Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that you remember clearly annoying one of both of your parents

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So many but the one that stands out is the look on my father’s face when I played Happiness Is A Warm Gun by The Beatles

“What is this rubbish, turn it off”

As a father myself I remember having pretty well the same reaction when my son played Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now by the Smiths

I have grown to really like their stuff though :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Jerusalem - Emerson Lake and Palmer, didn't go down well as seen as a hymn and shouldn't be modernised.
Never Mind The Bollocks....Language particularly if playing with bedroom windows opened, in case the neighbours heard the record.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember playing New Boots and Panties with my Mother in my car and forgetting what track followed Blockheads :blush:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Scatman John - I’m a scatman
I can’t be sure this did annoy them, but I imagine now that 10yr old me running around the house shouting ‘I’m a scatman’ would have at least raised an eyebrow or two :lol:

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Anything by the Rolling Stones, my mum hated Jagger.Ugly, skinny,dirty needs a good bath and haircut. Top of the Pops had to be turned off if he came on.I

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bohemian Rhapsody. My dad, being a stereotypical blunt yorkshireman, referred to Freddie Mercury using words I wouldn't post here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Funnily enough, my parents, who were old fashioned, seemed quite neutral about music I liked. My dad watched TOGWT with me without comment about the music. We both thought TOPT was mostly wankery. He did mock the appearance of men 'who look just like women' (long haired types and, later, glam rock types, who he felt looked comically ludicrous) but not so much the music. He sat through all four sides of Irish Tour 74 when I bought and his verdict was 'that's not bad'.

My mum never commented.

That said I wouln't have dreamt of playing my music loud at home, because that would have been just rude. I couldn't believe it when I went round a mate's house in 1976 and he played Stargazer at ear bleeding volume in his living room :eek:

Moving on, I didn't like a lot of the stuff my son listed to. I tried to bring him up properly, with all the post punk lovelies like the Chameleons, Killing Joke, The Sound, Banshees, Comsat Angels, which he still likes, but his own selection veered towards Weezer, Ash, Muse (those hateful Radiohead rip offers) and latterly (he's 35 now) the sort of musicianly music that sends me to sleep, singer songwritery shit, music that leaves me unmoved and somewhat saddened. I played him some Datblygu the other day ('Santa Barbara' :love:) and had to take if off as he found it a bit weird. OK, they sing in Welsh but, come on, you can't understand a word of what's been so-called sung in so-called English, by the sort of long haired layabouts you get these days.

Oops, just channeled the Old Man there :facepalm: :lolol:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's not my favourite perfume either.

Well, there will rarely be an easier 'shoe in' for the boy Hark...

Sharon: 'Ere Tracey, wot's that perfume you got on?

Tracey: French innit. It's called Viens A Moi

Sharon: Wot's that mean then?

Tracey: It means 'Come To Me'

Sharon: It don't smell like cum to me

:goal:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hip hop without a doubt. Me and my brother playing the 12 inch vinyl of Krush Groovin by the Krush Groove All Stars followed by me playing the Beastie's debut.

They were quite tolerant as musicians themselves but you could see my dad's veins start to bulge when "Licenced to Ill" came on. Three years later and Acid House nearly finished him off.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My mum complained bitterly about "that singer who just shouts all the time"......

Which was just about everyone.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
[QUOTE. He sat through all four sides of Irish Tour 74 when I bought and his verdict was 'that's not bad'. :[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I have utter contempt for anyone that doesn't like Irish Tour '74...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I had the opposite reaction. My dad used to listen outside to stuff I was playing and commented on something he really liked - I remember The Doors were popular. He did used to moan if I was playing things too loud at night but that was the volume rather than the music itself.

I also remember his giving me a lift to see Roxy Music and seeing him stand at the entrance to the Dome, entranced by the exotically dressed audience.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Funnily enough, me as a teenager and them a little older, we always agreed on this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here