Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] If you need your faith in humanity restoring just a little...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know this is the subject of a 'sticky' at the top of the page but I also know that once stickies have been there for a certain period we all tend to skip past them, so I thought this was worth re-posting on the main board. (I can merge the two threads in time). Even if you have read Jeremy's story previously it is worth taking a moment out your day to re-read it, plus his update which I've copied at the bottom of this post.

On 13 May [MENTION=35013]SeagullsD123[/MENTION] posted this:

Hi All,

Not a big poster in here but love to read the discussion. I'm a 19-year-old called Jeremy who used have season ticket with my late dad. This club still remains so important to me and some of my happiest memories with my dad were following Brighton on the road.

In April 2017, my Mum, Clare, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease. The disease meant that she was eventually unable to walk, move her arms, hold her head up unassisted, eat or drink though her mouth or even speak. While not really understanding the gravity of the situation at first, as my Mum quickly lost her independence, life became incredibly tough for us all. To add more fuel on the fire, my Dad, Giles, was then diagnosed with a brain tumour in late 2017. This left me and my sister in complete shock and despair as, at the start of the year, all was absolutely fine, and by November both our parents were terminally ill with conditions that aggressively attacked the body.

Devastatingly in September 2018 my Dad passed away and after battling bravely with MND for two years, my Mum passed away in 2019. Finishing school made it tough to properly grieve my parents as life was just so busy and school was naturally an escapist environment. Once covid hit and exams were cancelled, it really gave me the ability to catch my breath and perhaps plan some adventures before university.

When my Dad's brain begun to shut down, football remained a real common language and while he couldn't always remember what he had for lunch he did manage to remember there's only one Glenn Murray.

A bit further down the line, I've found myself with a real urge to raise some money for both the MND Association and the Brain Tumour Charity, who lead research into my parents' conditions. On Monday I'm setting off on my bike with a tent and a couple of essential items in search of the best breakfast this nation has to offer! It's a challenge I would never have seen myself undertaking this time last year, but, with a bike to my disposal and life in Britain opening up again, all seemed like a brilliant way to raise money for two charities incredibly close to my heart.

You can find out a little bit more about my challenge here and I live over in Kent but I'll travelling along the South Coast up until the New Forest so any breakfast recommendations would be much appreciated! You can find out a little bit more about the challenge here... https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TourdeFullEnglish

...then earlier today he posted this:

Hi everyone, thanks a million for all the support over the challenge. 2552 miles later have arrived home safely after 8 weeks on the road! The fundraising for the Brain Tumour Charity and the MND Association has also now surpassed £30,000. When I the wrote that message on NSC at the start of the challenge, I would never have thought that the two charities would get this much publicity and support. Thanks so much for all your messages, shares and donations. It all means the absolute world!

What a fantastic achievement. You can't help feeling that this country could do with a few more people like Jeremy.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Absolutely brilliant [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for bouncing this. I hadn’t read it before. I lost both my parents 6 weeks apart either side of my 17th birthday, so I appreciate what he’s been through. That was in 1970, so I’ve had time to get over it.

Have just donated. £30k plus is amazing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Amazing achievement :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I cannot imagine how horrendous it must be to lose both parents so close together and at such a young age. It's a remarkable achievement to raise so much money for such worthy causes. If anyone has a few quid spare you could do a lot worse than supporting Jeremy/ [MENTION=35013]SeagullsD123[/MENTION]

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
His updates on Instagram are worth going back and having a look at if you haven't seen them.

Won't give it away but it culminates with a cliffhanger to finish up on!!

Well done [MENTION=35013]SeagullsD123[/MENTION] amazing achievement and an amazing amount of money raised!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=35013]SeagullsD123[/MENTION] , you are an absolute ****ing hero, just for continuing to function, and getting through to the end of school, never mind the subsequent fundraising efforts.

I lost my Dad last year to cancer, and at the age of 49, I was a complete mess for some time - struggling to focus on anything at all. To cope as you have in your circumstances is remarkable, and I take my hat off to you :bowdown:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Thanks for bouncing this. I hadn’t read it before. I lost both my parents 6 weeks apart either side of my 17th birthday, so I appreciate what he’s been through. That was in 1970, so I’ve had time to get over it.

Have just donated. £30k plus is amazing.

Losing both parents so early is tough.

You never really get over it, but you grow stronger and time heals all wounds.

£30k is fantastic. Well done to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here