Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Get England to penalties and they’re ****ed

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The tactic worked yet again and will work for generations and generations to come.

Fed up with knock out football. My 7th England penalty heartbreak although I wasn’t sobbing in the stands in another country and then trying to get a flight the **** out of there.

I’m done.

Going to concentrate on the Albion from now on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't know if it was just me but when the ref blew at the end of extra-time I heard an audible collective groan from the England supporters as though they knew what was coming.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The tactic worked yet again and will work for generations and generations to come.

Fed up with knock out football. My 7th England penalty heartbreak although I wasn’t sobbing in the stands in another country and then trying to get a flight the **** out of there.

I’m done.

Going to concentrate on the Albion from now on.

Yeah, I normally say something like that but, once again, it hurts like hell tonight. It’s football. We don’t really choose who we follow. We get our teams passed to us. If we’re doing it right, if we really care, then we can’t just opt out.

I despair at the repeated penalty defeats and tonight hurts even more because there was an actual shiny pot just waiting to be collected. The return of the season is badly needed now to ease the pain but it will all start again next year in Qatar.

Bugger!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It hurts tonight. Such a cruel way to go out.

Although truthfully Italy were the better team on the night and deserved to win.

But we still made it to a final. And we got to a semi final in the World Cup, so we have most definitely raised and improved our trajectory since Southgate has taken over as manager.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think it's fair to say my chances of becoming a professional footballer are slim so I'm unlikely to ever take a penalty for England.

But having said that, I'm not convinced by these stuttering penalty run-ups and trying to play mind games with the keeper. The 3 Engaln pens that were saved / missed tonight just never looked convincing. Kane just stuck his laces straight through it and Maguire's completely ****ed the camera in the top corner of the net. That, to me, seems to be the way to take a penalty.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Bollocks. We beat Switzerland and Colombia in both our last two shootouts. It's simply a lottery. Yes, there's tactics at play, but at the end of the day it comes down to luck. It's wasn't our day

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bollocks. We beat Switzerland and Colombia in both our last two shootouts. It's simply a lottery. Yes, there's tactics at play, but at the end of the day it comes down to luck. It's wasn't our day

Its more psychology than luck/skill/tactic. But sure, its not the perfect solution how to decide football games.

The introduction of shootouts in the 70s was not really intended to be a permanent solution, FIFA & FAs/teams/players just found the old system of actual lottery something that just desperately had to go ASAP and FIFA just bought the first best option.

The Golden Goal stuff was introduced to make penalties more uncommon, but also felt a bit shit. It remains a problem that should be solved.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
We can't get every monkey of our back in one tournament.

1) We Knocked Germany out of a tournament. ((They normally beat us on pens) in the semis) - Tick

2)We got to the final. (see comment above in double brackets) - Tick

We always struggle with a penalty shoot out, which is the remaining monkey. Hopefully get that of our backs in the world cup.

I don't think I have ever felt proud and gutted at the same time.

Football f8cks with our emotions, but we still keep coming back for more.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We won our two previous shoot outs. Hopefully this won't be the start of the shoot out hoodoo for another generation though.

Also, Pickford must be exasperated. how much more was he supposed to do to win the shoot out?!

I think it's fair to say my chances of becoming a professional footballer are slim so I'm unlikely to ever take a penalty for England.

But having said that, I'm not convinced by these stuttering penalty run-ups and trying to play mind games with the keeper. The 3 Engaln pens that were saved / missed tonight just never looked convincing. Kane just stuck his laces straight through it and Maguire's completely ****ed the camera in the top corner of the net. That, to me, seems to be the way to take a penalty.

Yep, agree with this. For me Rashford's was the 1 which did us. The jockeying about and stutter to send keeper wrong way only to hit post. Score that and really puts the pressure on Italy instead it just handed them the initiative back!!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I just thought the choice of the last three takers was bizarre. Rashford may be considered a good penalty taker at club level but he hardly kicked a ball in the tournament. As for the other two, Sancho never looked like scoring and I thought the same about Saka who had a woeful game since getting subbed on. Get the players with more experience on them, would have backed Walker, Shaw etc over those lads.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We won our two previous shoot outs. Hopefully this won't be the start of the shoot out hoodoo for another generation though.

