Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BJ 'Levelling Up' Speech - A Masterclass In Gibberish

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are lots of reasons for this but you can't really compare a Tory leader to a Labour one anyway because the playing field isn't level.

While this is true, Smith was more than 20% ahead of Major at the time of his untimely death, so while Labour are at disadvantage, Smith managed to overcome this

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
While this is true, Smith was more than 20% ahead of Major at the time of his untimely death, so while Labour are at disadvantage, Smith managed to overcome this
But in 2021, if Smith was pro-EU and Major was a Brexit cheerleader, it wouldn't matter how incompetent Major was (or how competent Smith was), the right wing media wouldn't even pretend to be even handed with their political coverage. Johnson is an appalling man and a terrible PM, yet he is barely scrutinised by anyone in the media.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Apparently when you first set up an account on NSC, the mods make an assessment of attention span before deciding whether to send the new NSC user the 'Full rules of NSC' pdf that states unequivocally that not all threads have to be read in section 7 para 3.5 and the category and subject of the thread should be used to selectively browse :shrug:

I only found this out recently as I had just naturally assumed for the last 20 years that every new account was sent the full rules :wink:

The mods obviously thought one of your latest accounts needed the rules I guess [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What's equally sad is that the leader of the opposition doesn't have the intelligence or whit to make any impression on Boris at PM Question Time. He gets walked over most of the time.

Utter rubbish.

Starmer asks the right questions, but Boris is a past master at deflection and whataboutery. Boris never considers the question and gives a straight answer back; indeed, he seems to see it as some sort of fun intellectual challenge to dodge the punch. Within seconds he loses Starmer's gaze, turns to his right and plays to the Tory gallery. It is a complete and utter waste of everybody's time. Very few people watch PMQ's, it is now a tickbox exercise.

Re the levelling up speech - I have looked at the comments on the BBC website and they are almost exclusively withering in their condemnation of Boris's empty bluster, remarkably so when you take the thumbs up/down into consideration. I get the feeling many people are seeing through him; the sleaze, the favours, the contracts, the mountain of bullshit have tainted him.

He and the Tories are just very lucky that the left vote is split between two parties who have no formal arrangement of co-operation in place. Both mistakenly think they can carry on as normal, when in actual fact they need a short-term pact to field one candidate per seat depending on which party is strongest in that particular seat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is the interesting question. Why isn't Starmer's superiority in PMQ being reflected in his polling? I think back to Major and Smith which is also one-sided and at the time of this death, Smith was way ahead of Major in polling. Similarly, Cameron got the better of Brown regularly - which was reflected in his polling and the GE result. But Starmer's not getting a similar boost - but I don't know why.

Who owns the polling companies?
The polls said the Tories were ahead in the two recent bi-elections, but the actual votes turned out differently.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the interesting question. Why isn't Starmer's superiority in PMQ being reflected in his polling? I think back to Major and Smith which is also one-sided and at the time of this death, Smith was way ahead of Major in polling. Similarly, Cameron got the better of Brown regularly - which was reflected in his polling and the GE result. But Starmer's not getting a similar boost - but I don't know why.

I have mentioned it several times - the little baldy from Yorkshire whose name momentarily escapes me, former boy star of the Tory conference, darling of Thatcher, and gym-pal of Seb Coe, as leader of the opposition used to defenestrate Mr Tony every week at PM's questions, but it cut no ice with the electorate. I think PMQs hold even less interest outside those of us who like a bit of parliamentary panto than they did even back then. The nation is no longer in thrall to the six o'clock news and news at ten. People get their 'information' from their own bubbles. Even on here several years ago there were people claiming they knew nobody among their network of associates who wanted to remain in the EU while others claimed they knew nobody who wanted to leave (which quite surprised me at the time).

Also, Starmer is quite dull, and reminds me of EL Wisty, which probably doesn't help. And Boris is funny, come on! Everyone admires a loveable rogue. Or something.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Who owns the polling companies?
The polls said the Tories were ahead in the two recent bi-elections, but the actual votes turned out differently.

Don't let yourself believe that crap you see on social media saying polls are manipulated. Polls are often wrong on a local scale, but generally correct to within 1-2% nationally.

Polling companies make their reputation - which leads to further commissioning and ££ - from accuracy, so the last thing they're going to do is intentionally produce incorrect info.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't let yourself believe that crap you see on social media saying polls are manipulated. Polls are often wrong on a local scale, but generally correct to within 1-2% nationally.

Polling companies make their reputation - which leads to further commissioning and ££ - from accuracy, so the last thing they're going to do is intentionally produce incorrect info.

Anyone on here ever been polled by a polling company in their entire life? I know I haven't

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Anyone on here ever been polled by a polling company in their entire life? I know I haven't

Nope.
And they have often been wrong in the recent past.
Surely even the thickest of the thickos must see Johnson for what he is by now.
Not many people watch PMQ's and programmes like C4 news and Newsnight (other programmes are also available)whereas you get more in depth reporting.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Do you regularly watch PMQs, or just the edited clips on the news?

Starmer wipes the floor with Johnson, week in, week out :shrug:

I watch it live every week religiously. Starmers questions are constructed like you might expect from someone in the legal profession, but Boris is Teflon and Starmer is incapable of pinning him down.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And they have often been wrong in the recent past.

Not really - the polls were out in the 2015 general election (and they modified their polling since then) but that's the only time they've been wrong in the recent past - unless you call 1992 recent; they were slightly off then too.

But as nwgull says, generally polls are accurate - they wouldn't be in business long if they weren't

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Every day I wake up baffled that millions of people could watch him for more than 20 seconds and think "Yes, that is the man I think we should have running our country. I am going to intentionally vote for him."

Tory voter here, but I do agree that Johnson is thoroughly unfit to be PM of this country.
However, remember who he was up against at the GE. Many Labour supporters, let alone the floating voters, believed Corbyn was unfit to be PM.and that old ghoul McDonnell put the fear of God up many a moderate, meanwhile Abbott was just considered a laughing stock.
Not a high class field as they might say in racing terms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here