NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with your mate. Global Village Trucking Company, who supported them, were more enjoyable. In my opinion.

I have a feeling that all the gigs I saw between 1973 and 1976, I went with you :lolol: :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whispering Bob is a Country Rock fan at heart and I agree wholeheartedly with his dissing of the New York Dolls who were shitehouse beyond any duff Albion signing :smile:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whispering Bob is a Country Rock fan at heart and I agree wholeheartedly with his dissing of the New York Dolls who were shitehouse beyond any duff Albion signing :smile:

I loved his programmes. Introduced me to Sopwith Camel, Souther Hillman Fury Band, et al.

But he was a tit over NYD just because they didn't fit into his very narrow indeed spectrum of acceptable music. :shrug:

Bit surprised at your attitude over them, too.

He'd run for cover if someone played him this (below). His loss. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJnCIljETWU

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ticks all the right boxes OP answers his own thread BBC, 17:15, Weekdays

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair, I thought the New York Dolls were a tad shite too. Conversely, I thought some of the stuff Whispering Bob eulogised was a bit shite as well - he really didn't like loud rock much, did he.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
or punk, new wave.

Exactly. Noisy, loud electric guitars, loud drums, and singers maybe putting in a bit of a shout along with the tune. On the other hand, somebody with just a piano or an acoustic guitar, murmuring softly into the microphone ...................... that was meaningful!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. Noisy, loud electric guitars, loud drums, and singers maybe putting in a bit of a shout along with the tune. On the other hand, somebody with just a piano or an an acoustic guirtar, murmuring softly into the microphone ...................... that was meaningful!

Love or hate the music from 76 onwards, but at least it created a sweeping aside of some of the characters who felt they were THE voice of popular music. Art evolves.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Can’t recall seeing this before, here’s the brilliant Eric Idle mocking the pretentiousness of Harris and that era.

Excellent! I didn’t watch much of Bob on OGWT in the 70s but his style was certainly distinctive! However I have listened to him much more in the past 20 years or so and always catch his country show which I enjoy. I met him watching Nickel Creek at the Irish Centre in Digbeth in the early 2000s and he was just a normal music fan in that setting.
This Eric Idle pastiche is classic though!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ooh it’s a corner;9935211 said:
Excellent! I didn’t watch much of Bob on OGWT in the 70s but his style was certainly distinctive! However I have listened to him much more in the past 20 years or so and always catch his country show which I enjoy. I met him watching Nickel Creek at the Irish Centre in Digbeth in the early 2000s and he was just a normal music fan in that setting.
This Eric Idle pastiche is classic though!

Saw Nickel Creek at St. George's church in Kemp Town. Brilliant band. Back on topic, I like Bob. It would be unusual for a presenter to like every artist on his shows back in the day. Everybody has their preferred style of music as first choice to listen to and Bob, like me, drifted into appreciating 'country music' and it's many diverse strands. I only met him once, so far, when I worked in a London bank and cashed a cheque for him at our Mayfair branch. He wore a badge with a strawberry on it. I don't remember how much he cashed. Younger readers can ask their parents what a cheque is.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The old Grey Whistle Test when Whispering Bob would had some great bands on as a youngster I would stay up late to watch it and record it onto a cassette tape, Bob really did whisper so I would need to turn the volume up then on would come a band at a thousand decibels and I would be scrambling to turn the volume down before it woke the house

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here