Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal pull out of the Florida Cup due to Covid cases

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Arsenal were due to travel to the US to take part in the Florida Cup with Everton, Inter and Millonarios (from Colombia) but have had to pull out due to a number of senior and youth players testing positive.

A pre-cursor of what's to come when the season starts?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yep

Especially as things expected to 'peak' in a few weeks.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Covid is not going to go away. No matter how many people get vaccinated, it will still be around. Nothing we can do to eradicate it.

For sure the effects are mitigated with vaccines etc..

But the sooner the Govt realise this the better and we can get on with life as much as possible.

Otherwise we'll keep on getting lockdowns, cancelled events and so on, until we all live in a literal bubble and all interaction is done via zoom (other platforms are available). We'd Iive in a world of zero physical interaction with others.

How awful that would be. But we'd be 'safe'. Brain dead, but safe.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Covid is not going to go away. No matter how many people get vaccinated, it will still be around. Nothing we can do to eradicate it.

For sure the effects are mitigated with vaccines etc..

But the sooner the Govt realise this the better and we can get on with life as much as possible.

Otherwise we'll keep on getting lockdowns, cancelled events and so on, until we all live in a literal bubble and all interaction is done via zoom (other platforms are available). We'd Iive in a world of zero physical interaction with others.

How awful that would be. But we'd be 'safe'. Brain dead, but safe.

Rather than the right or wrongs, I think the main point here is there will be a lot of disruption over the next few weeks/months because of it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its going to be an absolute shitstorm when the season starts. Now the government has let the handbrake off and washed their hands of it because basically they can't be arsed with it any more (so the spiralling infection rates will all be OUR fault obvs), I can see multiple games having to be binned off.

Lets see where we are by December. Back to square one, I wouldn't mind wagering.

D

Deleted member 22389

Its going to be an absolute shitstorm when the season starts. Now the government has let the handbrake off and washed their hands of it because basically they can't be arsed with it any more (so the spiralling infection rates will all be OUR fault obvs), I can see multiple games having to be binned off.

Lets see where we are by December. Back to square one, I wouldn't mind wagering.

And this is the same situation every single government is facing around the world. Economy over virus now, yes it's crap but what else can they do now.

The spiralling rates are our fault if people don't wear masks, don't wash their hands, get close to each other and don't follow the basic rules.

What makes things worse for us, is we are now an overpopulated small island, so we will always come off worse compared to likes of countries like Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
And this is the same situation every single government is facing around the world. Economy over virus now, yes it's crap but what else can they do now.

The spiralling rates are our fault if people don't wear masks, don't wash their hands, get close to each other and don't follow the basic rules.

What makes things worse for us, is we are now an overpopulated small island, so we will always come off worse compared to likes of countries like Australia.
Excusing this incompetent bunch of criminals pretending to be some sort of government is what is taking this country down.

It is incredible that they are allowed to get away with it. It is so depressing that apologists for this shit show still exist. Utter madness

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Excusing this incompetent bunch of criminals pretending to be some sort of government is what is taking this country down.

It is incredible that they are allowed to get away with it. It is so depressing that apologists for this shit show still exist. Utter madness

Anyway............

So how do we think this will affect the season?
The prospect of last minute cancellations is going to be a high likelihood for a good while yet.
Will players still be expected to live within secure bubbles, whilst the rest of the country go along with ignoring sensible precautions?
If they don't there's a strong chance of a lot of postponed games.

I seem to recall that Klopp implied that City engineered a break for themselves, last season.
Could be a useful tactic for teams with injury/squad problems (Palace).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well if they didn't have it before they arrived in Florida (or Texas) they sure as hell would catch it before they came back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1417479672309424135[/tweet]

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Anyway............

So how do we think this will affect the season?
The prospect of last minute cancellations is going to be a high likelihood for a good while yet.
Will players still be expected to live within secure bubbles, whilst the rest of the country go along with ignoring sensible precautions?
If they don't there's a strong chance of a lot of postponed games.

I seem to recall that Klopp implied that City engineered a break for themselves, last season.
Could be a useful tactic for teams with injury/squad problems (Palace).

