Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Christ. There's nothing in the BBC article, and a link to a larger instruction article (TL-DR). The question is simple. Which direction? Which?!

I think from previous experience, direction was largely unimportant, I think you'll see them from pretty much just looking straight up. If you've got a sun lounger in your back garden, they're quite good to lie back on and just stare at the sky.

Last year it started just before midnight, but there were only a few sporadic ones. It think it gets better in the early hours of the morning.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The moon phase looks better this year, too, especially the new moon on the 8th Aug, which is near the peak meteor activity.
Probably be a load a cloud cover, though....as per.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The meteors will be visible from 16 July to 23 August this summer – though the peak dates to spot them will be between 12 and 13 August when, if you are lucky, you might see as many as 150 per hour.

It's always just before my birthday, so head out to where there is as little light pollution as possible, and wait until between midnight and 02.00.
Even in cities, you will see the odd shooting star.

https://inews.co.uk/news/science/pe...watch-perseids-meteors-peak-when-date-1103543

albionite

May 20, 2009
Sat out last night trying to see this shower, only saw one shooting star (stayed out until 2am) did see loads of satellites

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think from previous experience, direction was largely unimportant, I think you'll see them from pretty much just looking straight up. If you've got a sun lounger in your back garden, they're quite good to lie back on and just stare at the sky.

Last year it started just before midnight, but there were only a few sporadic ones. It think it gets better in the early hours of the morning.

A mild to moderate dose of LSD or MDMA will enhance the experience but if you want to tailgate a meteor the Ayeuschka the way to go .....wonderful things meteors, come out of nowhere , give you a fleeting moment of exhilaration and wonder and then disappear from your life....a bit like my 3rd , 4th , 7th and 8th wives.:mad:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Christ. There's nothing in the BBC article, and a link to a larger instruction article (TL-DR). The question is simple. Which direction? Which?!

Easiest thing is to look for the big W'* in the northern sky, that's Cassiopeia and it's easy to spot, that neck of the woods/ sky.

*it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have been out the last 3 nights trying to do some Milky Way pictures. On Thursday I saw two really good meteorites, first was a short trail but then a flash of yellow around it . The second was lower to the horizon to the south, a trail of orange and then it disappeared. Slightly peed off about the second as I had just stopped taking pictures in the exact direction.

I am assuming the fairly bright flying object going NW to SE is the space station , is there away of checking.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I have been out the last 3 nights trying to do some Milky Way pictures. On Thursday I saw two really good meteorites, first was a short trail but then a flash of yellow around it . The second was lower to the horizon to the south, a trail of orange and then it disappeared. Slightly peed off about the second as I had just stopped taking pictures in the exact direction.

I am assuming the fairly bright flying object going NW to SE is the space station , is there away of checking.

Iss live now, ap will show you where it is and what track, plus pictures of the earth it is going over.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

A good app for your phone is Heavens-Above. Not just the night sky (wherever you live) but the complete list of all satellites. The Starlink Train (Elon Musk) is fantastic to view if you're lucky enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here