Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Deadly floods in Germany

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Apologies if I’ve missed a thread on this, but some pretty distressing images and figures coming out of Germany (and other parts of Europe) following horrendous floods. Now over 100 people confirmed dead and still hundreds unaccounted for.

I’ve witnessed some significant floods in the UK, but never anything which came close to posing a significant threat to human life. This just isn’t ‘normal’, is it?

I am by no means a climate activist - to the contrary I eat meat and drive a diesel car. But it’s difficult to look at what’s going on over there and not wonder whether we have to do far more, now. This might not just be a problem for future generations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-57860153

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
All the time fossil fuels continue to make people horrendously wealthy it's hard to see an end to the cycle of destruction. That being said, I think it's worth remembering that our own individual actions can help. Studies have suggested that reducing meat and dairy is the single biggest thing an individual can do to reduce their impact on the environment and using alternative transport to get about is a pretty easy one too. Many people will unfortunately scoff at the idea that individual action can change things but you've got to remember that companies follow the money. If enough people are proactive, then companies will respond with more environmentally friendly alternatives. We just have to hope it's not too late :(

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Reminds me a lot of Thames valley floods in 2007. 80 deaths though is shocking...

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Perhaps the climate change message will finally sink in if its hitting mainland Europe to this degree.

Horrible situation with forest fires in Canada and hottest ever temperatures in parts of America. The pandemic took over but this really is the bigger issue.

RIP to the poor people trapped

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All the time fossil fuels continue to make people horrendously wealthy it's hard to see an end to the cycle of destruction. That being said, I think it's worth remembering that our own individual actions can help. Studies have suggested that reducing meat and dairy is the single biggest thing an individual can do to reduce their impact on the environment and using alternative transport to get about is a pretty easy one too. Many people will unfortunately scoff at the idea that individual action can change things but you've got to remember that companies follow the money. If enough people are proactive, then companies will respond with more environmentally friendly alternatives. We just have to hope it's not too late :(

Disagree on a lot of this, but primarily:
First, it's policy change that will be the primary driver of limiting CC, not individual action
Second, yes, too much meat is eaten, and consumption should be drastically reduced, but you'll be left with a burning planet if stopping eating meat is all you do or encourage others to do

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
There were also the dreadful fires in Australia in early 2020.
Sadly the media tend to focus on climate related disasters when they occur in wealthier countries than the increase of devastating, persistent problems throughout the poorer countries in Africa, Asia and South America.
The pandemic could be a form of nature trying to put a stop on humanity's destructive tendencies.
The Earth's climate has always changed and will continue to do so but only a fool would consider we haven't made a mess of our beautiful planet.
Unfortunately I'm expecting things to get much worse in the future.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Perhaps the climate change message will finally sink in if its hitting mainland Europe to this degree.

Horrible situation with forest fires in Canada and hottest ever temperatures in parts of America. The pandemic took over but this really is the bigger issue.

RIP to the poor people trapped

Europe has been experiencing increasingly extreme and erratic climatic conditions for a long time now. There were a lot of deaths as a result of the heat waves in 2003, for instance. Yet carbon emissions have continued to increase subsequently. And we have a government that is devoid of a policy agenda despite claiming that they're solving the issue. Dither and delay.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If anything good comes from it, it'll be the EU putting more weight behind reform.

while we burn and drown in their background.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sometimes weather is just weather, some of the hottest record temperatures go way way back. Hard to except for some.

That's very true. Some even go back as far as 6 years.

"The warmest six years have all been since 2015, with 2016, 2019 and 2020 being the top three." - Word Meteorological Organisation

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That's very true. Some even go back as far as 6 years.

"The warmest six years have all been since 2015, with 2016, 2019 and 2020 being the top three." - Word Meteorological Organisation

Don't bother.

Anyone left still making that argument is:

a) Irrelevent
b) An idiot

No point in arguing. And no need.

Question is no longer 'is it happening?' Question is what do we do.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Denying climate change is frankly astounding, it ****s me off to such a degree that I can't really put my sense of frustration into adequate words. Seemingly intelligent people claiming it's just been a bit hot and wet recently... Seriously?!? what the **** is wrong with them? I can only assume they're absolutely terrified and thus in complete denial.

It's here and it's going to make Covid look like a bun fight down the local WI. People really need to get their heads out of the sand on this one.

Have you ever wondered what living in a global disaster movie might be like? Well, we're about to find out... Just ask those poor sods in Germany, alas tragically it's too late for some, you see - they're dead.

Those in denial, wake up.

Working in the water industry, I'm privy to quite a significant amount of analytical rainfall/temperature data and I can tell you all with absolute clarity that the UK climate has already changed to a worrying degree during the past decade. This is just the beginning of the end.

It's my children I worry for, they're going to be given a world almost beyond repair. In my lifetime I expect to see the beginning of our own, our very own mass extinction event, the collapse of society and the near ruination of this planet. It's the biggest thing I struggle with everyday, the clear knowledge that the end of this society powered by the evil of voodoo economics is bringing about it's own downfall. We're overpopulated, bloated and the emerging economic powerhouses are exhibiting all the environmental 'ethics' that the Victorians did here.

Oh yes, we're ****ed.

But it's okay. Bond is out this summer and Indy 5 will be out next year.

