Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Justin Fashanu

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tucked away within the Sky On Demand offerings is a very good 90m documentary on Justin Fashanu called 'Forbidden Games', which I watched last night.

It starts with his early childhood with his brother John when they were abandoned by their mother, then his football career on and off the field, and of course the tragic ending. It has interviews with his mother, John, sisters, friends, agents, managers, team mates etc, and loads of fascinating footage and news reports back from the 80s and 90s, showing the extraordinary intolerance towards gays during that era, primarily fuelled by the media and the fear of AIDS. Its a tragic story, as you see gradually one by one so many people in his life turn their back on him. He never came to terms with his mother leaving him, and then after he came out, when his own brother pretty much disowned him, its not difficult to see why it ended how it did.

There's some amazing revelations that I was completely unaware of, and fair to say Brian Clough does not come out of this story with much credit at all. BTW - there's literally zero mention of BHA, but then his 16 appearances here would only have been a small footnote in a long journeyman career taking in 20-odd clubs over 20 years - but don't go in expecting any archive Goldstone footage. There's none.

A very well put together doc though IMO. Well worth your attention.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Thanks - I'll probably give this a watch over the weekend. A tragic story.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Justin was treated appallingly by his brother when he came out. John Fashanu is nothing but a nasty, spiteful homophobe. And the footballing world should never forget.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Justin was treated appallingly by his brother when he came out. John Fashanu is nothing but a nasty, spiteful homophobe. And the footballing world should never forget.

I didn’t know that but shame on him if so

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
John Fashanu, the only player to be stretchered off a pitch and given a red card at the same time, nasty bit of work

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I believe he offered him cash not to come out in the national press.

He did indeed. According to Justin, he had a deal with The Sun to come out with his story and consulted John beforehand, who then offered him a lot more money for him to NOT run the story and go public on his sexuality. Which he turned down and went ahead with The Sun.

He received absolutely zero support from his brother, and that all but ended their relationship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here