Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Backs

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Assuming White goes - do you think we need another or will sign another? Often play 3 at back so if everyone fit you assume that’s currently Dunky, Webster and Veltman. Burn as back up (whether he’s up to it or not is another conversation). We have some youngsters who may be able to step up possibly? Clarke has gone again - so will we need another?

I’m thinking we do and I’m thinking it may be a cheaper ‘potential 1st team or back up’ type signing like Veltman… thoughts?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes.

We need another.

But maybe one of these lads will get the nod.

Băluță - 22
Has played centre back for the U23s 6 times. Amazing long passer. Could do the job White did at DM if needed.

Dendoncker - 20
Good name.

Van Hecke - 21
Very tall.

Roberts - 19
Left footed baller.

Østigård - 21
Impressive at Coventry.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
No. Burn is a proper footballing centre back. Ostigard/Roberts/Van Hecke all highly regarded - and they all play in front of a big imposing keeper. Invest in the “put the ball in the ****ing net areas”.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Naylor thinks we will.

But I'd be happier not too and add Østigard and Băluţa to the squad instead.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes.

We need another.

Băluță - 22
Has played centre back for the U23s 6 times. Amazing long passer. Could do the job White did at DM if needed.

Dendoncker - 20
Good name.

Van Hecke - 21
Very tall.

Roberts - 19
Left footed baller.

Østigård - 21
Impressive at Coventry.

Great summary - thanks. Not seen much of them but will be holy to go with GP’s judgement. Roberts looked decent in those league cup games.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes.

We need another.

Băluță - 22

Dendoncker - 20
Good name.

Van Hecke - 21
Very tall.

Roberts - 19
Left footed baller.

Østigård - 21
Impressive at Coventry.

Don’t think any of these are ready, for example to step in and cover and injury to dunk, etc early on in the season. None have played above L1.

I’d go for an experienced Upson type. Ie a good pro willing to sit on the bench and be a good role model for the youngsters coming through.

Machi

Sep 18, 2020
Hove
Great summary - thanks. Not seen much of them but will be holy to go with GP’s judgement. Roberts looked decent in those league cup games.

Roberts seems too short and to weak physically for Premier League at the moment. At least for center back position

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Assuming White goes - do you think we need another or will sign another? Often play 3 at back so if everyone fit you assume that’s currently Dunky, Webster and Veltman. Burn as back up (whether he’s up to it or not is another conversation). We have some youngsters who may be able to step up possibly? Clarke has gone again - so will we need another?

I’m thinking we do and I’m thinking it may be a cheaper ‘potential 1st team or back up’ type signing like Veltman… thoughts?

I personally don’t think we’ll sign someone to “replace” Ben White. Our whole club recruitment strategy has been forward thinking and geared for this moment. I expect one or two of our u23’s to make the step up to the senior squad.

Who that will be is anyone’s guess but we can trust GP and the team to make the right call. Possibly Ostigard.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Indeed.

Sanchez seemed to come from out of nowhere. I wonder if another is ready?

We certainly have a history of churning out very good centre backs. And I include the likes of Elphick and El Abd in that as for the level we were at, they were terrific.

I would love it if we did another Sanchez - or even Alzate, who I think is underrated by many. Also came from ‘nowhere’ to make the step up and look comfortable.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don’t think any of these are ready, for example to step in and cover and injury to dunk, etc early on in the season. None have played above L1.

I’d go for an experienced Upson type. Ie a good pro willing to sit on the bench and be a good role model for the youngsters coming through.

Ostigaard played all of last season in the Championship for Coventry, and Van Hecke in the Dutch top tier for Hereveen.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep - took him just six years at Albion to become an overnight success. :thumbsup:

Haha you know what he meant :lol: We all knew of Sanchez and had seen him play at youth level a little but the way he just came from nowhere and was so good was mad - Walton was the one who we had the expectations of - and I think Sanchez was about 4th choice!

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Another vote for giving Roberts the opportunity as and when needed.

Not sure there's much value in trying to get in an experienced CB as cover, but I guess that's for Potter to judge.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Depends if one of the young lads can step up. People keep saying that Veltman can step into White's position, which he can, but that then takes him away from his right back duties. I'd think it will be a mix of Veltman and Ostigard taking over White's role, or if Ostigard is deemed not ready then we sign someone else.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Watching Haydon Roberts against Villa in the League Cup in 2019 made me very confident he’ll move into the first team squad. But he’s left footed and maybe not quite ready. What a player though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I personally don’t think we’ll sign someone to “replace” Ben White. Our whole club recruitment strategy has been forward thinking and geared for this moment. I expect one or two of our u23’s to make the step up to the senior squad.

Who that will be is anyone’s guess but we can trust GP and the team to make the right call. Possibly Ostigard.
Is this the same recruitment strategy that saw 2 x strikers binned off and Connolly promoted prematurely to senior striker leaving us so woefully short up front it could have cost us our place in the division has Fulham not been an absolutely inept basket case?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here