Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Snorkelling in Sussex

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Good afternoon. Question for the people of NSC. I love a snorkel, but live in Brighton. I do go out on Brighton beach, you see the odd flatfish, plenty of hermit crabs and even a squat lobster or two if you’re lucky and prepared to go out half a mile. However, I was thinking today that there must be decent places for a snorkel around here when the conditions are good.

So, NSC folk, please let me know if there is anywhere to have a decent underwater adventure? Under the pier? Rock pool beaches when the tide is in? Further afield…?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good afternoon. Question for the people of NSC. I love a snorkel, but live in Brighton. I do go out on Brighton beach, you see the odd flatfish, plenty of hermit crabs and even a squat lobster or two if you’re lucky and prepared to go out half a mile. However, I was thinking today that there must be decent places for a snorkel around here when the conditions are good.

So, NSC folk, please let me know if there is anywhere to have a decent underwater adventure? Under the pier? Rock pool beaches when the tide is in? Further afield…?
If you have Facebook look up the group " Sussex Underwater " they post some brilliant underwater footage and advice. They are " Freedivers " so just what you do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is no help to you and has more than a whiff of 'look at me' so I apologize on all counts.

Holidaying in Sharm.
On my first ever 'dive' I had no idea what to expect.
There was a pontoon walk out onto the 'plunge pool' edge of the reef.
I jumped in.
Turned to see this amazing scene.
Just as a moray eel (?) popped out.
I followed it, touching distance, along the reef face, until it finally went back into a hole in the wall.

Should have gone home after that as there was f**k all else to see for the rest of the week. :lolol:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Great, now I've got that stupid B-52's Rock Lobster song in my head.

Great, now I’ve got that stupid Peter Griffin Rock Lobster song in my head

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Is your first name Simon by any chance :D

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

Used to be quite profitable under the pier years ago.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If you have Facebook look up the group " Sussex Underwater " they post some brilliant underwater footage and advice. They are " Freedivers " so just what you do.

I can scuba dive, but can’t free dive unfortunately. Too many fags in my younger days

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This is no help to you and has more than a whiff of 'look at me' so I apologize on all counts.

Holidaying in Sharm.
On my first ever 'dive' I had no idea what to expect.
There was a pontoon walk out onto the 'plunge pool' edge of the reef.
I jumped in.
Turned to see this amazing scene.
Just as a moray eel (?) popped out.
I followed it, touching distance, along the reef face, until it finally went back into a hole in the wall.

Should have gone home after that as there was f**k all else to see for the rest of the week. :lolol:

I’ve seen some amazing things snorkelling from the house reefs in Sharm. Octopuses mating, an eagle ray, napoleon wrasse…

Diver Dave

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham by sea
As mentioned , Sussex underwater facebook page plus Sussex Spearfishing face book page, you will see what’s happening under the water along the Sussex coast., and give you an idea of where to go.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
As mentioned , Sussex underwater facebook page plus Sussex Spearfishing face book page, you will see what’s happening under the water along the Sussex coast., and give you an idea of where to go.

You have been waiting for a thread like this.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Used to be quite profitable under the pier years ago.

Years ago I used to to regularly fish out from Brighton Marina.

When the tide was right on our return, you would struggle to believe just how many lobsters we ‘accidentally’ netted coming back into the port.

Wasn’t there a lobster rearing business back then?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Yep, right up my street this one, I’ve been free diving the Sussex coast for 40 years, first time I’ve been any use to anyone on here😀

I for one have been appreciative of your contribution so far :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here