Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Liverpool stripped of Unesco World Heritage status - Stonehenge next?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only if the build a football stadium in the middle of it like everton are doing.

Nah, UNESCO aren't happy about the proposed road/trunnel and have already highlighted that to the government.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was the Heritage Site nicked by those naughty hubcap scallies?

No it wasn't. I haven't been back there for a few years now, but from one of the pictures attached to that BBC article it looks as of they've allowed a building to be built obscuring the iconic view of the three water front buildings - and as far as granting planning permissions is concerned, that is bloody stupid.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No it wasn't. I haven't been back there for a few years now, but from one of the pictures attached to that BBC article it looks as of they've allowed a building to be built obscuring the iconic view of the three water front buildings - and as far as granting planning permissions is concerned, that is bloody stupid.

You tell em, #G49erGreta :lolol:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I worked in the Port of Liverpool building when they built that. We couldn’t believe they got planning permission but the planning process is very shady in Liverpool and led to the Mayor getting sacked.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I worked in the Port of Liverpool building when they built that. We couldn’t believe they got planning permission but the planning process is very shady in Liverpool and led to the Mayor getting sacked.

Cheers for that confirmation. Awful decision - world heritage centre or not, that is - or rather was - a magnificent vista. So glad I got some good photos of it last time I visited (couldn't afford photography back in my student days there!)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Shady business in British politics? I will NOT hear of it

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I’ve lived in Liverpool for over 30 years. The transformation is unbelievable. The heritage sites and city developments over the years have created an amazing cultural experience for visitors. The current music Arena and new Everton ground are on old docks that have served no purpose for generations.... https://youtu.be/JoexyBq8N-4

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Hmm... only ten years ago, the drive through the docks at Liverpool was a bit of a special experience, you could almost taste the history down there. Now, I fear, it will all soon be forgotten, to modern buildings and industries etc.

Inevitable probably, and probably for the long term good. That's life I guess...

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I’ve lived in Liverpool for over 30 years. The transformation is unbelievable. The heritage sites and city developments over the years have created an amazing cultural experience for visitors. The current music Arena and new Everton ground are on old docks that have served no purpose for generations.... https://youtu.be/JoexyBq8N-4

That's almost as impressive as the new main stand at Selhurst Park; it must be nearly finished by now mustn't it?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Do you mean the horrible black thing on Mann Island?

The Everton stadium looks quite good from the mocked up pictures if it ever goes ahead.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Arena was built on an old car park. The dock had been filled in decades ago.

Also the Liver Building, Port of Liverpool Building and Cunard are also built over an old dock....... in the early 1900s, so nothing changes.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Do you mean the horrible black thing on Mann Island?

The Everton stadium looks quite good from the mocked up pictures if it ever goes ahead.

Yes. How that ever got approved I’ll never know. Admittedly there wasn’t much there before, a car sales place if I remember correctly, but that is just an eyesore.

edaf4c0d0ee9e8e095fd585423806751.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here