Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What age to take child to first Albion game?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As the thread title suggests, really.

Can't wait to take my son to his first game (probably be one of the pre-season friendlies in a year or two, or three...) but wanted others' experiences on when they felt was roughly the right age to introduce them to the Amex.

Obviously every kid is different but still useful to gauge opinion.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Took our eldest away to Hartlepool at four months old and the youngest to the Goldstone around 18 months. Neither went again though until they were around 4 or 5 years old when they had season tickets at Gillingham. It’s obviously a little more difficult at a stadium like the Amex as you can’t move around so much.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Took my son to his first game at the Goldstone about 5/6. Unlike me, when I had to do my time in the south stand, straight into the North. Would have been 87 / 88.

Spent his first game mostly with his back to the pitch watching the (sparse) crowd and stuffing his face with hot dogs.

Lot safer today for taking kids though and far nicer surroundings.

Son a STH in WSU whilst daddy still standing and singing in the north!

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
A couple of 9/10 year olds sit near me and spend most of the match on their phones.

Unless it is a case of Dad having to take them or not go himself, I have never understood why anyone would waste money like that.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Took my daughter when she was 3 months old to the 3-0 win against Spurs the other year. Then I took her again when she was 6 months against Chelsea when Jahanbakhsh scored that bicycle kick goal and we drew 1-1.

She hasn't been back since, but then again, neither have I much thanks to bloody COVID.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sussex Senior cup final at the Amex (1st game at the Amex) Gary Hart scored, daughter was 1 year and 10 months old.
She has been back about 15 times since then, the last time v Palace just before lockdown. She is an avid Albion fan, we also go and watch the Albion women's team occasionally, we are also off to see Whitehawk v Lewes this weekend, she now also plays for a girls football team......

So...
Job done.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Son was 5 when I first took him. He was rapt the whole game but most kids at that age get bored after 20 minutes and get ants in their pants.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I was 4 when I went to my first game (Brighton 2-2 Hull at Gillingham) and have great memories of Richie Barker doing a Cruyff turn. Dad always made sure that we were sat in the family stand (often in a quiet home end if it was easier). Obviously, as you've seen [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] in the old W3H days, the passion grew and I was sold for life.

I think as long as your kid is aware and actually wants to go, all you have to do is nurture that and make it as safe and comfortable as possible. Very exciting stuff mate, chuffed for you!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
6 or 7, he didn't last the 90. don't take him much now, he doesn't like my 'enthusiasm'

we took him car racing at 7 weeks. by the age of 8 he'd done Spa, LeMans and Goodwood revivals multiple times

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Took my son to the Goldstone when he was 4. Sadly he doesn't remember it. When he was a teenager we went to hundreds of games together. He's 35 now and a bit of a fair weather fan :shrug:

If the kid is quiet and placid, any age is good. If they are fidgetty and not that interested in footy, I wouldn't take them till they ask to go.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As the thread title suggests, really.

Can't wait to take my son to his first game (probably be one of the pre-season friendlies in a year or two, or three...) but wanted others' experiences on when they felt was roughly the right age to introduce them to the Amex.

Obviously every kid is different but still useful to gauge opinion.

I think it’s impossible to tell whether or not a kid will take to it and want to continue going. We treated our two daughters exactly the same and when young they both enjoyed the day out. However, at some point the eldest became a big fan of the Albion for the game itself and is still a season ticket holder. The youngest still loves the big occasions like Wembley and Wigan and is more into the people watching. Just go with it and encourage them to do what they want would be my advice.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Were STH's when the Amex opened and my son was 2. We managed to keep it together for 3 years, but he wasn't interested after about 20 mins so we had alternative entertainment for him. Used to go into the 7 Stars after the game and give him his tea whilst the train queues eased off.
His interest has been back for a couple of years, so we've got new ST's for the coming season.
I'm looking forward to going regularly again

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A couple of 9/10 year olds sit near me and spend most of the match on their phones.

Unless it is a case of Dad having to take them or not go himself, I have never understood why anyone would waste money like that.

I was 9 when I went to my first game (in 77) and was absolutely mesmerized by the whole spectacle and pleaded to go again. Obvious smart phones didn’t exist then but I can’t imagine I’d have even thought about my phone let alone looked at it given the sensory overload of the match.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was 9 when I went to my first game (in 77) and was absolutely mesmerized by the whole spectacle and pleaded to go again. Obvious smart phones didn’t exist then but I can’t imagine I’d have even thought about my phone let alone looked at it given the sensory overload of the match.

That's because it wasn't available to you. There are plenty of kids visibly hooked to their phones while matches are under duration. My one gets a curt slapdown if he's still on it when the whistle is blown.
I'd add that there are plenty of adults that can't resist staring at a screen while the game is ongoing.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I took my oldest to his first professional football match at 5 years old. We lost 5-0 to Bournemouth at the Amex.
I took my youngest to his first professional football match at 5 years old. We beat Germany 2-0 at Wembley.

Suffice to say they were rather different experiences!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here