Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away match recommendations, please.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks to a kind NSC member my kids and I went to the Wembley semi and the atmosphere on the trains & tubes was amazing. Yesterday, youngest Cotton Sock & I were sightseeing in London (I booked it without realising it was the final & way before England were near it!). Again the atmosphere was amazing, we took a few diversions on the tubes & places that we walked, just to soak it up before we got on a train back to Brighton to watch the match at home. We didn't come across any trouble just lots of people (including us) singing in different places around central London. Victoria Station and London Bridge were the best ones.

I basically want to take youngest Cotton Sock to an away match. He's 14 so I don't want to be taking him to the Stade de Clad, I don't want to travel miles away to Burnley or Manchester etc. Where would you recommend for the atmosphere? The cheaper the better and the final point, a place where I have chances of getting an away ticket with only purchase history (although I know a couple of 1901 members and lots of ST holders that would help, if they can?). Based on the above criteria I would appreciate suggestions. :)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Took my boy to Arsenal the season before last - he loved it - No atmosphere from the home fans, but that's going to be the case in the vast majority of away games.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The atmosphere isn't going to compare but you may be able to get tickets for Southampton, West Ham or Watford away. Or Dirty Leeds away with both teams pushing for the Champions League places?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Took my boy to Arsenal the season before last - he loved it - No atmosphere from the home fans, but that's going to be the case in the vast majority of away games.

The atmosphere isn't going to compare but you may be able to get tickets for Southampton, West Ham or Watford away. Or Dirty Leeds away with both teams pushing for the Champions League places?

It's the atmosphere from us that I'm looking for. Watford and West Ham seem good. Not much of a chance of getting tickets for Arsenal. I'm not travelling to Leeds! :lolol:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's the atmosphere from us that I'm looking for. Watford and West Ham seem good. Not much of a chance of getting tickets for Arsenal. I'm not travelling to Leeds! :lolol:

I don't have too much in the way of loyalty points - but have managed to get to Palace/Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea/Fulham/West Ham over the past 3 seasons.
A lot depends on the timing of the fixture - worth keeping your eye out on the ticket site.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
For better atmospheres then head to games outside of the top 6 who seem to have too many tourist fans and also see us as inconsequential.

For an extra hour or two of travel time from the south, Villa or Wolves which are good for atmosphere.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brentford at Griffin Park was always a good day or night out, although I’ve never seen us win there. As they are PL newbies and have a new ground I’d flag this up as a potentially great away day

Best chance of getting a reasonably local ticket has to be WHU or the library that is Arsenal

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Brentford at Griffin Park was always a good day or night out, although I’ve never seen us win there. As they are PL newbies and have a new ground I’d flag this up as a potentially great away day

Best chance of getting a reasonably local ticket has to be the giant Withdean that is WHU or the library that is Arsenal

The OP will definitely be calling in some big favours if he wants to get to Brentford this season!

SAC

May 21, 2014

A lot of people don't want to go to the same away games each season which means Arse tickets aren't that difficult to obtain. You wont get tickets for Brentford, it's a small ground that no one will have been to.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thanks to a kind NSC member my kids and I went to the Wembley semi and the atmosphere on the trains & tubes was amazing. Yesterday, youngest Cotton Sock & I were sightseeing in London (I booked it without realising it was the final & way before England were near it!). Again the atmosphere was amazing, we took a few diversions on the tubes & places that we walked, just to soak it up before we got on a train back to Brighton to watch the match at home. We didn't come across any trouble just lots of people (including us) singing in different places around central London. Victoria Station and London Bridge were the best ones.

I basically want to take youngest Cotton Sock to an away match. He's 14 so I don't want to be taking him to the Stade de Clad, I don't want to travel miles away to Burnley or Manchester etc. Where would you recommend for the atmosphere? The cheaper the better and the final point, a place where I have chances of getting an away ticket with only purchase history (although I know a couple of 1901 members and lots of ST holders that would help, if they can?). Based on the above criteria I would appreciate suggestions. :)

If away fans are allowed I would expect ID checks to be more prevalent this season so getting a ticket from somebody else far harder, besides do you want to put your ST friends at risk of losing their ST. You will need to be looking at travelling as getting tickets for local games will be hard as we have not had an away game since March 2020. I'd suggest some where easy to get a train to - Villa, Wolves or Leicester (bit of a walk) would be the games to target or maybe Norwich.

