Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The English Danes

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We're all Danish apparently. Well lots of us! Good to have both bases covered. :)

https://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/englishdanes.htm

During a pause in the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801 Admiral Horatio Nelson addressed a message to the Danish authorities as to the Danes, the brothers of the Englishmen. There was a good deal of validity to that characterization of the relationship between the Danes and the English. Nelson was probably referring that period starting in the ninth century A.D. when Danes occupied the eastern portion of the island of Britain. English speakers and Danish speakers were in close contact with each other for a century or so. As a result the grammar of the Anglo-Saxon language was simplified. Horatio Nelson was probably descended from those Danes in England. But the relationship between the English and Denmark goes deeper and farther back in history.

When the Romans withdrew troops from Britain the Celtic tribes of the north began to attack the Roman Britons of the south. These civilized Roman Britons found they were no match for the wild, barbaric Celts. They sought help from the nearby Germanic tribes. They chose not to call upon the Franks closeby across the Channel. Instead they made contact with the tribal leaders of the Jutes, the Angles and the Saxons.

Where were these tribes located? The Jutes were located on the main peninsula of Denmark (northwestern Denmark) and that area is still called Jutland. The Angeles were located in or near the southwest corner of Denmark. The Saxons were located along the German coast to the west of Denmark.

These Germanic tribes came to the aid of the Roman Britons in 457 A.D. and stopped the invasion of the Celtic tribes from the north but these Germanic tribes decided to stay, settle and occupy Britain. The Angles settled in the middle and north of Britain up to and including the Lowlands of Scotland. The Jutes settled in Kent in the southeast and the Isle of Wright. So the people of the north and east of Britain to a great extent were from Denmark. The Saxons settled in the southwest of Britain.

The people from the lowlands of Scotland who were settled in northeastern Ireland and became known as the Scot Irish were simply the descendants of the Angles.

The language spoken by the Saxon tribes came to be known as English, even though there were dialect differences. The language which evolved from the language of the Angles is known as Lowlands Scots. So Lowland Scots is basically Anglish. And the so-called Scot Irish people are actually Anglish.

So the people of the north and east of Britain to a great extent were from Denmark.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The best Danish Resistance film you will never watch. Mads Mikkelsen at his finest.

A343789E-9859-4D29-9719-4E3F6BB3A504.jpeg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hard not to love Horatio Nelson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1801)

Thinking that Nelson might have fought to a stand-still but might be unable to retreat without orders (the Articles of War demanded that all ranks 'do their utmost' against the enemy in battle), at 1:30pm Parker told his flag captain:

I will make the signal of recall for Nelson's sake. If he is in condition to continue the action, he will disregard it; if he is not, it will be an excuse for his retreat and no blame can be imputed to him.

Nelson ordered that the signal be acknowledged, but not repeated. He turned to his flag captain, Thomas Foley, and said "You know, Foley, I only have one eye — I have the right to be blind sometimes," and then, holding his telescope to his blind eye, said "I really do not see the signal!" Rear Admiral Graves repeated the signal, but in a place invisible to most other ships while keeping Nelson's 'close action' signal at his masthead.

Smash Up!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hard not to love Horatio Nelson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1801)

Thinking that Nelson might have fought to a stand-still but might be unable to retreat without orders (the Articles of War demanded that all ranks 'do their utmost' against the enemy in battle), at 1:30pm Parker told his flag captain:

I will make the signal of recall for Nelson's sake. If he is in condition to continue the action, he will disregard it; if he is not, it will be an excuse for his retreat and no blame can be imputed to him.

Nelson ordered that the signal be acknowledged, but not repeated. He turned to his flag captain, Thomas Foley, and said "You know, Foley, I only have one eye — I have the right to be blind sometimes," and then, holding his telescope to his blind eye, said "I really do not see the signal!" Rear Admiral Graves repeated the signal, but in a place invisible to most other ships while keeping Nelson's 'close action' signal at his masthead.

Smash Up!

I am really surprised that nobody has found some link with Nelson to slavery or colonialism and demanded Nelsons column be torn down.
Or renamed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am really surprised that nobody has found some link with Nelson to slavery or colonialism and demanded Nelsons column be torn down.
Or renamed.

He used to insert his spyglass up his anus………….apparently it’s on Google somewhere

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
We're all Danish apparently. Well lots of us! Good to have both bases covered. :)

According to my Ancestry report from 23andme I'm 03.% Scandinavian and 72.5% British & Irish.

So I guess I'm not Danish

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The years leading up to athelstad becoming the first king of England before the Normans really is a fascinating period of history.
The more I read about that period,the more I feel a bond towards the Norwegian,Swedes,Danes and parts of Germany.
The Vikings TV show really helped me realise how closely tied we actually are with the Nordics.
England was truly born out of the battles between all that lot and also I think we have a nice mix of both Nordic/pagan religion and Christianity because of that mix.
England Vs Denmark does feel like we are playing against a people who we have a close link to ourselves.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
The years leading up to athelstad becoming the first king of England before the Normans really is a fascinating period of history.
The more I read about that period,the more I feel a bond towards the Norwegian,Swedes,Danes and parts of Germany.
The Vikings TV show really helped me realise how closely tied we actually are with the Nordics.
England was truly born out of the battles between all that lot and also I think we have a nice mix of both Nordic/pagan religion and Christianity because of that mix.
England Vs Denmark does feel like we are playing against a people who we have a close link to ourselves.

The Norseman (Normans) were Vikings really so 1066 was their big victory. Their influence over the whole of Western Europe was huge.

Having visited Iceland, Denmark & Sweden, we do have so much in common with our Nordic neighbours.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The Norseman (Normans) were Vikings really so 1066 was their big victory. Their influence over the whole of Western Europe was huge.

Having visited Iceland, Denmark & Sweden, we do have so much in common with our Nordic neighbours.

I always thought Harold and his lads were fighting Norwegians at the Battle of Stanford Bridge 3 weeks before the Normans arrived down South.
His army was much depleted from this battle and also deserters as it marched south to Sussex to greet the Normans who I always thought were from Normandy aka French.

Anyways, aren't we all descendants of Adam & Eve? What nationality were they?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Tom Holland’s book about Athelstan is an excellent review of this period.

I love his books anyway, but this is only a short one and excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here