Yey.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
E6ZoPVRX0AQ8OZf.jpeg

A place called Blessem had this gravel pit get quite a bit larger. Absolutely mental amount of rain they had in 48 hours.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Disagree on a lot of this, but primarily:
First, it's policy change that will be the primary driver of limiting CC, not individual action
Second, yes, too much meat is eaten, and consumption should be drastically reduced, but you'll be left with a burning planet if stopping eating meat is all you do or encourage others to do

I never said individual action would be the primary driver, merely that it can make a difference. It’s not rocket science that companies will respond to consumer habits as to not do so wouldn’t be financially viable. I am in full agreement that it will be policy change that does the 'heavy lifting'. I am also not suggesting that a reduction of meat is the only thing that people could, or should, do, merely that several studies (including the largest study ever conducted, looking at what humans eat and it’s environmental impact) suggest that reducing meat is the single biggest thing an individual can do. Especially considering that animal agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation, species extinction, habitat loss, water pollution and ocean dead zones.

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Denying climate change is frankly astounding, it ****s me off to such a degree that I can't really put my sense of frustration into adequate words. Seemingly intelligent people claiming it's just been a bit hot and wet recently... Seriously?!? what the **** is wrong with them? I can only assume they're absolutely terrified and thus in complete denial.

It's here and it's going to make Covid look like a bun fight down the local WI. People really need to get their heads out of the sand on this one.

Have you ever wondered what living in a global disaster movie might be like? Well, we're about to find out... Just ask those poor sods in Germany, alas tragically it's too late for some, you see - they're dead.

Those in denial, wake up.

Working in the water industry, I'm privy to quite a significant amount of analytical rainfall/temperature data and I can tell you all with absolute clarity that the UK climate has already changed to a worrying degree during the past decade. This is just the beginning of the end.

It's my children I worry for, they're going to be given a world almost beyond repair. In my lifetime I expect to see the beginning of our own, our very own mass extinction event, the collapse of society and the near ruination of this planet. It's the biggest thing I struggle with everyday, the clear knowledge that the end of this society powered by the evil of voodoo economics is bringing about it's own downfall. We're overpopulated, bloated and the emerging economic powerhouses are exhibiting all the environmental 'ethics' that the Victorians did here.

It's a bleak assessment, but I'm with you. Vast amounts of the world are becoming uninhabitable - look at the heatwaves at the moment, the worsening fires, the extreme winds and winters. Last year half a million people were evacuated from Oregon due to fires. There's a fire again in Oregon at the moment that grows 4 miles every few hours - so far it's over 10,000 evacuated in 9 days of burning, how long before that gets out of hand again? And it's not even in the news. And what's worse is that of those half a million evacuated last year a good number haven't ever gone home: in the affluent west we already have people displaced by climate change let alone in the poorer countries. And it's not just Oregon that burns.

Global warming is currently about 1 degree from memory - in the next 30 years it's anticipated to be another 3 or 4 degrees, but that 1 degree is already enough to change seasons. Even conservative estimates say at 3 degrees west coast USA becomes pretty much uninhabitable for most of the year due to fires. At 4 degrees there's rising sea levels which means hurricanes and flooding too. Imagine the food shortages and compromises to quality of life that are coming? It's horrific. In 10-15 years it's quite possible, even probable, that huge wind storms, fire storms, floods are going to be common in a lot of the world.

Here's another bleak figure: by the end of this year 5 million people will have died this year alone just from the extreme temperatures caused by climate change let alone any other impact of climate change. But it's barely spoken about because it's not some kind of "big bang" cataclysmic event to grab attention.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's a bleak assessment, but I'm with you. Vast amounts of the world are becoming uninhabitable - look at the heatwaves at the moment, the worsening fires, the extreme winds and winters. Last year half a million people were evacuated from Oregon due to fires. There's a fire again in Oregon at the moment that grows 4 miles every few hours - so far it's over 10,000 evacuated in 9 days of burning, how long before that gets out of hand again? And it's not even in the news. And what's worse is that of those half a million evacuated last year a good number haven't ever gone home: in the affluent west we already have people displaced by climate change let alone in the poorer countries. And it's not just Oregon that burns.

Global warming is currently about 1 degree from memory - in the next 30 years it's anticipated to be another 3 or 4 degrees, but that 1 degree is already enough to change seasons. Even conservative estimates say at 3 degrees west coast USA becomes pretty much uninhabitable for most of the year due to fires. At 4 degrees there's rising sea levels which means hurricanes and flooding too. Imagine the food shortages and compromises to quality of life that are coming? It's horrific. In 10-15 years it's quite possible, even probable, that huge wind storms, fire storms, floods are going to be common in a lot of the world.

Here's another bleak figure: by the end of this year 5 million people will have died this year alone just from the extreme temperatures caused by climate change let alone any other impact of climate change. But it's barely spoken about because it's not some kind of "big bang" cataclysmic event to grab attention.

Absolutely on the money. Climate change is the true curse of our society, the true pandemic. I'm not sure we can hope to fix it, indeed it's probable it's already too late. How long before the 'normal' society collapses? food/supply chains? We're heading back to the dark ages, indeed this will be the second dark age of man. The planet is going to punish us for our reckless disregard for anything other than economic gain, greed and status.

Oh and there is no God, so praying isn't going to work... luck is about all you can rely on, we'll be eating each other by 2080. Easter Island strikes again. The likes of Malthus predicted this, the industry of fire and iron, steel and coal... the 'progress' we longed for is going to send us back to the stone ages, if indeed any of us survive at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here