Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we broke?

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Seems to be a bit of a fire sale going on this summer, with the club desperate to get players off the books....

We took a £37m loan out recently and the Amex expansion has been postponed. Bloom’s key businesses was said to be commercial property and sports gambling both of which have been hit very hard by COVID

Everyone knows we lost a whopping £67m last season, are we in a bit of trouble?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We have a huge squad. Especially if the likes of Ostigard, Khedra etc are going to be involved this season.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Nope just trying to balance the books by selling players we don't need and those who want to move on to further their careers. No drama.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn't aware we had a joint account.

I'm not broke - surprisingly.
The club aren't broke - unsurprisingly.

So that just leaves you, are you broke?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Seems to be a bit of a fire sale going on this summer, with the club desperate to get players off the books....

We took a £37m loan out recently and the Amex expansion has been postponed. Bloom’s key businesses was said to be commercial property and sports gambling both of which have been hit very hard by COVID

Let's just hope that all the other clubs are thinking like you. We may get quoted a decent price for players we're after - and derisory offers for ours that Bloom will have no problems in rejecting.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Why would we want to pay wages for players that aren't playing? The Amex has been expanded (sort of) there's at least a thousand extra seats. Every business has been hit by Covid, why would that make us 'broke'?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No, we have a bloated squad with a lot of high earners who barely play.

This is just standard prudent business and football practice. An audit has been taken out and decisions have been made.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
In reality, if the club had real financial concerns we'd just flog our best assets for a combined £200m or so and promote a number of the u23s into the first team to cover it for a season and hope they're able to compete alongside the experienced core of the squad. In summary, I don't think we've got anything to worry about financially.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Who have we sold that was a first team regular last season?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Too big a squad is not something any club wants. Players who are not playing can be bad for morale - their own and others' - unless they are extremely patient and professional, as Uwe Hunemeier was. They block pathways for younger players. They set a bad example - potential signings might look at Tau, Ally Mac, Alzate and think "Is that what will happen to me if I sign there?" They give managers selection headaches, despite cliched protestations that 'It's a nice problem to have.' And of course they cost money in wages, squad bonuses etc. Look at the back of the Man City programme - they listed six players fewer than we did.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wouldn't call what we're doing a "fire sale", we're getting rid of big-earning players who almost certainly don't have much of a future with us. If we were in big trouble we wouldn't be haggling over Ben White.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Do you have any actual evidence for any of this ? Just seems a curious take on events.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

We lost £67 m on the balance sheet for tax purposes. Suggest you and many others need to understand how profit and loss accounts work. Yes we took a loan so Tony didn’t have use his own money as the loan was free in interest, so why wouldn’t you?

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
We've bought Mwepu, had agreed terms for Gonzalez and are seemingly chasing this young ex-Barcelona lad. Unless Tony popped down to the cash machine this morning and found out he's overdrawn, I reckon this is little more than a standard trimming of the squad, shipping out the dead wood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here