A lot will of course depend on what the club is going to do with loyalty points.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don’t think it’ll be too difficult getting tickets for most away games this season……bound to be plenty not wanting to travel, and the bigger allocations often go down the tiers.

We started awaydays when junior was a similar age, not really had any bad experiences (off the pitch - have seen some shite on the pitch obviously��). As others have said, better atmospheres often tend to be outside the top 6 really - places like Villa and Wolves (pretty simple trips too). Brentford demand will probably be high as a new ground, Watford is very family-friendly and another easy trip but I’d also put Leeds and Newcastle near the top of the list if you can make the journey. Spurs is worth a visit just to see the ground….it’s fantastic (pain in the arse to get to though).

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
In terms of availability it’s hard to predict. Away games had become a lot easier to get tickets for than most realised. Post lockdown there could be lots of people desperate to start going to away games again, but equally there might be people not comfortable with travelling around the country yet.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I really don't like the big London clubs. Absolutely no atmosphere and you just feel like it's a tourist sideshow.
Wolves is fun and Villa Park is an amazing old ground. Definitely recommend travelling a little further though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Best chance of getting a reasonably local ticket has to be WHU or the library that is Arsenal

Hmmm might not be easy getting tickets for the Brentford game, being new to the Premier League, and a new stadium as well, bound to be popular.

Wet Sham and the Arse though, yes good shout.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
West Ham at the Olympic Stadium if you've not been there, but the BHA fans are split up. Leicester know how to put on a show. Man Utd to be able to say 'I've been there', and tickets should be available as we've all now been there. Liverpool put on a great pre match party outside the ground and to hear YNWA is a box ticked. Spurs just for the ground. At Chelsea the Albion are in an enclosed space close to the pitch, lot of noise. Everton to sit looking at a post all game.
For me Huddersfield was the noisiest ground I've been too but expect the fans have moved on now.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks everyone. :)
Having looked at the price of train tickets to places oop North, I'm going to try and stay in the London travelcard zone! I'll start with Brentford and the next one is West Ham & work my way through the London list. I wouldn't borrow anyone's ST, I just assumed they could buy guest tickets?
If I get any tickets I'll post again asking which pubs are ok for away fans. Thanks again. :)

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
West Ham at the Olympic Stadium if you've not been there, but the BHA fans are split up. Leicester know how to put on a show. Man Utd to be able to say 'I've been there', and tickets should be available as we've all now been there. Liverpool put on a great pre match party outside the ground and to hear YNWA is a box ticked. Spurs just for the ground. At Chelsea the Albion are in an enclosed space close to the pitch, lot of noise. Everton to sit looking at a post all game.
For me Huddersfield was the noisiest ground I've been too but expect the fans have moved on now.

What do you mean by split up? I went to the Olympic stadium for a music event & the place is huge do they shove everyone in different tiers or something?
Chelsea sounds like the atmosphere we're looking for.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Having looked at the price of train tickets to places oop North, I'm going to try and stay in the London travelcard zone! I'll start with Brentford and the next one is West Ham & work my way through the London list. I wouldn't borrow anyone's ST, I just assumed they could buy guest tickets?
If I get any tickets I'll post again asking which pubs are ok for away fans. Thanks again. :)

Train tickets can be found cheaper, you have to look to split journeys just look at the whole trip for timings and then split it up, home to London then London to away town. Get a 2 together card, free with Tesco points will save a third on the price.

There is no guest tickets for away matches

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Split tickets are your friend - just have to make sure you don't miss your train.

Makes more of a difference on some routes than others, but it's always worth checking:

https://splitticketing.co.uk/

In normal circumstances I've always found it easy to get tickets for anything north of Watford, but as others have said I don't know how things might play out this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here