Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 5/1 for Southampton to be relegated - value?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Breaking news is that Ings has turned down a new 4 year contract as he wants to test himself at a higher level. If they take something for him rather than lose him on a free next year, they are a bang average side that will have to play for set pieces even more than they do now.

[TWEET]1411963573576798208[/TWEET]

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
How can they be offering odds when squads have not been announced.?

Fools and their money are easily parted i suppose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I can't be arsed looking, but assume from your post that Palace are one of the favourites for the drop :lolol:

SAC

May 21, 2014

I suspect that you will get better odds now before the squads are announced.

el punal

A tale of two cities, Brighton and Southampton. Both with roughly the same population, the same size stadium, similar fan catchment area - and that’s where the similarity ends. Going by on what Saints friends and acquaintances have said they are club with an awful lot of problems. The owners want out, but no-one is interested in buying, a lack of investment (because of this), a large proportion of players who were bought for exorbitant fees and paid accordingly but lack quality, an academy that doesn’t seem to produce the gems of old. In addition you have fans who have lost faith with the club and are sceptical about any progress.

Brighton, on the other hand, seem to be the polar opposite of where Southampton are at present. As far as I am concerned long may that continue. :drink:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I can't be arsed looking, but assume from your post that Palace are one of the favourites for the drop :lolol:

Haven’t looked and to be honest I pay no attention to betting markets ( at 56 I have never been in a book makers )

Just don’t know how you can make assumptions before teams even select their squads, there has been very little transfer news and won’t be until the euros finish next Monday I would think.

Palace have been favourites to go down the last 8 years and as yet have not even been close to it and the end of the season.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Haven’t looked and to be honest I pay no attention to betting markets ( at 56 I have never been in a book makers )

Just don’t know how you can make assumptions before teams even select their squads, there has been very little transfer news and won’t be until the euros finish next Monday I would think.

Palace have been favourites to go down the last 8 years and as yet have not even been close to it and the end of the season.

I don't tend to gamble either and definitely not on football.

I guess the markets pre-squad announcements are probably based on clubs published accounts, how long the manager and tactics have been in place, number and quality of players under contract, those sort of things :wink:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Brighton, on the other hand, seem to be the polar opposite of where Southampton are at present. As far as I am concerned long may that continue. :drink:

Aplogies for bursting your bubble, and spoiling your pint of Guinness, but may l just remind you of one small point?

Southampton finished last season on 43 points, with us on 41.

I know we are all Albion fans, but sometimes all this self congratulatory stuff on here sticks in my craw.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I saw that we were 9/1, which does look like outstanding value.
Despite that, I won't be lumping on, because my hunch is that the three relegated teams will come from three of Burnley, Palace, Southampton, and the promoted teams.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I hate agreeing with Palace fans but this is spot on, until you know who's playing where how can you make an informed choice? Palace are a good example, right now they look a basket case but who knows what their budget is or how they will use it? Get the right players and it will look a lot heathier, fail and you'd think they are a shoo in to go down, but right now they could be anything come August...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
They moment Ings leaves, they won't be 5/1 for relegation, they'll be much shorter. If you take that price today, you're essentially betting that Ings will leave and they won't get a good replacement for him. If he stays, then your 5/1 probably doesn't look as good value. I don't really understand the argument that it's a mugs game at this stage to be betting on relegation. Anything can happen between now and the start of the season with transfers, you might get lucky and your odds might be longer than they would have been had you waited to be more "informed", or it could go the other way and find yourself taking 5/1 when 8 or 9/1 could have been available. It's all part of the game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Aplogies for bursting your bubble, and spoiling your pint of Guinness, but may l just remind you of one small point?

Southampton finished last season on 43 points, with us on 41.

I know we are all Albion fans, but sometimes all this self congratulatory stuff on here sticks in my craw.

Southampton was the worst team in the league for the second half of the season, only 14 points. I know some people would happily trade and have a shite spring season just to get those 2 extra points. I certainly wouldnt as those results could impact the next season, confidence cant be on top in the Southampton camp.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Didn’t Ings say when he joined that it was his dream move?

His boyhood club, and he was coming home.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Southampton was the worst team in the league for the second half of the season, only 14 points. I know some people would happily trade and have a shite spring season just to get those 2 extra points. I certainly wouldnt as those results could impact the next season, confidence cant be on top in the Southampton camp.

Yes they were the worst team in the league for the 2nd half of the season, but conversely that means that they must have been on of the best teams in the 1st half! They were also adversely affected by injuries and suspensions for the run in, which affected them badly.

I'm not predicting that they will necessarily have a bteer season this time around, but fortunes can change so quickly in football as we know, and l do rate their manager too, so no way am l going to write them off. Not before a single ball has been kicked anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here