched that and I wish I hadn't! **** we are a horrendous species.

Those stats about the usefulness of animal testing are insane.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know there will be others on this thread who will tell us that it is all bollocks but you can add me to the list of people who think it is cruel and sickening.

In addition to this, a sport that only holds interest on those who have bet on it really cannot claim to be much cop in the entertainment stakes either. Take away the gambling and how many people would be interested?

I'm sure it's not bollocks but surely this happens across the board in animal welfare (not testing, I'm talking racing here). There are farmers who treat animals badly and high welfare / organic farms who treat their animals to the highest possible standards. There are pet owners who spoil their pets beyond reasonableness (not actually great for them), really good pet owners and people who mistreat or abuse their pets. But no one is arguing that pet owning should be banned and a society where we have the choice to buy high quality meat less often or become vegetarian / vegan is surely more reasonable than one that forces people to eat certain things.

As per all these threads I assume those 100% against racing are holding their noses and pressing "ignore" for a while when they hand over some cashflow to Tony Bloom? :shrug:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Likewise

Having seen first hand some of the consequences of using animals for sport I'll never be convinced that there is any justification to continue to do so in a civilised society. So called sports where the cruelty is visible, (e.g. hare coursing, dog fighting, cock fighting etc.), have all been rightly banned, where the cruelty is less obvious many seem to be happy to remain in a state of ignorance and denial.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
As per all these threads I assume those 100% against racing are holding their noses and pressing "ignore" for a while when they hand over some cashflow to Tony Bloom? :shrug:

I've thought about this and while I don't like the thought of any of my money inadvertently funding his horse racing hobby (if it even does) it's certainly not something I like and was even thinking about writing to him about in the light of this Panorama documentary. Even if he can assure us that his horse/s are treated humanely it's still not a good image for a brilliant and forward thinking football club chairman.

I'm certainly not going to stop supporting my club because of it but perhaps the few of us that care enough can make our feelings known?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm sure it's not bollocks but surely this happens across the board in animal welfare (not testing, I'm talking racing here). There are farmers who treat animals badly and high welfare / organic farms who treat their animals to the highest possible standards. There are pet owners who spoil their pets beyond reasonableness (not actually great for them), really good pet owners and people who mistreat or abuse their pets. But no one is arguing that pet owning should be banned and a society where we have the choice to buy high quality meat less often or become vegetarian / vegan is surely more reasonable than one that forces people to eat certain things.

I accept that my personal view is in many ways contradictory but I also recognise that contradiction and don't try to deny it which is not the case with many supporters of the use of animals in "sport".

I own a number of pets, (or should that be a number own me ???), and believe I'm in the group of 'good owners'. However I don't deny that some abuse their pets and I support those organisations, vocally and financially, that try to minimise this. Likewise with farmers and their treatment of stock animals.

With regards to TB I don't hold back on criticism of his participation in the horse racing business in the same way that I admire and praise him for his interest in the Albion.

I just wish that those who gamble on race horses, breed, train or ride them would open their eyes and recognise the consequences.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I assume those 100% against racing are holding their noses and pressing "ignore" for a while when they hand over some cashflow to Tony Bloom? :shrug:
Betting ruins lives, horse and dog racing ruins animals lives, but the industries are worth a lot of money and provide entertainment too. That in itself isn't a justification, but dismantling an entire industry because suddenly enough people are outraged by a lack of horse welfare is not going to wash.

It's a tough one, and rather like tobacco advertising before that its fate lies in the prevailing attitudes of the day I suspect.

In the short term, there clearly needs to be FAR better provision for animal welfare if they are going to be taken advantage of like this and one scenario that grates for me is this: I know that when a horse breaks it's leg, it is often put down because it can no longer support itself - the shin of a horse leg is actually akin to a fingernail in the human body, it's very brittle and not many people realise that. However with that in mind, it's high time the racing industry developed the technology to fix a horse's leg and nurse the horse back to good health and let it retire. It may cost millions but I'm sorry, the woman who runs Bet 365 is one of the wealthiest in the country, so I really don't have too much sympathy while that is the case. People owning gambling companies are making money at the expense of far too many other interests, and it is time that changed.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There is no doubt that if there was no gambling, there would be no horse racing. Sport of kings my ar$e!

I count myself so very lucky that I have no urge [addiction?] to gamble or take drugs - I like my food and a few sherbets but I am in no way addicted, so I count myself very fortunate.

Those that gamble for "pleasure" I cannot understand, I work damn hard for my money and any thought of putting even a small amount on the outcome of a horse race or football match etc. just doesn't float my boat. I know of people who are having a gamble all the time [too easy on their phones] and like someone with a smoking, drugs or alcohol addiction or an eating disorder, I sort of feel sorry for them - not in a condescending way, but in a genuine care for the welfare of their situation.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I have never been a fan of horse racing.

I prefer watching Dressage, Cross Country and the Jumps as at least the horses are treated alot better than some in horse racing.

And there is more skill in Dressage than horse racing too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Exactly this. Unnecessary animal suffering leading to unnecessary human suffering through gambling. It's a lose lose for almost all except those running the courses and " training "the horses.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Pleased to say I've never placed a bet on anything, ever. It's a mugs game and those of you that bet on horses or dogs are basically funding and complicit in animal cruelty.

Shame on you.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Honestly, what even is the point of horse racing? It's not even that entertaining a sport, before we even get to the en masse slaughter of animals and lives ruined through gambling.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
However with that in mind, it's high time the racing industry developed the technology to fix a horse's leg and nurse the horse back to good health and let it retire. It may cost millions but I'm sorry, the woman who runs Bet 365 is one of the wealthiest in the country, so I really don't have too much sympathy while that is the case.
Are you thinking of some form of leg transplant?

The big problem is how to keep a horse immobile for long enough to heal the leg. You can't put it under anaesthetic for weeks on end. If you have to keep the horse immobile while allowing it to keep moving, that's a problem technology can't solve whatever the cost.

Most animals die horrible deaths. These animals die much less horrible deaths than animals that don't have human interaction.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are you thinking of some form of leg transplant?

The big problem is how to keep a horse immobile for long enough to heal the leg. You can't put it under anaesthetic for weeks on end. If you have to keep the horse immobile while allowing it to keep moving, that's a problem technology can't solve whatever the cost.

Most animals die horrible deaths. These animals die much less horrible deaths than animals that don't have human interaction.

This week, a billionaire has sent himself into space. Are you telling me we can't find a way to nurse a horse back to care from a broken leg? I'd have thought some technolgy involving a metal splint while it healed was a potential solution, but I really don't know. I simply refuse to believe it can't be done and the racing industry needs to address it, especially as it has caused this issue through breeding and then intense racing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I like a bet. But I'm annoyed with myself now. I thought retired horses were put out to stud and there were proper plans for their care. I'm a ****.

I haven't watched the documentary. The snippets were enough with the awareness of healthy animals being put down.

Horses are majestic creatures.

I promise never to bet on a horse gain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here