Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth - Loan to Walsall

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The boy looks a real prospect, much like Jensen Weir, I look forward to watching Walsall next season. I'm starting to wonder if following our loan kids around the country might be a more enjoyable experience that watching our own matches.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Please oh please let him be in goal and keep a clean sheet against 10-Man Palace* on Saturday.

*their current squad size, ...ish.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
More transfer window good news. Walsall fans seem appropriately appreciative too. Hope he has a great season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
More transfer window good news. Walsall fans seem appropriately appreciative too. Hope he has a great season.

Well lets hope that they are just as appreciative once he has played a few games for them. Obviously l hope that he does well too, but this will be his first real experience of playing big boys football. This is likely to be a big season for him.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Code:
Walsall fans seem to think he’ll be a solid back-up keeper.

I don’t think he’ll be back-up for very long.

Club wouldn’t loan him out unless he was pretty much guaranteed to be first choice. He’ll be their number one keeper this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Code:

Club wouldn’t loan him out unless he was pretty much guaranteed to be first choice. He’ll be their number one keeper this season.

Like when we loaned Tom McGill to Crawley, for 18 of the last 24 months, and he didn't start a single league game?

There will be no guarantees, or promises. There might be financial incentives to start him (i.e the Albion pay his wages if he's starting, but Walsall cover them if he isn't) but it will be up to Rushworth to earn his place.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Code:

Agree. By all accounts we as a club do a lot of due diligence for every players loan move.

I expect to see him in the team at some point.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I feel like Rushworth and McGill are at different stages, but it is a good point from Hans Kray. There are no guarantees, Sanchez lost his place at both Forest Green and Rochdale at times. It did him no harm being on their bench, it's all good experience. Personally, on the very little I've seen, I think Rushworth is a fantastic young goalkeeper and this loan could be the making of him.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Well lets hope that they are just as appreciative once he has played a few games for them. Obviously l hope that he does well too, but this will be his first real experience of playing big boys football. This is likely to be a big season for him.

He was absolutely outstanding at Worthing a season or so back & this is the guy that was hilariously linked to Barcelona !!

As others have already said he will have to earn his place but so did Rob Sanchez as Forrest Green & Rochdale.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I feel like Rushworth and McGill are at different stages, but it is a good point from Hans Kray. There are no guarantees, Sanchez lost his place at both Forest Green and Rochdale at times. It did him no harm being on their bench, it's all good experience. Personally, on the very little I've seen, I think Rushworth is a fantastic young goalkeeper and this loan could be the making of him.

FWIW, McGill is a year older than Rushworth, has made a handful of senior professional appearances (Rushworth has none) and has England age group caps (Rushworth has only been on training camps, I think), so if they are indeed at 'different stages' of their development, it is actually McGill who should in theory be ahead.

That said, when they played a half each for the U23s against Worthing last week, Rushworth looked far more composed (albeit he had the advantage of playing behind a better, more experienced, defence).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
FWIW, McGill is a year older than Rushworth, has made a handful of senior professional appearances (Rushworth has none) and has England age group caps (Rushworth has only been on training camps, I think), so if they are indeed at 'different stages' of their development, it is actually McGill who should in theory be ahead.

That said, when they played a half each for the U23s against Worthing last week, Rushworth looked far more composed (albeit he had the advantage of playing behind a better, more experienced, defence).

I'm not sure if I've seen anything of McGill so far to be honest, but I've seen a little bit of Rushworth and I think he looks the real deal. I'm fairly confident he's going to get to play, McGill had a more senior and experienced goalkeeper ahead of him. I might be wrong, but I don't think it was at the start of pre-season when he went there, whereas Rushworth has a real chance to stake his claim against who I think has only played 38 matches at the age of 26 (assuming Wikipedia is correct - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Rose_(footballer)).

Have you seen much of either or both? Genuinely interested what your perspective on the two is, as a former (and current?) keeper yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here