Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Dicker returns

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
That’s a lovely bit of news.

His generation was the start of our rise. Fond memories.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well I assume now that Crofts has taken over Rusk's role as u23 head coach, someone can perhaps take his place. And if we don't, I'm still not complaining :albion2:

Well having already got an Englishman (Mark Beard), a Scotsman (David Weir) and a Welshman (Andrew Crofts) in senior positions in the development squad, I suppose we needed an Irishman to complete the set?

Seems a bit odd to me that we sign an over-age player for the U23s, but I guess if the people running the club think it's a good idea, who am I to argue. Only drawback I can see is that if he's registered as a player, he'll take up one of our 25 squad places like Crofts did.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well having already got an Englishman (Mark Beard), a Scotsman (David Weir) and a Welshman (Andrew Crofts) in senior positions in the development squad, I suppose we needed an Irishman to complete the set?

Seems a bit odd to me that we sign an over-age player for the U23s, but I guess if the people running the club think it's a good idea, who am I to argue. Only drawback I can see is that if he's registered as a player, he'll take up one of our 25 squad places like Crofts did.

I'm not quite sure why that is a "drawback". His presence here certainly won't stop Tony signing a player for the squad if that is what he feels is best for the club. If we have 25 players other than Dicker, Dicker won't be named. If we have 24 or fewer players, Dicker will be named in the squad.

Complete non-issue :shrug:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

I’m not sure he needs to be part of the premier league 25 squad, just registered to the club. I was under the impression Crofts was only included as very unlikely cover on the basis we had surplus space to do so.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not quite sure why that is a "drawback". His presence here certainly won't stop Tony signing a player for the squad if that is what he feels is best for the club. If we have 25 players other than Dicker, Dicker won't be named. If we have 24 or fewer players, Dicker will be named in the squad.

Complete non-issue :shrug:
Are we able to register him as a player purely for the U23s then? - or can we register a player (who's not an U21) and just leave them out of the 25?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Are we able to register him as a player purely for the U23s then? - or can we register a player (who's not an U21) and just leave them out of the 25?

Yes, we can register as many players as we like. We can name a maximum of 25 players over 21 in the PL squad. If we have more then they are left out of the squad and can’t be played in the PL. As others have said the only reason Crofts has been previously named in the PL squad is because we didn’t have 25 players.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

We could sign 1,000 players if we wanted to; they just wouldn't be named in the PL squad.

I think it used to be the case that if you had at least 25 senior players on the books, they had to be named in the 25. However, I seem to remember last season that someone (a Palace fan?) gave an example of a team who had named fewer than 25 players in their squad, but who also had a senior pro on the books who wasn't named, so maybe the rules have changed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, we can register as many players as we like. We can name a maximum of 25 players over 21 in the PL squad. If we have more then they are left out of the squad and can’t be played in the PL. As others have said the only reason Crofts has been previously named in the PL squad is because we didn’t have 25 players.

We could sign 1,000 players if we wanted to; they just wouldn't be named in the PL squad.

I think it used to be the case that if you had at least 25 senior players on the books, they had to be named in the 25. However, I seem to remember last season that someone (a Palace fan?) gave an example of a team who had named fewer than 25 players in their squad, but who also had a senior pro on the books who wasn't named, so maybe the rules have changed.
Thank you both for putting me right on that. :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
B67BA8DB-10F1-4A2B-901C-3A5846B56A61.jpeg

D

Deleted member 2719

One of you favs [MENTION=12756]R-Slicker[/MENTION].

I bet you're happy.

Next stop Barnesy.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here