Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unfortunate holiday companions

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
SO.............off to Cornwall this weekend with my son, staying with a old friend and his family.

Conversation earlier in the week....."Just to let you know, my parents are going to be there also." No worries (i've known them for 30 years)

"Oh, and my sister and her boyfriend are going also. They met together at school (in Croydon.....yes, you know where this is headed!) and go to the football together." Again, no worries as known his sister for 30 years also

I put the phone down and the penny dropped. ALL FOUR OF THE 'NEW' HOLIDAY COMPANIONS ARE.....................PALACE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS!!!!! :rant::rant::rant::rant:

Now I know my son lives in Brighton gear out of his school uniform and that will be a red rage to a bull with this lot!!! Oh, the banter to be had next week :nono:

Yes I know they are lovely people, but honestly. Four of the buggers is too many!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Have you checked their opinion/position on vaccinations and covid?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Moved into my house last November. Get on really well with the neighbour who is a very unassuming older gent with a young Daughter whom he dotes upon. I've never spoken to him about football - it's all been about the house, what he's done to it, and so on.

He had some friends round the other day in the back garden having a BBQ and beckoned us over to sit outside with them (chairs all 2m apart). All was going well until I spotted his 'Mini Bar' area through the back window.. and the banners, flags and framed signed photos all over the walls. Basically, a shrine to Crystal Palace... :eek:

My wife saw my face, almost spat her drink out trying to contain her laughing, then urged me to tell him I was a BHA STH.

Dear Deardrie,

Do I tell my neighbour and risk a lifetime of having to look the other way when he's in his garden or on his drive or do I, for the sake of a good neighbourly relationship, keep my affiliations a secret.

Yours

Mr K. Nose

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
SO.............off to Cornwall this weekend with my son, staying with a old friend and his family.

Conversation earlier in the week....."Just to let you know, my parents are going to be there also." No worries (i've known them for 30 years)

"Oh, and my sister and her boyfriend are going also. They met together at school (in Croydon.....yes, you know where this is headed!) and go to the football together." Again, no worries as known his sister for 30 years also

I put the phone down and the penny dropped. ALL FOUR OF THE 'NEW' HOLIDAY COMPANIONS ARE.....................PALACE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS!!!!! :rant::rant::rant::rant:

Now I know my son lives in Brighton gear out of his school uniform and that will be a red rage to a bull with this lot!!! Oh, the banter to be had next week :nono:

Yes I know they are lovely people, but honestly. Four of the buggers is too many!!

Tell them to travel on the A303 very slowly, whilst you take an alternative quicker route.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Too late to cancel as one of your party has just commenced the journey

on our way.jpg

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Simple. Hire a Van...

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Tell them to travel on the A303 very slowly, whilst you take an alternative quicker route.

to be honest, what IS the quickest / most sensible route to take out of interest?

to my shame I have only been to Cornwall once in my life, and that was for the eclipse 20 years ago!

headed near to Falmouth, 5 miles or so SouthWest to a place called Porthleven.

Any advice much appreciated.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
to be honest, what IS the quickest / most sensible route to take out of interest?

to my shame I have only been to Cornwall once in my life, and that was for the eclipse 20 years ago!

Depending on where you are travelling from in Sussex.
It's either or TBH.
You can travel all the way along the coast to Exeter then on down the A38.
M27 to the A303 then A30 Exeter.
Or head up to the M25, M4, then M5 south.
Whatever route you choose, I would leave early early in the morning.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In fact, leave so early it's still the night before.

We've done several holidays in Cornwall, staying in NT cottages.
From here we left at 04:00, took a steady drive M4 M5.......and arrived at about 09:00.
We couldn't get in these places till lunchtime, so did a bit of browsing in the area.
At the end of our hols we left same time to get home, so as to not waste a day travelling.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
It's either or TBH.

Thanks - travelling from Crowborough and tempted to go cross country out to Arundel way and then to Pompey etc and go that way rather than M25.

Realise it's going to take me hours and hours however whichever route

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

I live down Devon and I would recommend leaving as early as possible
M27 go through Salisbury then join A303 then M5 down from Taunton, then A38 all the way until your turn off.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East

I've not stayed in Porthleven itself, but have stayed in the area a few times and visited Porthleven, which seemed lovely.

Nearby (ish) Trebah Gardens is worth a visit (dogs welcome, stuff to do there with kids, including a small beach as well as the tropical gardens). I've had a few decent meals at the Ferry Boat Inn, Helford Passage - just down the road from Trebah too.

If you like gin, head to Mullion for some Curio gin - you could visit the distillery pre-covid, but not sure you can now.

There's plenty to do (nice pubs & restaurants) in Falmouth too.

It's a beautiful part of the world, but some of the locals will hate you, particularly when they are stuck in the jams on tiny country lanes :)

I agree with all of this:
It's either or TBH.

Personal preference (from nr Lewes) is A&M27, A303, A30, but the key thing is to go very early.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
To be honest, I find I have much more in common with the Palace fans I have met/chatted to over the years than I do with plastic fans of Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs etc. Most tend to be fairly knowledgeable about football in general.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here