Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England fan sacked

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/england-fan-sacked-after-pulling-24495188

As an employer myself, I've some sympathy for her boss, maybe she should have been honest from the outset?

Many years ago a mate of mine from Manchester took his mistress to watch a cup replay at Upton Park between West Ham and Man Utd, he bought two seats off a tout in the main stand, and ended up in numerous crowd shots on Sportsnight with Harry Carpenter, half of South Manchester saw him on TV, including his soon to be ex wife.:ffsparr:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Im guessing the company were looking for an opportunity to get rid of her for whatever reason and jumped on this.

If they are giving staff Monday morning off due to the football then they are a decent employer.

If I had a valued member of staff that did this

a) I would want to retain them regardless and I'd give them a warning to save face if required
b) but would have expected a decent loyal person to have called me first anyway.

The fact that it is in the news frankly shows shes a bitch

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In 1999 I did a Ferris Bueller and went to see Australia v Zimbabwe in the cricket World Cup.

Luckily no TV evidence was used against me.

I'd have happily taken holiday but couldn't face the moaning about it being a last minute request. So sickee it was.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Im guessing the company were looking for an opportunity to get rid of her for whatever reason and jumped on this.

If they are giving staff Monday morning off due to the football then they are a decent employer.

a) I would want to retain them regardless and I'd give them a warning to save face if required
b) but would have expected a decent loyal person to have called me first anyway.

Wow.

Thats quite a leap.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I was thinking that. It does say she was freelance but then her employer said she had a contract of employment, so it's very hard to know the exact situation as the details are very scarce and conflicting. But in general, if you fire someone you have to follow a procedure even if its gross misconduct, like this probably would have been. If they geniunely sacked her by phone the next morning, that doesn't sound like they conducted an investiagtion or interviewed her about it. Therefore if she had a contract of employment, I would be suspect she has a very good case to sue them for unfair dismissal.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Isn't this just what ITV were encouraging us to do?

In a side story, many years ago we bunked off to watch Sussex v Kent in the Benson & Hedges cup. We bumped into Mr Cox, our maths teacher - who basically said 'I haven't seen you, and you haven't seen me...'

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A catalogue of errors here;

Snidey employees pulling sickies and lying get my goat.
People getting so carried away with a football match they’d lose their livelyhood over it.
Boss not following procedure
Colleagues grassing her up
Actually believing a “digital content provider” taking a day off would make any difference.

I think we can all agree the only realistic solution is to sack everyone, liquidate the company, burn the building to the ground and imprison this lying employee.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Why on earth didn't she just ask? Most employers would allow a day off their annual leave allowance for a special occasion. Honesty pays.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why on earth didn't she just ask? Most employers would allow a day off their annual leave allowance for a special occasion. Honesty pays.

Quite. Some people still operate on the principal of “easier to ask forgiveness than permission”. Which sometimes works but not really with workplace situations.
If I were the employer I’d be wondering what else she’s prepared to lie about.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Plus anyone with half a brain would book the match dates off way in advance. If we hadn’t qualified, no harm done. If you get a last minute ticket, you can attend.
Totally unnecessary balls up on her part. I’d sack her for lack of foresight alone .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was thinking that. It does say she was freelance but then her employer said she had a contract of employment, so it's very hard to know the exact situation as the details are very scarce and conflicting. But in general, if you fire someone you have to follow a procedure even if its gross misconduct, like this probably would have been. If they geniunely sacked her by phone the next morning, that doesn't sound like they conducted an investiagtion or interviewed her about it. Therefore if she had a contract of employment, I would be suspect she has a very good case to sue them for unfair dismissal.

She was employed by this company, but also does other work freelance, two separate and unrelated roles.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Plus anyone with half a brain would book the match dates off way in advance. If we hadn’t qualified, no harm done. If you get a last minute ticket, you can attend.
Totally unnecessary balls up on her part. I’d sack her for lack of foresight alone .

Always done that, Albion fixtures released, midweek dates booked, England qualify work out when they could be playing book time off.
Obviously a lot easier now with WFH and more flexible hours.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Always done that, Albion fixtures released, midweek dates booked, England qualify work out when they could be playing book time off.
Obviously a lot easier now with WFH and more flexible hours.
Exactly.
I do similar, and also with gigs etc.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I would say that as her job was to provide digital content she's excelled herself.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

I agree she was unlikely to have been a valued employee, but there is no need for the bitch part, maybe she is a lovely person but rubbish at her job.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here