Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So why has this team managed to do what no other England team has done in 55 years?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
A discussion point only, I clearly don't have the answer, but I'm interested to know people's opinions

And yes, I know we haven't won it.. yet... maybe... but the team has still surpassed all the others since 1966, and yet I look at the teamsheet and wonder why?

Look at the players and compare them against some England players previously since 1990...

Pickford - Seaman/Shilton
Shaw - Cole, Pearce
Walker - Neville
Maguire/Stones - Adams, Ferdinand, Terry
Rice/Phillips - Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes
Sterling/Saka/Mount - Gascoigne, Rooney, Beckham
Kane - Lineker, Shearer

I look through that list and I would replace pretty most of those players now with a player from back then going on reputation and how good those players were/are perceived to be.

Is it because I'm looking back through rose tinted glasses and thinking those players were better than what we have now, when actually they aren't (Like when we would say to our parents about how good player x is, and they would say Charlton/Moore were far better)?
Is it because this team has no one/two outstanding players in it, therefore play far more as a team rather than "Get the ball to Rooney/Beckham" etc.
Is it because previous teams have looked absolutely petrified of losing, yet this team doesn't seem to have that same fear?
Is it because of the man management of Southgate, tactical, making the right decisions?
Did we just get the easy luck of the draw (even though the fancied sides getting knocked out by lesser sides means those sides played brilliantly so not necessarily easier!)?
A combination of all of these?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because they've approached this tournament NOT as a 'golden generation' but as a team who'll need to graft to get results.

Say what you want about GS, and I frequently have, but every other manager would have attempted to squeeze Folden, Sock Boy, Sterling and Sancho into the same team just to appease the entitled media and fans.

GS has been thoughtful and pragmatic, I can't name another England manager I'd write that about, he's had a plan and has executed it perfectly.

Scroll back 6 weeks and I wouldn't have written a word of that.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm with Stat

Gsouth has played what he considers a team capable of getting a job done . . . .not just trying to get 11 of the best players on the pitch at the same time.

there are better individuals on the bench than on the pitch . . He's not even playing the best goal keeper in the squad.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Squad togetherness is a factor I think. This lot all seem to get on well unlike previous years where we heard stories of club rivalries and cliques being divisive within the squad.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Rice/Phillips - Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes

I’m not sure some of your matchups are fair. Eg. Above. 2 holding players, destroyers vs 3 of the most exquisite creative players of the last generation.

Agree with Stat above. The difference is Southgate. Clearly. We’ve all seen umpteen England managers come and go and nearly all fail. So he’s the difference. Why. Many reasons, including not being swayed by the media and the public into who plays and how we line up.

In the past we played Lamps and Gerrard together, Scholes on the left wing and Joe Cole or whoever we could crow bar in. Balance is important.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Germans were poor. Previous teams would have stuffed us.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
A lot of credit has to go to the changing of the guard at the FA. Greg Dyke and Dan Ashworth providing a framework for stability and consistent youth development.

Coaching staff can come and go without changing the overall goals, see Brighton and our academy development under Dan Ashworth.

Also the players, of course.

And finally, diving. Or rather drawing the foul. It's part of the modern game, love it or hate it but we have benefited.

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Because they've approached this tournament NOT as a 'golden generation' but as a team who'll need to graft to get results.

Say what you want about GS, and I frequently have, but every other manager would have attempted to squeeze Folden, Sock Boy, Sterling and Sancho into the same team just to appease the entitled media and fans.

GS has been thoughtful and pragmatic, I can't name another England manager I'd write that about, he's had a plan and has executed it perfectly.

^ this ^

It has become about the system & team rather than crowbarring 'star' names into the starting XI. There seems to be a collective purpose and unity which has been severely lacking before.

Southgate won't be swayed from his pragmatic approach which plays to our strengths, despite the media & fan clamour for a more adventurous approach. Fair play to him for that.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Agree with this and add that he isn't a 'Yes Man'. He doesn't pick players just because they play for certain clubs. He doesn't pander to the media or the fans. He picks a good management team to help him. And he's been a bit lucky.

