Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] International striker signs!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I do wish the best to womens team and admire Bloom for backing them. However how can paying a fee for a player be justified when we have gates of 3/400 and tickets at £5 with free transport.. With full time staff as well it must be a real drain on resources. Can anybody who follows them give opinion on financial future of the team. Do you think aim is to pay there way by attracting crowds of 2/3k at £20ish or will always have to be bailed out. Surely this is fine all the time we have PL income but a concern if ever relegated.
Maybe EFL are throwing £m s at womens football to get it going.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I do wish the best to womens team and admire Bloom for backing them. However how can paying a fee for a player be justified when we have gates of 3/400 and tickets at £5 with free transport.. With full time staff as well it must be a real drain on resources. Can anybody who follows them give opinion on financial future of the team. Do you think aim is to pay there way by attracting crowds of 2/3k at £20ish or will always have to be bailed out. Surely this is fine all the time we have PL income but a concern if ever relegated.

no you dont

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
wind up? A post about the Women's game being unsustainable when Bloom has put in a few hundred million to run the men's team over the last few years?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Women's football is going to get big - then very big - and quite quickly.

It is being pushed & promoted by the government (and not just in this country), by the FA, by FIFA, by equality groups, and more.

You would be mad not to invest in women's football when it costs pennies compared to what we invest in the men's team.

It is not in any way about expecting a direct return via gates. It's more to do with investing in something that will be big in the future, and also investing in the BHAFC brand. BHAFC women's team WILL be live on TV this season, and probably numerous times.

Thank you. Very good and interesting. Hope it works out. As a matter of interest I know all senior cricket clubs have junior girls teams Is this the same with local football clubs
Do you know if Albion produce separate accounts for women's side.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
wind up? A post about the Women's game being unsustainable when Bloom has put in a few hundred million to run the men's team over the last few years?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking. Mens football has been a massive financial black hole for TB, hardly a model of fiscal efficiency to compare the womens football to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Exactly what I was thinking. Mens football has been a massive financial black hole for TB, hardly a model of fiscal efficiency to compare the womens football to.

In a content hungry world, there’s a chance that women’s football can enjoy significant commercial growth in the next decade - and there is ALWAYS the betting market to be looked at. Of course, our potless and clueless chairman knows **** all about that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

It's probably best to give a nuanced answer here. There's a few things to consider, not just Tony Bloom's money. The most recent of these is the new TV rights deal.

As well as the sponsorship money from Barclays, the new WSL 3 year broadcast deal with BBC and Sky Sports.that was announced in March will provide an additional £8m a season, with £6m of that being shared, some equally and some on merit, between 12 WSL clubs. The remaining £2m will be shared between Championship sides. No money will be available at this stage for teams further down the pyramid. There's a choice here for women's teams to use this finance, roughly £500,000 per WSL club, as either additional money or to reduce loans or gifted payments from parent clubs or benefactors.

Coverage will be 22 live matches (1 per week) on BBC (18 of those on BBC One or BBC Two) and a minimum of 35 (possibly up to 44) live matches on Sky Football / Premier League / Main Event, some of which will also be on Sky One or Sky Sports Mix.

Whilst an additional £8m a season may sound impressive, it pales into insignificance when compared with the £4.8bn that Sky, BT and Amazon paid for the renewal of the Premier League deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/12/premier-league-set-for-45bn-new-tv-deal-with-sky-bt-and-amazon

Clearly visibility will improve with matches on free-to-air TV, but if there was significant interest in the rights, the likes of BT and Amazon would have stepped in.

So as good as free-to-air sport is and as much as we all want to see young girls encouraged to play sport, I'm not completely convinced that this particular deal confirms women's football popularity, at least on a domestic level and separate from Euros and World Cups. The Amex is due to host one of the Lionesses Euro games next summer. I've no doubt that this will be sold out.

The elephant in the room is whether more visibility on TV will result in more paying spectators at at women's football matches week-in, week-out.

Even with the Crawley location factor, Albion Women's most recent WSL attendances 7 months ago with spectators against Chelsea and Reading brought 457 and 365.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55204209
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55291003

On the refereeing level, Joanna Stimpson, the FA's women's professional game refereeing manager, says currently there is not the "value" in the women's game to afford to pay full-time referees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56103664

As far as prize money goes for the Women's FA Cup, it's tiny. Albion Women have earned £5,000 in reaching the Quarter-Final stage. Victory over Charlton in September would bring another £4,000, whilst a Semi-Final defeat afterwards would result in only an additional £1,250. So just over 10 grand in total for reaching the last 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_Women%27s_FA_Cup

So whilst wishing Albion Women every success, it's probably fair to say that the jury is still out for the domestic women's game and how it will develop.

