Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ** Ukraine v England ** Suggest Southgate's Selections - When in Rome . . . . . . .

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well, well, well . . . .I wasn't the only one moaning at Southgate's selections at 15:45 on Tuesday but his tactic of not conceding proved to be correct once again as £250m+ worth of attacking talent in Grealish, Foden, Mount & Sancho started on the bench. Southgate has a plan, after watching how the last winners of the Euros played; he is clearly on to something.

Kane, Sterling, Shaw & Grealish duly delivered when we needed them to, will Southgate apply the winning caution to his next selection?

Formation Watch

We saw Southgate employ a 3-4-3 according to the BBC. You're only scoring the 3 extra points if you picked this one exactly as advised in the first post. I realise this could take a little getting used to as you could argue that we had a front 2 or back 5 but we're predicting the BBC interpretation in this case and they are not going to get in to detail of exactly how the formation worked in practice. For clarity, I think it's best for suggesters to just quote the formation in this format '3-4-3' instead of me trying to interpret how it's appeared on NSC as I try to visualise a line-up demonstrated using spaces and on different lines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51198606

Well done to [MENTION=36334]JonnyCLately[/MENTION] who nailed the team but got the formation slightly wrong with a back 5 (full backs instead or wingbacks). [MENTION=27389]mjking73[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33885]Badger Boy[/MENTION] did very well to be just one player out with the correct 3-4-3, great work!

mjking73-- 13
Badger Boy-- 13
WhingForPresident-- 12
HCxUK 12
JonnyCLately-- 11
Farehamseagull-- 10
NEASTGULL-- 10
Hugo Rune-- 9
Origigull-- 9
Mashman156-- 9
Swanny-- 9
Gary Nelson’s Left Foot-- 9
albionfan37-- 9
One Teddy Maybank-- 9
Harry Wilson’s Tackle-- 9
A1X-- 9
Tim Over Whelmed-- 9
Jeremiah-- 9
MJsGhost-- 9
Butch Willykins-- 8
mwrpoole-- 8
Nicky Rust Fan Club-- 8
martin tyler-- 8
zefarelly-- 8
Machiavelli-- 8
elwheelio-- 7

How to play:

As per usual, you just need to select Southgate's starting 11 alongside his starting formation as interpreted by the BBC website match report.

1 point - Correctly selected player
3 points - Correctly selected formation according to the BBC match report.
11 points - Bonus if you correctly select the whole team and formation.

25 points is your top score, just like in F1.

Competition closes just before the official team release (1.5hr before K.O. i think . . . so 15:30 on Tuesday 29th June).

It's easy!

So . . . . . .

Will Southgate change the formation bakc to a four or is happy with a 3 and wingbacks?

Will Southgate stick with exactly the same team or give a chance to some flair players?

Will Henderson return to the formation at the expense of Rice who looked like he was hurt prior to our 2nd goal?

Will Dunk be brought into the camp to show Maguire how to head the ball into the net?

Was Trippier that good? Has he done enough to keep James out?

Grealish made the difference again, is he destined to be an impact sub?

What do YOU think he'll do?

Have you got what it takes to Suggest Southgate's Selections?

It's over to you!

*****THIS COMPETITION WILL CONTINUE WHILST ENGLAND REMAIN IN THE TOURNAMENT*******

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I really don’t think that Southgate will play Phillips AND Rice because both are on a yellow card. I think he going to tinker and get Henderson & Mount back in. I also don’t think Trippier & Saka did enough to start again.

3-4-3

Pickford

Maguire
Stones
Walker

James
Henderson
Phillips
Shaw

Mount
Kane
Sterling

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Pickford

Walker
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Mount

Grealish
Foden
Sterling

Kane

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pickford

Stones
Maguire
Walker

James
Henderson
Phillips
Shaw

Sterling
Kane
Foden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I have peered into my crystal ball once more and found the following wisdom;

4-2-3-1

Pickford
Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw
Henderson
Phillips
Sterling
Mount
Foden
Kane

Saka, Grealish and Sancho off the bench to run up the score a little bit at the end. It's coming home!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
===
Pickford

Walker
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Henderson
Mount

Sterling
Kane
Grealish - really hard to choose between Foden and Grealish for this spot.

Kane

===

Sancho to get at least 25-30 mins hopefully also.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
4-2-3-1

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw
Rice
Phillips
Sterling
Foden
Grealish
Kane

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Difficult to choose for this one. Will Southgate change a winning side or will Grealish come in from the start. I will go with:
Pickford
Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
Mount - Henderson - Phillips
Saka - Kane - Sterling
4-3-3

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Doesn't matter who plays, we're doomed from the start :lolol:

IMG-20210702-WA0003.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Leaving Trippier out of the suggested elevens is a bit like leaving Gross out for Brighton next season... you can try but it wont give you any points.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I think he might rest some of those on yellows:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Mings
Shaw

Henderson
Mount
Foden

Sterling
Grealish
Kane

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Pickford
Tripper
Stones
Maguire
Walker
Rice
Phillips
Saka
Grealish
Sterling
Kane

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Leaving Trippier out of the suggested elevens is a bit like leaving Gross out for Brighton next season... you can try but it wont give you any points.

Not this again! [emoji35]

Anyway - Saka had a small knock from the Germany match. He’s not been ruled out but with Grealish, Foden & Mount waiting in the wings, Gareth has options.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
We know we can go very wrong against "smaller" teams: just look how we left Euro 2016. I hope - and almost believe now - that the manager is very aware of that kind of complacency and working actively against it.

If that's in hand I care a lot less about who is actually in the starting 11 - and with 5 substitutes we have the ability to change things if they are not working, as well. I just really hope we don't have anyone sent off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here