He doesn't necessarily pick the best players, he picks what he thinks will be the players who will best fit the system he wants to play.

So far it's worked perfectly.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Well for the first year of the 55, so 1967, there was no opportunity to win a cup.

I hope that helps.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of credit has to go to the changing of the guard at the FA. Greg Dyke and Dan Ashworth providing a framework for stability and consistent youth development. Coaching staff can come and go without changing the overall goals, see Brighton and our academy development under Dan Ashworth.

No sorry I'm not really having this as our bit of 'being successful by association'.

The modern era England team has always had youth development and 'stability' is a bit of a nothing word when it comes to the players and tournament football.
Not one of them is currently thinking 'I'm glad there's some stability at the FA'.

I'd love to know how GS' interview went when he fell into the job - and he did fall into it.

Hopefully, with absolutely nothing to lose, he said:-
'You know we're actually a bit shite, don't you?
Well I can make that work in our favour'.

:lolol:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
1. Squad cohesion. It's clear that the whole squad of players - even those who haven't played a minute - are all happy to play whatever part is needed of them, and that they are a close knit group. Grealish being subbed on then off, didn't appear to mind. Sancho only playing one game so far and seemingly being happy to play that part. They're all more motivated by the result of the team primarily and not any personal gain

2. Southgate - has his faults, but the biggest thing he's done over the last few years imo is take the pressure away from the players. He's managed to get the media and fans all behind the team - stark contrast to Rooney et al in 2010, and the pressure that's been on England teams to perform in the past is what has been their downfall

3. We have ridiculous strength in depth, especially in attacking positions. The fact that we can start Sterling, Kane and Saka and still have Sancho, Grealish and Foden to come in of chasing a game is mind-blowing. Very few teams have that level of quality on the bench, and it's made the difference in the Germany and Denmark games

3a. As mentioned above, despite having that squad quality, Southgate hasn't tried to squeeze them all in. Instead he's chosen the right time to play each of them based on the formation and opposition.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Luck.

:wink:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
No sorry I'm not really having this as our bit of 'being successful by association'.

The modern era England team has always had youth development and 'stability' is a bit of a nothing word when it comes to the players and tournament football.
Not one of them is currently thinking 'I'm glad there's some stability at the FA'.

I'd love to know how GS' interview went when he fell into the job - and he did fall into it.

Hopefully, with absolutely nothing to lose, he said:-
'You know we're actually a bit shite, don't you?
Well I can make that work in our favour'.

:lolol:

Southgate was already onboard, he was part of the revolution to the technical director model. You've answered your question.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Squad togetherness is a factor I think. This lot all seem to get on well unlike previous years where we heard stories of club rivalries and cliques being divisive within the squad.

Everybody is included, even the ones who don’t get on the bench. This is Ben Whites photo. See if you can spot him.
2870FAD4-F437-4BE4-BF3F-D013A27F7CB4.jpeg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Nailed it with the first response.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Germans were poor. Previous teams would have stuffed us.

This. Poor German side and a soft draw through to the final. England squad is bang average but has managed to somehow swerve the likes of Belgium who would have put them to the sword earlydoors.

Still, total respect to the England squad for putting smiles on faces. Christ knows we've needed it this past 18 months. Enjoy the final :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the biggest factor is mentality.

How many times have we seen our top players go into tournaments and die on their arses. They freeze, they buckle under the pressure and look a shadow of the players we see tearing it up week-in week-out for their clubs, both domestically and in Europe. It accounts for our misplaced optimism whenever these tournaments come round - they ALWAYS let us down.

This squad is different. Southgate has somehow created a relaxed environment, where (from the outside looking in) there is harmony, and calm. The players are trusted to go out and express themselves. They look calm and relaxed, they look confident. I dunno how Southgate has managed to instil that, but just look at the performances he is getting from each and every one of them as a result.

Mentality, I tells ya.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here