Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If not Southgate, then who?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
First up, I'm a Southgate IN.

If he was Albion manager, I'd be Southgate OUT. Like I was with Hughton in the end. I couldn't take another season of that brand of football.

But for me, International football is different. It's all about first qualifying for tournaments, then managing them when you get there. On balance, I think Southgate has done that really well. Whilst I might dream to see an England side completely transformed, like the Italians clearly have been under Mancini, I'm quite prepared to just do whatever it takes to keep progressing.

Many people clearly aren't happy with our style of play though. I get that.

So, if you want change now, who, realistically would you want in charge instead?

Oh, and English suggestions only please. I'm a great believer that an intentional manager should have to qualify to represent their country in the same way players do.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Honestly the only credible alternative I can think of right now who’s English is Mr. Potter… which I think would be a huge loss for the Albion.

However I am fully in favour of Southgate staying to lead us to the World Cup. He’s our most successful manager in our lifetimes, semi finalist of the WC and finalist of the Euros. And I don’t really understand how any England fan can’t appreciate that. “Southgates not attacking enough”. Which England manager has been, ever? When was the last time we’ve done so well?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We have just reached our first tournament final for 55 years, being only narrowly beaten on penalties, and people still aren't happy? :ffsparr:

To clarify. I'm happy. I want Southgate to stay. Under him we are clearly, unarguably, progressing.

But clearly lots of people aren't happy with our style of play. I can understand that part at least. So my question is to those people. Who do they want in charge instead? Because to date, I've heard of no other suggestions outside of Potter.

Or maybe, they would like Southgate to stay, but just change his cautious approach?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
He doesn't turn me on, but no one else at the moment, and tbf he has done well this tournament, building a great team spirit.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I don't follow international football much these days, so, are there people genuinely wanting Gareth "WC Semi, Euros Final" Southgate out??
I got thoroughly sick of the whole England manager side show when people were moaning about Erikkson because he only got us to quarter finals, but this is a whole new level of bullshit if true?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We were a few penalty kicks from winning the whole damn thing.

Is your minimum expectation for England manager to win the tournament?

It seems that way, we have experienced 55 years of dross, then a manager comes along, transforms the whole way of playing, gets the team to the brink of European glory . . . and still people complain.

Sorry but l think it's ridiculous.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It seems that way, we have experienced 55 years of dross, then a manager comes along, transforms the whole way of playing, gets the team to the brink of European glory . . . and still people complain.

Sorry but l think it's ridiculous.

I completely agree.

There’s been an undercurrent of Southgate critics all tournament, and they’re all coming out after last night. I think it’s a disgrace and unbelievably ungrateful.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First up, I'm a Southgate IN.

If he was Albion manager, I'd be Southgate OUT. Like I was with Hughton in the end. I couldn't take another season of that brand of football.

This sort of thing does make me giggle. STHs and those of us with the Albion running through every pore really don't have a choice. Chances are that many have gurned their way through Barry Lloyd, Jimmy Case, two lots of Mickey Adams and the absolute carcrashtastic GENIUS of getting Sami to try and get third rate loanees to play like Holland with wingbacks for five months.

But, yeah, I couldn't take another minute of this pragmatic winning games stuff.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This sort of thing does make me giggle. STHs and those of us with the Albion running through every pore really don't have a choice. Chances are that many have gurned their way through Barry Lloyd, Jimmy Case, two lots of Mickey Adams and the absolute carcrashtastic GENIUS of getting Sami to try and get third rate loanees to play like Holland with wingbacks for five months.

But, yeah, I couldn't take another minute of this pragmatic winning games stuff.

And thats just the best bits ;-)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How about Southgate with a assistant that is a bit more attacking?

I'll tell you what, how about leaving things exactly as they are, and giving us a great chance of success in next year's World Cup? or is that too outrageous an idea?

Southgtae should be praised, not vilified for what he has done. If it aint broke then don't try and fix it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here