Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] And just when you thought our judicial system couldn't get any worse.......

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A judge has upheld the decision of the Parole Board and ordered the release of paedophile double killer Colin Pitchfork who raped and murdered two fifteen year old girls.

If there is a crime so abhorent that the perpetrator should stay in jail for life, then the killing of children must surely be it.

Paedophiles can't be "cured". The judge is giving him licence to go and kill again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-57737050

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A judge has upheld the decision of the Parole Board and ordered the release of paedophile double killer Colin Pitchfork who raped and murdered two fifteen year old girls.

If there is a crime so abhorent that the perpetrator should stay in jail for life, then the killing of children must surely be it.

Paedophiles can't be "cured". The judge is giving him licence to go and kill again.

Hopefully natural justice will run it's course...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A mate of mine was a forensic social worker who has interviewed many 'criminally insane' people attempting to obtain release. His strategy was to let them talk, and eventually they would reveal their hand, whether it be a new hand or an old one.

I suspect they didn't give this character enough time to talk.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He committed a horrible crime and nothing will ever change that. But he's served his sentence now. If the people who have actually spoken to him and reviewed his case have decided he should be freed, I am prepared to assume they know better than anyone else. No doubt he'll be monitored and the local constabulary will be aware of him and will pay due attention.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't really get what people are expecting the judge to do? Extend his sentence? Based on what? You can't sentence somebody to a certain amount of prison time and then at the end of that time decide that, actually, it should have been a bit more, and so chuck a few extra years in. Can you?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Serious question. Not sure if I’ve missed another big story. What’s wrong with our judicial system?

On this case. I guess we don’t know all the facts. If we don’t believe in rehabilitation, what’s the alternative. Death sentence? I’m not sure I can get behind that.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Serious question. Not sure if I’ve missed another big story. What’s wrong with our judicial system?

On this case. I guess we don’t know all the facts. If we don’t believe in rehabilitation, what’s the alternative. Death sentence? I’m not sure I can get behind that.

Death sentence no, but the family of the victims have got a life sentence, so i therefore believe he should be behind bars for the rest of his life for these heinous crimes he committed, not get out after 33 years

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

What do you expect the judge to do in these circumstances? Make up a new law to fit the circumstances?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He committed a horrible crime and nothing will ever change that. But he's served his sentence now. If the people who have actually spoken to him and reviewed his case have decided he should be freed, I am prepared to assume they know better than anyone else. No doubt he'll be monitored and the local constabulary will be aware of him and will pay due attention.

But I wouldn't assume they know better (IMO)... some people have jobs to rehabilitate, and need some 'successes' for funding to continue. Let's hope they don't get this one wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't really get what people are expecting the judge to do? Extend his sentence? Based on what? You can't sentence somebody to a certain amount of prison time and then at the end of that time decide that, actually, it should have been a bit more, and so chuck a few extra years in. Can you?

This is a good point but it depends on the nature of the original sentence, the medical reports etc. On reflection this is a bad thread in that it taps right into the viscera without providing the necessary background information.

All that said, let us imagine that this bloke had a precise sentence and was not deemed 'insane'. Then, once he sentence is done, out he comes. And yet I understand that if someone is deemed to continue to be a risk to the public the sentence can be extended. I am not sure exactly how that works, mind. It sounds, on the radio, that the decision is made by the parole board and they have deemed the man 'safe'.

It would probably be useful for someone ITK to provide the facts before this descends into a face-off between the 'done his time and should be given another chance' contingent, and the hangers and floggers. In the meantime, I will offer my fully-uninformed opinion that it is madness to let this obviously major wrong-un loose on the public. Mrs T agrees.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
When you say "he committed a horrible crime", are you aware that he raped and murdered Lynda Mann in 1983 and that he raped and murdered Dawn Ashworth in 1986? He committed more than one horrible crime, and it was probably only being sent to prison that prevented him committing more.

He's in his early sixties. Certainly young enough to rape and murder some more schoolgirls if he wants to. No doubt he's told the parole board he doesn't want to. Do we believe him?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I often wonder what happens when these people are let out. New identity etc, etc, obviously, but you can't just bung someone into a village, town,
city etc and expect them to fit in without suspicion. Or maybe you can.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Death sentence no, but the family of the victims have got a life sentence, so i therefore believe he should be behind bars for the rest of his life for these heinous crimes he committed, not get out after 33 years

at a cost of millions, for that reason I am death sentence for crimes like this, proved beyond all doubt.
Spend that money wasted on keeping him alive on people who can be rehabilitated.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

But you can get behind the possibility of him giving some innocent young girl a death sentence ? . Take him and others like him round the back put a bullet in his head and let God sort him out .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

So logically anyone who is involved in an incident where someone dies or they suffer life changing injuries the guilty person should be locked up for life with no prospect of release.

What next importing the American legal system so that judges can hand out multiple 99 year sentences or the death penalty in similar circumstances.

I suggest you give Priti Vacant a ring, and our wonderful Home Secretary will be right onto it, although she would probably suggest these punishments are not severe enough.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Firstly, the judge has to follow the law, he cannot base a judgement on his feelings; the judicial oath they all take states "..I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or ill will".
If the parole board feel that Pitchfork is safe to be released then the judge has to follow that line of thinking, he cannot resentence a case from 1988. The parole board will have done a lot more than simply asking Pitchfork "if we let you out, will you commit more crimes ?"; there will have been numerous reports going back several years by highly trained professionals.

Having said that, if someone slots him I won't shed a tear.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Firstly, the judge has to follow the law, he cannot base a judgement on his feelings; the judicial oath they all take states "..I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or ill will".
If the parole board feel that Pitchfork is safe to be released then the judge has to follow that line of thinking, he cannot resentence a case from 1988. The parole board will have done a lot more than simply asking Pitchfork "if we let you out, will you commit more crimes ?"; there will have been numerous reports going back several years by highly trained professionals.

Having said that, if someone slots him I won't shed a tear.

This. The judicial system enacts the law as the government has decided.

He will probably be on licence and almost certainly on the sex offenders list, having to report his movements regularly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’s been in an Open Prison for maybe 5 years already, so there’s every chance he’s been out in public - working for example.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I often wonder what happens when these people are let out. New identity etc, etc, obviously, but you can't just bung someone into a village, town,
city etc and expect them to fit in without suspicion. Or maybe you can.

People would be surprised (or maybe not) at those who live amongst us, the extensive registered sex offender database in this country, including family men living with wives, partners and children., sometimes relocated from the offending region, but not always.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here