Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Final '66 in Colour - Channel 4 Tomorrow (Saturday) 17:40 - 20:00.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I watched it live, and watched it again a few years' ago. Obviously in black and white. Looking forwards to seeing it again in colour.
SPOILER ALERT! - Although Geoff Hurst scored a hat-trick, Alan Ball was absolutely superb and certainly a "Man of the Match" contender.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched it live, and watched it again a few years' ago. Obviously in black and white. Looking forwards to seeing it again in colour.
SPOILER ALERT! - Although Geoff Hurst scored a hat-trick, Alan Ball was absolutely superb and certainly a "Man of the Match" contender.

Who won?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Russian linesman was a MOTM contender

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
VAR had a large part to play back then. Back then they had a very accurate ruler to help the assistant referee, or linesman depending on your decade

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

el punal

After the 1966 World Cup there was a film, in colour, doing the rounds of cinemas called ‘Goal!’ about . . . the World Cup. I happened to watch it at the Odeon at Leicester Square. Now, for a young football fan like me it was fantastic. Admittedly the shouts on the pitch and the thud of kicking the ball were dubbed but to watch England’s progress to winning it was magical, especially as it was not in black and white. Memories!

el punal

Somewhere in the el punal household I have treasured souvenirs of the great spectacle, namely, one World Cup Willie pennant, official World Cup programme for the tournament, an England Winners stamp, various WC66 mags, and a scrapbook of all the match reports.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
After the 1966 World Cup there was a film, in colour, doing the rounds of cinemas called ‘Goal!’ about . . . the World Cup. I happened to watch it at the Odeon at Leicester Square. Now, for a young football fan like me it was fantastic. Admittedly the shouts on the pitch and the thud of kicking the ball were dubbed but to watch England’s progress to winning it was magical, especially as it was not in black and white. Memories!
Remember my Dad taking me to see that at The Palladium in Littlehampton when it first got released and to see it all in colour was brilliant for me as an 9 year old.
That's when my love of football really began [emoji3590][emoji3590].

As a footnote: My mother is half German and her cousin scored for West Germany in the final, Helmut Haller.

That's my biggest claim to fame .

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its a pity they didn't have goal line technology back then... for Germany
The Russian linesman was still thinking of the Barbarossa campaign at the time.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Why was it a pity? The 'controversial' goal was scored in 101st minute, so the Germans still had time to equalise. We also won 4-2, not 3-2.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Talking of 'that' goal. I saw a video of the goal taken from a camera to the left of the net. The film shows the ball hitting the bar, coming down and then flying out. But in all the 'did it - didn't it' films I've seen, this angle has never been used.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

It was a very difficult decision for the ref. It wasnt over the line, but thats easy to say when you have replays and whatnot available. Difficult for the ref.

The Argentina game was scandalous however, just like the tournament in its entirety. If you think the current Euros where some teams had to travel 10 000 km while others barely had to travel at all is a disgrace of a concept, then it still got nothing on the 1966 tournament. African teams boycotting the tournament because of Stanley Rous being pro-apartheid. South American teams getting training grounds with no goals. Very flawed concept of the English team doctor carrying out doping tests for all the teams, with a lot of suspicion and confusion (teams didnt know if they were allowed to drink coffee) as a result. England getting more days of rest than other teams. And the complex, stupid referee selection thing were European teams that progressed from the group stages also were allowed to field refs... for no real good reason.

It was a poorly arranged tournament, but it lead to a lot of positive changes. First and foremost it resulted in teams, FAs and coaches evaluating and dicussing the development of football after each tournament. It led to refs representing more continents. Subs got introduced to prevent strategies such as "kill Pelé and win the game". It also resulted in a lot of clarifications on what is considered a fair or unfair tackle etc.

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018

I was talking about that with my Mum the other day. Her brother, my uncle, went to all the England games including the final and he's very clearly shown in the film for a good few seconds outside Wembley. As I understand he knew he'd walked past a camera but still quite a surprise (a nice one!) to be so prominent when they saw it on the big screen!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why was it a pity? The 'controversial' goal was scored in 101st minute, so the Germans still had time to equalise. We also won 4-2, not 3-2.

Many would claim, (perhaps rightly), that the third "goal" . . . wasn't, and that the ball never crossed the line. Either way though, 3-2 would still have been a win.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
IIn 1966 l was a mere 10 year old, and as the game was taking place l was far more interested in pushing my Dinky cars across the carpet, along with my friend Patrick.

I seem to recall our dads becoming very voluable though as they watched on tv.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here