Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan base

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Lancing & Worthing full of Brighton people priced out of Brighton. I'm now in Lancing, via Lewes Brighton & Shoreham. Match days the trains are packed coming west from Littlehampton / Worthing. Doesn't help usually only 4 coaches mind!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
thing is Brighton has a lot of people living there who aren't originally from the area, so are unlikely to be Brighton fans (20,000 students for a start). I think one thing that might change is that kids nowadays are far more likely to support the Albion than was the case in pre-Amex days.

The towns around Brighton are full of people born in Brighton but priced out...plus the Albion historically gather a lot of support from those towns anyway.

I'm in East Preston/Rustington, which realistically is actually quite far from Brighton and Brighton isn't much nearer than Portsmouth but you see a lot of Brighton shirts

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I would argue that Worthing and Lancing are more of a hotbed for our support than Brighton itself.

Any thoughts anyone?

I think a lot of people are priced out of Brighton and hove , especially those with young kids , so I expect there are large numbers of Albion fans living in places like lancing , Worthing , seaford , littlehampton etc as well as Burgess hill , Hayward’s Heath etc .

It’s the same in London , how many people can afford to buy a house in a prime residential part like South Kensington etc , that’s why areas like Croydon and parts of south east London are popular, it’s all house price related .

The big difference of course , is the level of violent crime in Croydon and parts of south east London which the outer areas of Brighton and hove don’t have .

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
thing is Brighton has a lot of people living there who aren't originally from the area, so are unlikely to be Brighton fans (20,000 students for a start). I think one thing that might change is that kids nowadays are far more likely to support the Albion than was the case in pre-Amex days.

The towns around Brighton are full of people born in Brighton but priced out...plus the Albion historically gather a lot of support from those towns anyway.

I'm in East Preston/Rustington, which realistically is actually quite far from Brighton and Brighton isn't much nearer than Portsmouth but you see a lot of Brighton shirts

22 miles to falmer, 31 to portsmouth

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think it's always been true that Brighton has a supporter base spread across the county, especially as (until Crawley rose through the ranks) it was the only pro club in Sussex.

Some of these people are from Brighton originally but I suspect the majority aren't.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
22 miles to falmer, 31 to portsmouth

I doubt it's much quicker to get to the Amex on the train from Angmering/Littlehampton than it is to get to Fratton Park

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Portslade, Southwick and Shoreham are the biggest Albion supporting towns in terms of % of population.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whilst I have 2 spud near neighbours, the vast majority of Central Shoreham is Brighton. quite a few of our neighbours have moved over from the east.

There's even a Leeds fan the next road along. house prices have plummeted there. :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here