Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 21/22 break Through Predictions

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is a tough one to call, especially when you look at where Bobby Sanchez was in October 2020 and how far he has come.

Also a cracking loan deal, basically means your break through star is ruled out for the next 12 months. Then we have all the optimism around signings, who you have to believe are more ready than some of our promising youngsters.

So who do you think might crack it this year and make that break through?

I am going to go for the tiny centre back with an angry dad.

I think Haydon Roberts as a left sided centre back will surprise a lot of people if he gets the chance.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think Connolly & Alzate are going to step forward and make their best seasons so far.

Out of those who are yet to play in the PL, I think Leo Östigård could be a candidate.

Khadra

Strong,quick and direct.Has already had experience in the German league

Will be in the team by xmas

Decent call if he remains fit.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think we're going to start to see more of Ostigard, Khadra and hopefully Karbownik although that's a bit of a double edged sword because if Karbownik is in the team it would probably mean that Lamptey isn't... which nobody wants!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The Poles, for me. Will be interested to see how they get on.

It’s going to be a balance to get the 25 right, as we have so many - Caicedo, Roberts, the Poles, Zequiri, the Computer, Khadra - all pushing to break through, but then a lot of these positions already have the likes of Alzate, Mac Alister etc sitting in their ‘substitute’ roles.

Good problem to have though. Rather that than be Palace, having to cancel friendlies because they haven’t got the numbers for a team!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the basis that Biss wasn't at training you'd expect Mwepu to be in pole position to take a holding midfield berth. If we sign Cucurella to play left-wing back then MODER will be surrounded by players with legs and bite. He could really shine.

I fancy Caicedo will be on the bench, and if it doesn't work out with Moder then the Ecuadorian has the attributes to play that playmaker midfield role.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Alzate.

I think the boy is class and has got his difficult second season out of the way now. And even during that season he still had really bright moments which people forget including a man of the match performance against United and a winning goal at Anfield.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The 'White' replacement in defence, I expect our back 3 to generally look like this:

------------Webster---------Dunk--------Roberts---------------

Burn & Veltman will fill in any gaps here or at wing-back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is a tough one to call, especially when you look at where Bobby Sanchez was in October 2020 and how far he has come.

Also a cracking loan deal, basically means your break through star is ruled out for the next 12 months. Then we have all the optimism around signings, who you have to believe are more ready than some of our promising youngsters.

So who do you think might crack it this year and make that break through?

I am going to go for the tiny centre back with an angry dad.

I think Haydon Roberts as a left sided centre back will surprise a lot of people if he gets the chance.
Good question!

We've got so many coming in or coming through, it's almost a case of who can we find room for! Mac Allister and Moder, I think. Outside bet on Richards (though a think a loan mov at a level higher than last year is more likely).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The 'White' replacement in defence, I expect our back 3 to generally look like this:

Hugo, going for Roberts over Ostigard? Big call. Interesting one though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I wonder, if White goes, will we carry on with three at the back? Last year it seemed a bit that having turned down £30M fr White we had to play him, couldn't drop Dunk, couldn't drop Webster, so went three at the back. With Dunk and Webster, could we do what Liverpool do when Van Dyke and Gomez are fit? - play four at the back which is essentially two at the back plus wing backs. Does require one or two very good DMs to pull it of, but Biss is good enough (if he stays), and maybe Mwepu and Caicedo are too. Just a thought (other thoughts are available!)

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Mac Allister for me.

Hopefully he has a great Olympics and forces his way (more consistently) into our first team.

Looked special at the beginning of the year. Love his vision, great passer of the ball, fast one touch football in the final third, clearly has a shot on him.

Others I'd love to come through are Caicedo and Karbownik.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is a brilliant thread, my cup of tea [emoji106]

- Moder. This kid looked unbelievably assured in his appearances towards the end of last season. I feel there’s a big season coming up for Jakub.

- Khadra. Exciting player. And have felt for a while he’ll be a great alternative to AJ assuming he moves on. I think he’ll get on the bench at least.

- Ostigard. With one caveat. Only if we agree to sell Ben White. If we do I’ll be delighted to see him get a chance. Did quite a bit of reading on his performances at Coventry. The fans adored him. I think he has a great character as well, so wouldn’t be afraid of stepping up. If Ben White stays, I presume he’ll be loaned to the Championship again.

Now my long shot…
- Zak Emmerson. This kid has huge potential*. Now obviously you never know when it’s their time. And he is still really young. But he’s clearly over performing at his age group and without question is a natural finisher. Hopefully he gets a debut in one of our early cup games and makes an impact. Imagine if he gets a Sanchez type breakthrough? If not, no biggie. He has time to develop.

(*no pressure though, and just between us)

el punal

Ali Jahanbakhsh for me. It’s about time he lived up to his pre-Albion billing. He has shown glimpses, no more, of his potential thus far. So I reckon this is the season Ali J proves all his doubters wrong.

Mind you, I said the same about Elvis Manu - is he still offside in some parallel universe? :eek:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I expect us to play both a back three/five and a back four although, as with last season, the former more than the latter. When we do go with a three, I expect Veltman, Dunk and Webster to be the first choices (provided White is sold, which I expect to be the case). Then we have probably Burn, Ostigard and Roberts in reserve -- unless a new signing arrives, which I wouldn't rule out.

When playing a back three, Tariq and Solly as first choice wing backs, with Cucurella and Karbownik pushing them. Veltman and Burn might also play as wing backs, but could turn out to be the first choice full backs if we're playing a four, but I'd imagine Potter will factor in form and the opposition's qualities (as well as fitness) when making selections.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hugo, going for Roberts over Ostigard? Big call. Interesting one though.

White is so good at transferring the ball from back to front, we’d miss this so much if he left.

I’m sure Ostigard is the better defender but Roberts is a baller and could survive in the EPL with Dunk & Webbo covering his back perhaps. Big call though!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Veltman and Moder

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
White is so good at transferring the ball from back to front, we’d miss this so much if he left.

I’m sure Ostigard is the better defender but Roberts is a baller and could survive in the EPL with Dunk & Webbo covering his back perhaps. Big call though!

I think what we would miss is White's pace. Ostigard versus Roberts is a really interesting one. Ostigard is great in the air and aggressive in the tackle. Roberts is composed on the ball, an organiser and left footed. I also think he is too good to spend the season playing for the U23s, having made it look easy the season before last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here