Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Two world wars and one world cup!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not quite a Glenn Hoddle moment, but is this true? I think it unlikely

Very very stupid if so

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
[tweet]1413634986243235841[/tweet]

Southgate "went there" apparently...

Regrettably if this comment is true and whilst it will piss off a small percentage of the educated population and of course Scottish people your average England fan is going to love that fighting talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can't get stressed about this.

The full interview gives better context to his personal opinion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So if we beat the Italians, will it be because they have history of surrendering whereas we have the “Blitz” spirit coursing through our veins? :rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So if we beat the Italians, will it be because they have history of surrendering whereas we have the “Blitz” spirit coursing through our veins? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about surrendering. I think that's the French.

I am expecting a couple of Italian subs to switch into a three lions shirt at half time though.

:moo:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Fake news.

He said it. I was a bit taken aback when I saw the quote in this article last night. I mean, he's probably right, the English obsession with World War 2 is unquestionable but I'm surprised he brought it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...hoping-for-a-final-thumbs-up-in-the-colosseum

Screenshot_20210710-080123.png

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Can't get stressed about this.

The full interview gives better context to his personal opinion.

You're right, but then you'd want people to 1) have the attention span or reading ability to read a whole interview, 2) understand the concept of context. Sadly, a significant number of people (lazy people, perpetually outraged people, and shitstirrers) won't be able or willing to see beyond the headline.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He’s only regurgitating the false narrative that has been allowed to percolate forever.

Yes Gareth, people have tried to invade us and often succeeded. The Norwegians, Danes, French. They’ve all succeeded.

As to holding the Nazi regime back, even without the Americans we had called on all the Commonwealth countries and we had the Poles, Czechs, French, Norwegians etc all forming divisions or flying in the RAF.

This sense of invasion is ludicrous, especially when you think of how we invaded Africa, India, China etc etc.

There is so much to love about this country. I love the values of free speech, liberty, equality and accountability that we aspire to. I love our humour, our creativity, our ability to come together when needed (not unique, but we do it). I love our diversity, from Morris Dancing to the Notting Hill Carnival. I love the Cornish coast and the Yorkshire Dales. I love a roaring fire in a winter pub and the sound of a cricket ball being struck. I love our invention and the way we’ll work with anyone to find answers.

I could go on and on. But one thing I am not blind to is some misguided idea that English people alone resisted an invasion from Germany. That’s just stupid Xenophobia and will mean sod all to young men like Raheem Sterling, and should mean sod all to all of us.

Now Gareth, go and win us a cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here