Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Official Open Golf thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm somewhat perplexed I find myself doing this thread on the Friday, anyhoo here it is, and here's the reason.

On one of my pod's Steve Sands (sandsy - "La Cheesearie") of The Golf Channel, who'll be commentating on this weekend was asked to pick 2 rank outsiders who might surprise 'us'.

Sandsy picked:-

Mackenzie Hughes - 4 under after 18 - currently 80/1
&
Matthaus Schmid - 1 under after 36 - currently 1000/1

Sorry for the delay in passing on this info as it's obviously had an effect on there odds, which I'm sure would have been considerably higher before under par first rounds.

So do what you will with this info, it's nothing to do with me, I'm just the humble messenger.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Shame Morikawa dropped a shot on 15

Looking like he was going to shoot 61/62 (Par 70)

Probably 63/64 now

Better conditions than yesterday afternoon

Still not happening for Rory though

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Rory would be great if he could putt Edit: He's holed one!! Bryson blaming his clubs for his poor round yesterday. Tit. Morikawa playing beautifully.

DeChambeau really does come across as a massive tit. His game is based on absolutely ripping his drives, favouring power over control - then he blames his clubs for missing fairways? As you say: TIT.

I had a little each-way flutter on both Finau (45/1) and Oooooooosthuizen (30/1). Top 10 pays 1/5 odds, so I'm pleased with both so far.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
DeChambeau really does come across as a massive tit. His game is based on absolutely ripping his drives, favouring power over control - then he blames his clubs for missing fairways? As you say: TIT.

I had a little each-way flutter on both Finau (45/1) and Oooooooosthuizen (30/1). Top 10 pays 1/5 odds, so I'm pleased with both so far.

He certainly does. There is a time and place to try to overpower a golf course - the Open isn't it on a course where the fairways are hardly flat and the rough is knee high. The blokes an oaf.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think it's the Tiger factor, no Tiger there is always less interest in majors.

Rory needs to sort his putting out but Paul McGinley still believes Rory can do it and is very much in the mix.

Would love to see Koepka win it.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Rory would be great if he could putt Edit: He's holed one!! Bryson blaming his clubs for his poor round yesterday. Tit. Morikawa playing beautifully.

He certainly does. There is a time and place to try to overpower a golf course - the Open isn't it on a course where the fairways are hardly flat and the rough is knee high. The blokes an oaf.

https://www.espn.co.uk/golf/story/_/id/31823540/a-frustrated-bryson-dechambeau-blames-first-round-open-woes-driver

In fairness to DeChambeau, I've seen that he issued an apology. I still think he's a tit, despite what his PR management team made him say (probably after some stern 'advice' from Cobra who must pay him a pretty penny or two...)

"The comment I made in my post round interview today was very unprofessional," DeChambeau said in his statement. "My frustration and emotions over the way I drove the ball today boiled over. I sucked today, not my equipment. Cobra and I have worked together for over five years and they are some of the hardest working people in [the] golf industry and make an incredible product. Their team is like family to me, especially Ben Schomin, who has been there for me every step of the way since I started my career.

"I deeply regret the words I used earlier. I am relentless in pursuit of improvement and perfection. Part of that causes me to become outwardly frustrated at times. With the new speeds I am obtaining, my game is a constant work in progress and so is controlling my emotions."​

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Still no English winner since Faldo 29 years ago and doesn't look that like will change anytime soon
Golf not the same without Tiger, he was the punters pal
Think Rahm will be closest in dominating golf in the future

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
&

The former is joint 12th 6 shots off the lead.
The latter joint 40th shooting a 65 today.

Noice

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm somewhat perplexed I find myself doing this thread on the Friday, anyhoo here it is, and here's the reason.

On one of my pod's Steve Sands (sandsy - "La Cheesearie") of The Golf Channel, who'll be commentating on this weekend was asked to pick 2 rank outsiders who might surprise 'us'.

Sandsy picked:-

&

Sorry for the delay in passing on this info as it's obviously had an effect on there odds, which I'm sure would have been considerably higher before under par first rounds.

So do what you will with this info, it's nothing to do with me, I'm just the humble messenger.
Usually some bloke no one has heard of wins it then... No one hears about him again after another 18 months or so....and repeat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Usually some bloke no one has heard of wins it then... No one hears about him again after another 18 months or so....and repeat.
:shrug:

Hughes was in the last group of the US Open, falling away but finishing T15.
T17th in his last USPGA event..
£7m career earnings.

Just because you have never heard of him doesn't mean NOBODY has ever heard of him.

Sure t'other fella doesn't know which end of a golf bat to hold, hence being 1000/1.
But I suggest that tip is even more impressive after his round of 65 yesterday.

(He was European Amateur Champion for the last 2 years)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised nobody has 'made a move' today.
Conditions seem pretty much perfect for someone to put the rest behind them, but as yet nothing.

I've had the coverage on but haven't been glued to it.
Every time I've seen balding Jordan Spieth he's not been troubling the fairway's and yet has scrambled his way to joint leader.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've got mightily confused with my bets (beer garden, scrap of paper and phone) but I THINK I'm going to win at least £50 whatever opens and maybe over £100 if OOooooozterhaizen wins #unfortunately alifechangingsumofmoney.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Speith was lucky today with his bounces and lies in the rough but did not make the most of them. Louis was not as good today as the first 2 days but still shot under par, so his to lose. Rahm to charge tomorrow maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here