Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Paving/Landscaping advice

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just had some paving completed for a small patch of grass where eventually a picnic bench will sit.

Unfortunately, at one of end of the strip of grass there is a drain cover. With the remit of making it look as neat as possible this is what the tradesman I employed has come up with as in the photo. He seems to think it's OK whilst I think it looks terrible.

Any tradespeople think I'm being unreasonable? Looks like a botch job to my eyes. What should he have done? 20210706_104609_compress30.jpg

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Yeah, that’s not great. I’m getting my garden landscaped in a couple of weeks as it happens and have a similar issue in that we have a manhole cover close to the centre.

The best solution is something like this, so the drain cover can still be removed for access but otherwise generally blends into the paving.

355cc992d10c55aef83eaf52876189d2.jpg

I’d show your man that (or something similar) - that ain’t good enough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That looks like I did it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just had some paving completed for a small patch of grass where eventually a picnic bench will sit.

Unfortunately, at one of end of the strip of grass there is a drain cover. With the remit of making it look as neat as possible this is what the tradesman I employed has come up with as in the photo. He seems to think it's OK whilst I think it looks terrible.

Any tradespeople think I'm being unreasonable? Looks like a botch job to my eyes. What should he have done?View attachment 138315

Is this image taken from the Hubble telescope???
With respect, get the imbecile to come back and re-do it, or get someone who knows what they're doing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the top and right i could let go, though with a wiggle and lining up gap to the top side it might even line up - so why haven't they.

the left side is utter gash and not even trying. and 2" of muck left is not acceptable either.

and thats overlooking the recess assuming its by design.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Blimey, I hope he was dodging the Indians while he did it, otherwise no excuse.

Poojah posted an example of what I had at my last house except it had sliding handles to lift it for inspection purposes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Any tradespeople think I'm being unreasonable? Looks like a botch job to my eyes. What should he have done?View attachment 138315

Below the picture on NSC there is a dialogue box labeled 'Reply with quote'.

£300.

Seriously, that's proper shit. You can get a plastic cover than can have tiles laid on it. We have them and they look smashing.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Sorry to say if you have paid for that you've been had. That's a terrible job.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Where did you get this person from? It looks like they've never done paving before. Have you paid them yet? They're obviously going to be incapable of putting this right, otherwise they would have done it properly in the first place.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Did he have tape measure?
Sorry I mean did he have a white stick?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here