Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sweet Caroline - why?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Something else to moan about. Jesus Christ, honestly.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Because good times never felt so good.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Something else to moan about. Jesus Christ, honestly.

I think the Wembley grass should be mowed in the shape of a lion.

I thought I dreamed that we just made a major final for the first time in my lifetime and we are discussing this??

Gotta love football fans.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
An American who has probaly never been to a Football match singing about some bint as opposed to William Blake and Edward Elgar? You can't be English...

Since when has Jerusalem ever had anything to do with football? It's been a cricket song for years.

I was at the Germany game and Sweet Caroline was fantastic, even better than Three Lions.

It's amazing how people find something to moan about. England on the brink of a trophy for the first time in almost 60 years and somebody moans about the song choice in a stadium they're not even at. Mad.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I believe the Wembley PA started playing it before/after games and it’s gone from there.

It’s been a big part of Matchroom boxing shows (including Wembley) for many years.

Was also sung frequently in the Albion dressing room during our 16/17 promotion season.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Need to keep religion out of sport. We don't need a song wondering if some long haired layabout went for a wonder around Britain.

How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_QSMTtUQYY

Satire, innit. Blake was mocking those given to post-Napoleonic, patriotic bluster.

But you're right, it's a cricket song.

I think Sweet Caroline lacks originality, but people enjoy it, and it sort of confirms that I am a tedious old fart.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'm not sure that a singalong with a few thousand emotionally triggered football fans is the time or place to introduce standards of musical quality.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes Chef;9923642[B said:
]Satire, innit. Blake was mocking those given to post-Napoleonic, patriotic bluster. [/B]

But you're right, it's a cricket song.

I think Sweet Caroline lacks originality, but people enjoy it, and it sort of confirms that I am a tedious old fart.

I thought it was a call to arms to build Christianity in England?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here