Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thank you England

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
You gave it your best attempt, first major final since '66 and we lost in a penalty shoot out.

Thank you for the hope and joy you brought during the tournament.

The future is bright.

And finally, well done Italy. European championships of Europe.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well said…when the disappointment subsides it’ll be reflected upon as a decent tournament and good progress. Not long till Burnley away

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yeah agree. Some strange decisions in the shootout and dreamed we would win when Maguire's went in but we were second best in the 120.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Do you know what, I was hurt, I was gutted, I called all those who missed a penalty C***s but after a little bit of reflection I'm proud of what those lads achieved and what they gave us over the last 4 weeks. Bring on the World Cup next year. C'mon England.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
We should be proud of our players. The nonsense on the match thread suggesting GS should go after a semi final and then final is insane. We have lots to build on.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I watched it fairly relaxed. Got my Hopes up of course but, as is often with the Albion, they didn't last.
Very much enjoyed the tournament and being in a final at last.
Let's hope we can be competitive next year. Also, as much as I love it and the memories of '96, let's give up the Football's Coming Home thing now eh?
Other countries don't understand it and it just fires them up now.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We had the momentum in the first half, then lost it. We had winners written all over us, then it faded.

Some poor decisions made, but we came second in Europe.

Decent enough.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
To my mind, Southgate ruined everything by his dreadful handling of the shoot out. I have always thought they were a completely unsatisfactory way of settling major competitions, but to allow two young lads to shoulder all the responsibility when "heroes" like Sterling, Grealish, Shaw and Stones hid away was unforgivable.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely fantastic tournament. Brilliant side with a plan that so nearly got us a trophy.

We live in a strange world where people think the England manager is shit when he just got us further than we've ever gone before with a whole heap of players who play not for the best sides in the country but West Ham, Leeds, Villa and Everton.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yep. Great effort but ultimately the best team, and manager, won. Really proud of the whole squad and management, they are great role models for the country.

The players should all hold their heads high and move on confidently to the world cup.

Personally though, as much as I like Southgate the man, I still don’t rate him as a manager and would ideally like him to move on as I don’t think he is quite good enough as he proved again tonight. Really don’t know who would come in though as there is no way Potter would want semi retirement yet.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Absolutely fantastic tournament. Brilliant side with a plan that so nearly got us a trophy.

We live in a strange world where people think the England manager is shit when he just got us further than we've ever gone before with a whole heap of players who play not for the best sides in the country but West Ham, Leeds, Villa and Everton.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not sure what point you’re making about the teams the players play for? Italy had players who play for Roma, Lazio, Napoli and Sassuolo in their side, the equivalent of the English sides you mention.

Mancini is just a far superior manager to Southgate.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To my mind, Southgate ruined everything by his dreadful handling of the shoot out. I have always thought they were a completely unsatisfactory way of settling major competitions, but to allow two young lads to shoulder all the responsibility when "heroes" like Sterling, Grealish, Shaw and Stones hid away was unforgivable.

Don't think you can level that at Southgate. It's down to the players themselves whether they are confident enough or not to take one.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I think most of us would have happily taken a Final appearance at the start of the Euros.

Yes, a missed opportunity, but lots to build on for the future and specifically a World Cup in 16 months time.

Now it's the case of supporting those young players who didn't score from the spot, especially in light of racial abuse on social media.

Anyone who's prepared to stand up and take a penalty in those circumstances should be applauded, regardless of the outcome.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yup. Huge respect for those that stepped up to shoulder the responsibility when it counted. I'd never criticise anybody for being bold enough to step forward. Southgate said afterwards that the penalty takers were based on what had happened in training but like you I'm slightly disappointed that some of the more established PL players evidently didn't fancy it. It isn't about missing, it's about handling the aftermarth if you do and that's a lot of weight to load on young shoulders.

I hope the 3 who missed hold their heads high because at least they had the balls and the courage to step up when it mattered and they are the kind of people I'd want on my side, regardless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here