Also, Pickford must be exasperated. how much more was he supposed to do to win the shoot out?!

He was great - but Donna saved 3 and almost even four (Kane’s was almost)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Lets be honest.

The only bit of homework Southgate needed to do was......not to let it get to pens, Gianluigi Donnarumma is a monster and his penalty shootout stats prove it, 68% save success rate from the spot and they had won the last 4 with him.
Why oh why, did Southgate not roll the dice with more attacking subs in the last 15 mins of extra time?
It's not hindsight, it realsight. He lost the bottle he should have known better.
Saka last? Rashford started the rot, with the only pen off target and seems to have gone unnoticed, although Southgate bottle ultimately gave us little chance of winning by not being brave enough with subs.
Surely he will quit.

Last edited by a moderator:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Lets be honest.

The only bit of homework Southgate needed to do was......not to let it get to pens, Gianluigi Donnarumma is a monster and his penalty shootout stats prove it, 68% save success rate from the spot and they had won the last 4 with him.
Why oh why, did Southgate not roll the dice with more attacking subs in the last 15 mins of extra time?
It's not hindsight, it realsight. He lost the bottle he should have known better.
Saka last? Rashford started the rot, with the only pen off target and seems to have gone unnoticed, although Southgate bottle ultimately gave us little chance of winning by not being brave enough with subs.
Surely he will quit.

You really think Southgate would quit, after taking an England team to a final for the first time in 50 odd years?

D

Deleted member 2719

You really think Southgate would quit, after taking an England team to a final for the first time in 50 odd years?

Yes, his face on the interview said, I have had enough and I have mentally screwed over 3 lads.

He had everything align for him this year, opposition and venue and the team at his disposal, he knows to go one better will be really really tough.

The only thing stopping him might be a short turn around to the world cup.

I expect him to go.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes, his face on the interview said, I have had enough and I have mentally screwed over 3 lads.

He had everything align for him this year, opposition and venue and the team at his disposal, he knows to go one better will be really really tough.

The only thing stopping him might be a short turn around to the world cup.

I expect him to go.

That was my initial thought last night that he might quit in the heat of the moment.

I think next day on reflection he’ll realise what an achievement this tournament has been. To get to the final for England is a great achievement. And semis in the last WC. This team and manager has raised the bar for this generation of England fans. I hope Southgate will stay for the WC at least. It’s only a year away.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Brilliant managent get two players hardly warned up to take one and a teenager :clap2:

Exactly this. Southgate said the penalty takers were based on success in training. How stupid that he doesn't understand the difference between training and a full Wembley, incredibly naïve. And very sad that more experienced players such as Shaw, Sterling...did not stand up before Saka, poor lad. Very disappointing. Congratulations to Italy, you're a tough bunch.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Exactly this. Southgate said the penalty takers were based on success in training. How stupid that he doesn't understand the difference between training and a full Wembley, incredibly naïve. And very sad that more experienced players such as Shaw, Sterling...did not stand up before Saka, poor lad. Very disappointing. Congratulations to Italy, you're a tough bunch.

I think there is a temptation to over analysis the penalties.

It’s a quite simple formula, if we come up against a top side, we will lose, every single time, 100%. We will never ever beat the likes of Italy, Germany, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil etc in a shootout, we don’t and never will have the mentality. That is why those team’s trophy cabinets are full and ours has one solitary dusty trophy in it, never to be joined by a companion.

I will never follow England again in my life now. After 7 heartbreaks, the message has finally got through to me. You can’t win a major trophy without beating a top side in a shootout.

This generation are now ruined and will only get worse at penalties now (if that’s possible). Sure they might get deep into some competitions but the opposition will know that they just need to get them to penalties and that will be that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here