Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone else enjoying the Euros super-speedy VAR reviews?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
E5uwhb5X0AMdJst.jpeg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes! Much better. Don’t want it in general but if we’re gonna have it this is 10x better than the prem use…

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes! Much better. Don’t want it in general but if we’re gonna have it this is 10x better than the prem use…

This.
Though have to say thought the Kane one was a pen and the Sterling one was a little soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This.
Though have to say thought the Kane one was a pen and the Sterling one was a little soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - it sure what happened here. Tbf both those free kicks for them were soft - Sterling’s pen was soft - yet Kane’s looked a clear and obvious pen. Also gave free kick bizarrely for Kane’s which I assume was simulation (wrongly) but no card? Surely VAR should’ve at least got the ref to watch the Kane one pitch-side?!?! Just made no sense to me & could've really cost us.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Quick VAR is great when you don't care about the outcome. I prefer accuracy to speed when Albion or England are involved.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Quick VAR is great when you don't care about the outcome. I prefer accuracy to speed when Albion or England are involved.

I prefer flow of the game to accuracy which is why quick decisions are vital. Mistakes happen and are unimportant in the greater scheme of life. This years Euros have moderated my anti VAR view so they must be doing something right (in my book).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I prefer flow of the game to accuracy which is why quick decisions are vital. Mistakes happen and are unimportant in the greater scheme of life. This years Euros have moderated my anti VAR view so they must be doing something right (in my book).

Agreed. Quick look, the officials on the field have given a decision, is it 'clear and obvious' that the decision is wrong? No? Carry on then. I'm now only opposed to VAR rather than being violently and passionately opposed. Still couldn't celebrate the England equaliser last night though as I was waiting for the inevitable VAR kerfuffle.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Yes it seems the Euros have VAR as it was intended to be

Whilst EPL seems to have pedants guide to making decisions that are so clear and obvious they only take five minutes

SAC

May 21, 2014
The problem with the English version of VAR is that they are too interested in getting the decision correct*, no matter how long it takes. Euro not 2020 has shown that it can be done quickly and be mostly correct. If we are to keep VAR, and I'm sure we are, this is how it should be used next season.

*I do appreciate that many don't feel that the VAR decisions are correct.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

That is because the quality of match officials is in a different class to the lumbering bunch of incompetents who want to be the centre of attention that we have to endure in the PL. Simple as that really

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yep - it sure what happened here. Tbf both those free kicks for them were soft - Sterling’s pen was soft - yet Kane’s looked a clear and obvious pen. Also gave free kick bizarrely for Kane’s which I assume was simulation (wrongly) but no card? Surely VAR should’ve at least got the ref to watch the Kane one pitch-side?!?! Just made no sense to me & could've really cost us.

Because Kane wasn’t booked for simulation I can only assume the free kick was given because the ref thought Kane fouled the Denmark player. I’m sure the rubbish ITV commentator mentioned something about Kane’s foot kicking the Dane first.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agreed. Quick look, the officials on the field have given a decision, is it 'clear and obvious' that the decision is wrong? No? Carry on then. I'm now only opposed to VAR rather than being violently and passionately opposed. Still couldn't celebrate the England equaliser last night though as I was waiting for the inevitable VAR kerfuffle.

Perhaps what we have needed is recognition that a lot of decisions in football can only be subjective. The England penalty last night is a good example. In my view it was a dive. Others disagree. Doesn’t matter how many times we look at it that won’t change. By making decisions quickly there is understanding that VAR only has value for the factual/objective decision making. The PL should take this relative success further and mandate a 10 second time limit on all VAR reviews.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For me, VAR has been superb at this tournament and an example of how it should be used. The only negative is no replays.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Because Kane wasn’t booked for simulation I can only assume the free kick was given because the ref thought Kane fouled the Denmark player. I’m sure the rubbish ITV commentator mentioned something about Kane’s foot kicking the Dane first.

I didn't think what happened was all that confusing to be honest, but the commentators did a woeful job of clearing it up, and just muddied the waters by getting it all wrong. Compounded by the idiot Peter Walton doing the same.

This is what happened:
- There was a challenge by an England player 6 yards outside the box to win the ball back. It could have gone either way whether any foul was committed.
- The ball broke into the box, where Kane reached it first and was caught by the Denmark player.
- The ref blew his whistle and pointed up the field, giving Denmark a free kick for the FIRST CHALLENGE.
- Because there was a potential case for a penalty, there was a VAR review.
- The first job of the VAR team was to look at that first challenge and decide if the ref made an obvious error. He hadn't - it was certainly a subjective call. And that would have been the end of the VAR review. they will not even have looked at the challenge on Kane. It becomes irrelevant (exactly like when someone gets hacked down in the box, but there is seen to be an offside in the build up).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I didn't think what happened was all that confusing to be honest, but the commentators did a woeful job of clearing it up, and just muddied the waters by getting it all wrong. Compounded by the idiot Peter Walton doing the same.

This is what happened:
- There was a challenge by an England player 6 yards outside the box to win the ball back. It could have gone either way whether any foul was committed.
- The ball broke into the box, where Kane reached it first and was caught by the Denmark player.
- The ref blew his whistle and pointed up the field, giving Denmark a free kick for the FIRST CHALLENGE.
- Because there was a potential case for a penalty, there was a VAR review.
- The first job of the VAR team was to look at that first challenge and decide if the ref made an obvious error. He hadn't - it was certainly a subjective call. And that would have been the end of the VAR review. they will not even have looked at the challenge on Kane. It becomes irrelevant (exactly like when someone gets hacked down in the box, but there is seen to be an offside in the build up).

Peter Walton is an absolute moron, how he gets paid work is beyond me.

I have always been staunchly anti VAR for a number of reasons but they way it's been used and interpreted in the tournament has shown it can work well. If we could get it working in the PL like they have here then I have much less of an issue with it because at least you know that any really horrendously wrong calls will be overturned.

It also worked well in the 2018 World Cup so what are we doing wrong with it domestically? As we know there's nothing wrong with the actual technology, it's the human interpretation that has been the problem so is that our officials are just that much worse than the rest of the world's?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here