Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Harry Maguire Appreciation

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Maguire gets an awful amount of stick on here but I'm gonna stick my head above the parapet and give him some praise. I was impressed with him in 2018, but from the moment he stepped back into the side he looked like a man possessed. Brave, confident, fearless. Sticking that sort of penalty away as spot-kick taker number two (as a defender!) was hugely, hugely admirable (admittedly I thought he'd skied it at first). If Kane ever gets injured before the next couple of international tournaments, Maguire is a ready made replacement as captain.

Slabhead is one of those modern day English rarities who is arguably better for his country than his club. And for that I salute you Harry. :bowdown:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
His best playing attribute is that he's not Tyrone Mings, and for that I commend him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maguire gets an awful amount of stick on here but I'm gonna stick my head above the parapet and give him some praise. I was impressed with him in 2018, but from the moment he stepped back into the side he looked like a man possessed. Brave, confident, fearless. Sticking that sort of penalty away as spot-kick taker number two (as a defender!) was hugely, hugely admirable (admittedly I thought he'd skied it at first). If Kane ever gets injured before the next couple of international tournaments, Maguire is a ready made replacement as captain.

Slabhead is one of those modern day English rarities who is arguably better for his country than his club. And for that I salute you Harry. :bowdown:

Thought he was the best centre half at the tournament. The number of times he reads it and is able to nip in front and win the ball ahead of the attacker is impressive, as is his bringing the ball out and range of passing. He’s seemingly not as good for MU, but on the international stage I think he’d walk into most sides.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Had a good Tournament. A few long balls went astray but he played well in all matches.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
In the end, thank goodness he was fit, and we avoided Mings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will not say w-anchor every time I see his face or hear his name mentioned from now until we play them next.

Never let it be said I'm not a fair and just man.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Top class defender . Some of the crap on here was way off .

Yes, slabbers was decent. The opprobrium was due to the fact that at club level he doesn't seem much better than Dunk (and you can guess the rest). However had he done what I feared - make one mistake that cost us a goal - this thread wouldn't exist.

England have a history of selecting stand out nonentities and we have an almost 'race memory' of the sideways passing and general uselessness of the likes of Tony Dorigo, Mark Wright, Rob Jones, Andy Sinton, Stuart Ripley, Carlton Palmer and Steve Hodge, so it can sometimes be hard to get one's head around the idea that by and large the manager is selecting well from a very decent pool of English talent, now.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Brilliant player, Brilliant penalty.

Silly transfer fee and playing for Man U, plus a wobble last Autumn have lead to people wrongly labelling him as rubbish. He's brilliant.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I was buzzing for Slab Head when he banged that penalty in. Great strike.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I also thought Shaw & Walker had a good tournament

I thought Walker was the most error prone of our players from the start, lucky to get away with a couple, and a bit surprised he kept his place. His best performance was in the final though.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
I also thought Shaw & Walker had a good tournament

I thought Walker was pretty average but quick before this competition, and even that some of the others like Trippier or James might get in ahead of him. He was outstanding this tournamount. (even if he was lucky for getting away with trying to nut Ali J in the SF!)

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
His best playing attribute is that he's not Tyrone Mings, and for that I commend him.

Say what you like about Mings, but this tweet is an absolute belter in my book…

45DCE182-6E98-485A-BD54-785295CC4401.jpeg

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here