Two choices I guess, relax the rules and let the clubs decide how to deal with it or cancel the season at some point. The former I'd imagine, with that being the case with employers generally. Can't see how it can continue with teams success based on how much they isolate their players from life as the rest of the world carry on as normal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We've done better with vaccinations than Australia, which has mainly tried to control the virus with strict border controls. The UK in comparison has a land border with the EU, is 21 miles from France by boat and, in Heathrow, has a major business travel hub, plus a population who seem absolutely desperate to exercise their "right" to sit on a Spanish beach and get pissed for 10 days.

On the other hand the vast majority of the population of Australia live in the big cities and when the travel policy there does fail, like right now with the Delta variant, they have very strict lockdowns indeed. Parts of NSW outside of Sydney are now locked down and Aussies are not happy. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57911032

It's the UK's geography and business centric nature that has caused covid to be rampant here to start off with. Obviously, after that, we have the same sort of issues as Oz in that the populated cities are rampant but rural areas less so.

To circle back to the OP, I would agree that it seems likely at the moment that we will see a more disrupted start to this season than last, where it started late and in very strictly controlled circumstances. However, I would expect the VAST majority of senior pros to now be vaccinated - there's no excuse why not. The OP mentions senior AND youth players and I would have expected that youth players were in a separate bubble and less likely to be vaccinated, Best case is disruption to the whole country, including all sport, until such time as vaccination + natural immunity slows the spread of delta. Worst case? Back in lockdown by mid September and another season mostly BCD.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sorry?

You did notice that your beloved 'government' has decreed that it is no longer necessary to either wear a mask, or social distance? :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We've done better with vaccinations than Australia, which has mainly tried to control the virus with strict border controls. The UK in comparison has a land border with the EU, is 21 miles from France by boat and, in Heathrow, has a major business travel hub, plus a population who seem absolutely desperate to exercise their "right" to sit on a Spanish beach and get pissed for 10 days.

On the other hand the vast majority of the population of Australia live in the big cities and when the travel policy there does fail, like right now with the Delta variant, they have very strict lockdowns indeed. Parts of NSW outside of Sydney are now locked down and Aussies are not happy. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57911032

It's the UK's geography and business centric nature that has caused covid to be rampant here to start off with. Obviously, after that, we have the same sort of issues as Oz in that the populated cities are rampant but rural areas less so.

To circle back to the OP, I would agree that it seems likely at the moment that we will see a more disrupted start to this season than last, where it started late and in very strictly controlled circumstances. However, I would expect the VAST majority of senior pros to now be vaccinated - there's no excuse why not. The OP mentions senior AND youth players and I would have expected that youth players were in a separate bubble and less likely to be vaccinated, Best case is disruption to the whole country, including all sport, until such time as vaccination + natural immunity slows the spread of delta. Worst case? Back in lockdown by mid September and another season mostly BCD.

Excellently balanced post.

Inevitably there will be disruption with some players testing positive, just look at the Tokyo Olympics and they’re barely started. Hopefully our high vax rate will minimise that.

Imho there will come a time, sooner rather than later, in a vax’d and herd immunised population, where there should be no large scale reaction of all their recent contacts having to self isolate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry?

You did notice that your beloved 'government' has decreed that it is no longer necessary to either wear a mask, or social distance? :shrug:

'Freedom Day' FFS.

I would say - never has there been a more populist, ego stroking massage of the facts - but that doesn't even register in the top 10, for this month alone.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

See that man who threw a lavatory through a window? That's me, that is...

"A Florida man is facing a felony charge after flinging an old toilet through the window of the East St. Louis school board's headquarters, authorities say."

But back on topic, yes I imagine this season is going to be a shambles littered with postponed matches, re-arranged games and fixture congestion. Winning the PL will be like being the last banger still rolling in a Demolition Derby.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a fun game you can play with your friends... search google images for "Florida man" along with the the day and month of your birthday and post what comes up. Mine:

"Florida man beats ATM, says it gave too much cash"

I loves 'Florida Man' so much, never ceases to amaze and surprise.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here