Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Seven members of the England ODI set-up test positive

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Three players and four "management" testing positive.

The whole squad has to isolate and a new squad led by Ben Stokes will be selected.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can someone explain how, in this situation, the whole squad has to self-isolate for 10 days and yet with Billy Gilmour, the Scotland football squad were all OK, but England players had to also self-isolate?

It's a good job that life is going completely back to normal in just under two weeks' time, then.

Oh... :whistle:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Aside from obviously hoping the effected players and staff are ok, my main takeaway from this is that I'd totally forgotten this Pakistan series is taking place. I expect I will again before happening across a headline on Thursday announcing that England have won the toss and decided to bowl.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can someone explain how, in this situation, the whole squad has to self-isolate for 10 days and yet with Billy Gilmour, the Scotland football squad were all OK, but England players had to also self-isolate?

It's a good job that life is going completely back to normal in just under two weeks' time, then.

Oh... :whistle:

Length of close contact. Gilmour spent 20 odd minutes in close proximity with his mates from Chelsea. Probably a load of guff as far as the virus itself is concerned but those are the rules. One prolonged period of close contact is bad - dozens of shorter periods of close contact is good.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Oh dear.

In light of yesterdays announcement about nearly all restrictions ending on the 19th though, how how long is this sort of procedure going to continue in professional sport? Clearly the government are taking the view that we have to start living with the virus and treating it more like flu etc, does professional sport do the same after the 19th?

I've no agenda by the way, I don't know enough about the risks or what the answer is, just interested to know.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh dear.

In light of yesterdays announcement about nearly all restrictions ending on the 19th though, how how long is this sort of procedure going to continue in professional sport? Clearly the government are taking the view that we have to start living with the virus and treating it more like flu etc, does professional sport do the same after the 19th?

I've no agenda by the way, I don't know enough about the risks or what the answer is, just interested to know.

There's got to be a significant chance of wide-scale disruption to football. Hopefully restricted to individual player isolations rather than whole squads being impacted resulting in fixture postponements.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh dear.

ECB Statement

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/2184616/covid-announcement

The interesting passage is:

‘‘We have been mindful that the emergence of the Delta variant, along with our move away from the stringent enforcement of bio secure environments, could increase the chances of an outbreak. We made a strategic choice to try to adapt protocols, in order to support the overall wellbeing of our players and management staff who have spent much of the last 14 months living in very restricted conditions."

which would seem to indicate that the restrictions on the team had been relaxed recently and this is the outcome, so maybe professional sport may not be as carefree as Johnson wants otherwise we may end seeing U23 or Youth teams fulfilling fixtures.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There's got to be a significant chance of wide-scale disruption to football. Hopefully restricted to individual player isolations rather than whole squads being impacted resulting in fixture postponements.

That's what I thought. Surely individual isolations will have to come in sooner rather than later if we are to return to some form of 'normality'.

Judging by the anticipated level of infections, it could be chaos come August. We could have crowds of 20k/30k/50k etc crammed in a stadium watching under 23 sides playing most of the first team games because one or two first team players test positive. Or the games will be postponed because clubs can't even put the kids out.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Why can't daily negative tests be used as pre-requisite to play? If test negative the day before, unlikely to be highly infectious even if infected.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Needing a hero, is it?

_112956466_b3e0f019-8d62-4e70-aa50-57cc4b1a6e41.jpg

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Just waiting for this to happen to the England football team today. Imagine.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh dear.

Surely if all restrictions are off and "we have to live with coronavirus" now, that should mean that self-isolating becomes a thing of the past. Or else why would people self-isolate if none of the other rules are in place?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[tweet]1412350669558853632[/tweet] confirmed by Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here