Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Flash Gordon and Rocky given tighter age ratings by BBFC - any others?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57733015

Gordon's Alive! Both films now rated 12A is "as a result of changing standards in society," the BBFC said.

They should be making Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a 15 just for that child catcher bloke. Scary as hell. Certainly scarier than Flash Gordon or Rocky! I had nightmares for years.

The witch and monkeys in Wizard of Oz were not far behind either.

Anything else that you think should have a tighter rating?

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Gordon's Alive! Both films now rated 12A is "as a result of changing standards in society," the BBFC said.

They should be making Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a 15 just for that child catcher bloke. Scary as hell. Certainly scarier than Flash Gordon or Rocky! I had nightmares for years.

BBFC you mean. Before it turns into one of those threads.

A few mates with kids were discussing Star Wars the other day, that used to be a U. I'm not sure charred remains are particularly kid friendly.
I never understood how Last of the Mohicans got a 12 with some of the violence in that

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BBFC you mean. Before it turns into one of those threads.

A few mates with kids were discussing Star Wars the other day, that used to be a U. I'm not sure charred remains are particularly kid friendly.
I never understood how Last of the Mohicans got a 12 with some of the violence in that

Not to mention a severed arm, in a bar fully of scum and villainy.

I can remember watching that bit at a mates house on VHS when I was probably about 10 or 11. We ghoulishly slow-mo'd as the camera panned up the arm, and paused it at the bloodied stump so we could study it closely (good practice for Porky's a few years later).

Strangely, both of us seem to have survived the experience without too much emotional scarring.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pinocchio. **** me that film is an absolute head**** for kids.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Nothing to with the BBC at all. You are confusing it with the British Board of Film Classification.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
BBFC. Not the BBC.

Do ratings for films not in the cinema mean anything? With online platforms being far and away the preferred medium for home viewers all but those kids with the strictest of parents will watch anything they like.

ARE YOU OVER 18?
YES
NO

What criminal mastermind could penetrate that fortress of security? :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its all downhill from here, down in the moral abyss. In 20 years people will be saying "fudge" on British national television.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Its all downhill from here, down in the moral abyss. In 20 years people will be saying "fudge" on British national television.

Well, no. That’s not what they are saying is it. They are not stopping people swearing or stopping adult content. They are reclassifying two films.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not to mention a severed arm, in a bar fully of scum and villainy.

I can remember watching that bit at a mates house on VHS when I was probably about 10 or 11. We ghoulishly slow-mo'd as the camera panned up the arm, and paused it at the bloodied stump so we could study it closely (good practice for Porky's a few years later).

Strangely, both of us seem to have survived the experience without too much emotional scarring.

I blame all my odd behaviour on the fact that while left with my aunt in school holidays from the age of 5-10 I would repeatedly watch John Boorman's Excalibur as she thought it was acceptable a s it had Knights and castles in.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Bambi - Shooting animals dead, it should at least an 18
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory encouraging children to eat more chocolate to get the golden ticket, another 18 to stop obesity.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Nothing to do with TV. The BBFC ratings are advisory and broadcasters can slap on their own ratings.

Your example would infer the request of edits which rarely happens. That's where a rating system comes in.

It places the responsibility on the viewer and is a very liberal way of doing this. The complete anthesis of what you and others are implying on this thread.

The BBFC rarely gets grief from the press about what it has cut out, only usually what it has left in.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nothing to do with TV. The BBFC ratings are advisory and broadcasters can slap on their own ratings.

Your example would infer the request of edits which rarely happens. That's where a rating system comes in.

It places the responsibility on the viewer and is a very liberal way of doing this. The complete anthesis of what you are others are implying on this thread.

The BBFC rarely gets grief from the press about what it has cut out, only usually what it has left in.

You are of course, correct. But that means certain posters don’t get to have their hysterical tantrums about PC gone mad.
Of course, not knowing the difference between the BBFC and the BBC doesn’t help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jaws is/was a PG.

Anything else is all rather insignificant.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Snow White and Sleeping Beauty among the usual suspects, I expect. I always found it strange, back in the day, that violence was considered fine, whether it was cowboys and Indians shooting each other, war films, or gangster films or whatever - but the slightest whiff of sex or nudity had the BBFC reaching for the smelling salts!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It places the responsibility on the viewer and is a very liberal way of doing this. The complete anthesis of what you and others are implying on this thread.

Remember seeing Beverley Hills Cop on Telly for the first time, had never heard the curse "Maggot Farmer" before.

And this.:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHKBlLyrRMI

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was annoyed at the third Mad Max film, Beyond the Thunderdome, getting a 15 rating, it should have been a 12, except for the inclusion of a single instance of the F word, and then I would have realised it had even less in common with the first two films than I had imagined, and been less pissed off at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here