Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hurt

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't know about anyone else, but having witnessed semi final loses in '90, '96 & '18, losing a final doesn't hurt anywhere near as much.

Proud of the boys tonight, lost to the better team (imho) and were a couple of kicks away from becoming European Champions.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have to agree, but maybe the mellowing that comes with age has something to do with it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Don't know about anyone else, but having witnessed semi final loses in '90, '96 & '18, losing a final doesn't hurt anywhere near as much.

Proud of the boys tonight, lost to the better team (imho) and were a couple of kicks away from becoming European Champions.

I’m with you, agree about the better team and manager winning and was totally calm and philosophical about it.

Unlike my 7 year old who was inconsolable at the end which did take me right back to Italia 90!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Disappointed more than hurt, but that comes with age and 'life's rich tapestry' of setbacks and things not quite turning out as hoped.

But yes, I feel for the kids who have had their first experience of defeat.

With inescapable wall-to-wall media coverage and build-up hype, it'll be important to remind them that it is, after all, just a game.

No-one's died. We've just lost a game of football.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Disappointed more than anything the pain was Italia '90 and Euro '96.

The bigger picture means more to me, we have reached a WC semi-final and a Euro Final in two consecutive tournaments, it will happen.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm pissed off at the lack of backbone, the result may have been different if they had actually bothered to fight for it, but I don't really care that much.
Club over country every time. If it was Brighton playing a big game then I'd be way more emotionally attached and would be feeling it way more, but it's England, I've always expected the worst and they've always delivered exactly that. Fair play for getting to the final, but meh. Season starts soon.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My brain says reaching a final is progress compared with losing a semi 3 years ago, but my heart says we haven't broken the cycle and I am not feeling the progress.

Indeed, who is to say in 25 years time it won't be Saka the manager consoling the latest in a line of penalty bottlers? 80 years of hurt.

I find some solace in the knowledge that England can produce some brave sportsmen who can and have delivered World Cups at vital times, most notably Jonny Wilkinson, Ben Stokes and Joss Buttler.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

As galling as it feels, I know what you mean. Reaching the final almost seemed/seems like winning the prize as it just never happens to us! A corner has been turned in the history of England.

The only thing that will be perpetually painful is remembering just how dominant we were in the first half, and how we couldn’t see it home in normal time.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Thought I was relatively sanguinary about it at full time. No complaints. The better team won. Game played in the right spirit. Generally very good refereeing. Etc.

It didn’t last. I feel miserable as sin now. So sad. So close. I could cry if I just left myself go a little but…

Bugger! Again.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
After being double-jabbed by penalty semi final defeats at Italia 90 and Euro 96 I'm now fairly immune to these disappointments.

Standard England.

Add another 18 months of hurt on until the next attempt.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agreed…….Italy deserved it, no complaints. Decent tournament for us but also exposed our limitations……

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No Hurt, very predictable and entirely as expected.

7/1 on Italy pre tournament was a good bet.

England did well really, after '86, '90, '96 etc etc We didn't really expect any more did we ?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
bugger.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here