Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jerez

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
I was in Haus on the Hill earlier today and saw this sticker, also seen on lamp posts in Hanover. What’s the Brighton connection with an obscure andulusian team? Especially with the ‘guiri’ bit… derogatory to us brits, no? I am guessing someone on here knows as there’s always an NSK sticker nearby too.

Attachments

• C9BE8761-73A9-449E-92FC-69DE32567999.jpeg
    C9BE8761-73A9-449E-92FC-69DE32567999.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 269

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
I was in Haus on the Hill earlier today and saw this sticker, also seen on lamp posts in Hanover. What’s the Brighton connection with an obscure andulusian team? Especially with the ‘guiri’ bit… derogatory to us brits, no? I am guessing someone on here knows as there’s always an NSK sticker nearby too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Hanover in Brighton, or Hanover in Germany? . . . sorry just asking.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

You seem to have started two threads on the same subject.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Obscure ?

This country has had very strong links with that city since the 14th century.

Clue is the name.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Two aspects to your enquiry - firstly 'guiri', it's the rather derogatory name given to us foreigners living in Spain. However we are not so thin skinned to take offence and turn the phrase to our advantage. Many football teams have there own 'guiri army' - supporters of the team who are not of Spanish descent. The Malaga army even have their own sign written coach.

The second aspect is actually more interesting, but maybe boring - so I'll bore you on this Sunday morning! If I go back to the mid 1960's I was working for Hove Camera Company, Church Rd., Hove. We had many varied and interesting customers and one of them who could be classed as eccentric (by today's standards) was a certain Sir Milner Holland QC. He lived in a spacious flat round the corner in Grand Ave. and you could bet he would be in the shop on Saturday mornings always with his wicker shopping basket on his arm.
So what is the Brighton & Hove connection? Well simply in 1960/1 he represented the French champagne collective in the High Court against the then named Spanish Champagne producers. He won the case and the Spanish producers had to then not use the word 'champagne' on their product - hence Cava. Now the Jerez/Brighton & Hove connection...he later went on (1967) to represent Jerez wine producers in their protection of the word 'sherry'. You see at that time lots of cheap 'sherry' was being produced in Cyprus under the name of Mosaic and Sir Milner successfully argued that true sherry could only be produced in one particular region of Spain - Jerez. He won the case as was feted as a hero by the sherry producing area and became a local hero. Gonzalaz Byass one of the larger producers still retain a cask signed by him when he was invited to Jerez for a short holiday.

So maybe a tenuous connection but it certainly bought back memories for me on this Sunday morning.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brighton had pre-season training in Jerez in July 2012, playing Pompey & then Cordoba, in Marbella.

Dec 29, 2011
Two aspects to your enquiry - firstly 'guiri', it's the rather derogatory name given to us foreigners living in Spain. However we are not so thin skinned to take offence and turn the phrase to our advantage. Many football teams have there own 'guiri army' - supporters of the team who are not of Spanish descent. The Malaga army even have their own sign written coach.

The second aspect is actually more interesting, but maybe boring - so I'll bore you on this Sunday morning! If I go back to the mid 1960's I was working for Hove Camera Company, Church Rd., Hove. We had many varied and interesting customers and one of them who could be classed as eccentric (by today's standards) was a certain Sir Milner Holland QC. He lived in a spacious flat round the corner in Grand Ave. and you could bet he would be in the shop on Saturday mornings always with his wicker shopping basket on his arm.
So what is the Brighton & Hove connection? Well simply in 1960/1 he represented the French champagne collective in the High Court against the then named Spanish Champagne producers. He won the case and the Spanish producers had to then not use the word 'champagne' on their product - hence Cava. Now the Jerez/Brighton & Hove connection...he later went on (1967) to represent Jerez wine producers in their protection of the word 'sherry'. You see at that time lots of cheap 'sherry' was being produced in Cyprus under the name of Mosaic and Sir Milner successfully argued that true sherry could only be produced in one particular region of Spain - Jerez. He won the case as was feted as a hero by the sherry producing area and became a local hero. Gonzalaz Byass one of the larger producers still retain a cask signed by him when he was invited to Jerez for a short holiday.

So maybe a tenuous connection but it certainly bought back memories for me on this Sunday morning.

Great story thanks for sharing

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Don’t know if this has any connection to this but Sandeman Sherry has offices in Jerez and although the original Sandeman founder was Scottish the family moved south and up until recently some of the family lived in Bolney, well just outside in a huge place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here