And from an admittedly parochial viewpoint, let's start with getting Brighton playing in Brighton.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's probably best to give a nuanced answer here. There's a few things to consider, not just Tony Bloom's money. The most recent of these is the new TV rights deal.

As well as the sponsorship money from Barclays, the new WSL 3 year broadcast deal with BBC and Sky Sports.that was announced in March will provide an additional £8m a season, with £6m of that being shared, some equally and some on merit, between 12 WSL clubs. The remaining £2m will be shared between Championship sides. No money will be available at this stage for teams further down the pyramid. There's a choice here for women's teams to use this finance, roughly £500,000 per WSL club, as either additional money or to reduce loans or gifted payments from parent clubs or benefactors.

Coverage will be 22 live matches (1 per week) on BBC (18 of those on BBC One or BBC Two) and a minimum of 35 (possibly up to 44) live matches on Sky Football / Premier League / Main Event, some of which will also be on Sky One or Sky Sports Mix.

Whilst an additional £8m a season may sound impressive, it pales into insignificance when compared with the £4.8bn that Sky, BT and Amazon paid for the renewal of the Premier League deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/12/premier-league-set-for-45bn-new-tv-deal-with-sky-bt-and-amazon

Clearly visibility will improve with matches on free-to-air TV, but if there was significant interest in the rights, the likes of BT and Amazon would have stepped in.

So as good as free-to-air sport is and as much as we all want to see young girls encouraged to play sport, I'm not completely convinced that this particular deal confirms women's football popularity, at least on a domestic level and separate from Euros and World Cups. The Amex is due to host one of the Lionesses Euro games next summer. I've no doubt that this will be sold out.

The elephant in the room is whether more visibility on TV will result in more paying spectators at at women's football matches week-in, week-out.

Even with the Crawley location factor, Albion Women's most recent WSL attendances 7 months ago with spectators against Chelsea and Reading brought 457 and 365.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55204209
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55291003

On the refereeing level, Joanna Stimpson, the FA's women's professional game refereeing manager, says currently there is not the "value" in the women's game to afford to pay full-time referees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56103664

As far as prize money goes for the Women's FA Cup, it's tiny. Albion Women have earned £5,000 in reaching the Quarter-Final stage. Victory over Charlton in September would bring another £4,000, whilst a Semi-Final defeat afterwards would result in only an additional £1,250. So just over 10 grand in total for reaching the last 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_Women%27s_FA_Cup

So whilst wishing Albion Women every success, it's probably fair to say that the jury is still out for the domestic women's game and how it will develop.

And from an admittedly parochial viewpoint, let's start with getting Brighton playing in Brighton.

I do watch it, enjoy it sometimes and respect the level however if I would like to see investment it has to be goalkeeper coaching, for now it is pitiful across all teams.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Regardless if people agree with this, but it's a bloody good signing. Dani Carter will bring a wealth of experience to our developing girls team and be able to chip in with a few goals as well. They want top four, this is the type of player that will help get us there

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

There is no however.

Tony Bloom has chosen to support the development of women's football.

There could be a 'however' on all the losses the Albion racked up on the journey to the Premier League, including a massive debt to the chairman for the stadium.

Not many Albion fans mention that....

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Here's a hands up for Newhaven. I've lived in Brighton for nearly 62 years, and it was only last week, that I found out that Ho Chi Minh was based there just after the first world war. He was a pastry chef on the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry, before he decided to take his career by the scruff of the neck and lead his country. He has a plaque on the west quay, just in front of the posh new flats.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ok, it's a fair cop. I posted the comment above on the wrong thread. Anyone can make a mistake......

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
There is no however.

Tony Bloom has chosen to support the development of women's football.

There could be a 'however' on all the losses the Albion racked up on the journey to the Premier League, including a massive debt to the chairman for the stadium.

Not many Albion fans mention that....

Bloom invested in Amex and team because he hoped potential 25k plus gates ahead and if got to PL income would rise by £100m plus..In a covid free situation if financially he ran club like Norwich and Burnley we could even pay back a chunk each year. It is good for us all that he has continued to buy players and spend on training ground. So there was an end aim for his investment in mens team. Surely our womens set up will not take great strides forward until they play in or near Brighton. Sure has been mentioned before but why dont they play at Withdean.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If it was in Brighton or eben Lewes or Eastbourne I might go occasionally when in the country.

I suspect Crawley is better for attracting the majority London based players however. If we want to get the team back south then we probably need to develop home grown players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here