Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley tickets

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wembley, Wimbledon and the GB Grand Prix (full capacity at 140k) are all part of the country’s test events programme. Having your mates round for a beer to watch the match is not. As someone else has said it’s all baby steps to hopefully further easings on 19 July as more and more people are vaccinated and with the delta variant not impacting on our life’s too greatly despite its transmission risk being quite easy.

I'm all for proceeding cautiously. But let's be clear - the Euros, Wimbledon and the British Grand Prix are far more about how the government wants Britian to be viewed on the world stage rather than bone fide 'test events.' We are going from 40k capacity at Wembley for the Germany game to 60k for the semi finals before any data from the Germany game will be available owing to the lag in transmissions and the time required to undertake thorough analysis. That doesn't feel like baby steps or a scientic experiment - more like a pre-determined ramp up. I'm all for these events taking place but I don't buy for one second that they are 'test events' - like some twenty first century twist on the atomic tests on Easter Island. I guess all I am saying is that these hugely high profile events will trigger the Law of Unintended Consequences - in this case a growing view that the need to maintain caution has gone.

For the record, I'll be watching the England match in my home with my 10 year old son and that's it. But win or lose, I fully expect to watch the BBC news afterwards and see reporters in rammed beer gardens and other public places, showing scenes no different from the knock-out stages of any other major tournament. It isn't about what happens at Wembley, Wimbledon or the British GP that is important - but the message it sends to the wider population. And at the moment that message seems to be, "we're back to normal, folks."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm all for proceeding cautiously. But let's be clear - the Euros, Wimbledon and the British Grand Prix are far more about how the government wants Britian to be viewed on the world stage rather than bone fide 'test events.' We are going from 40k capacity at Wembley for the Germany game to 60k for the semi finals before any data from the Germany game will be available owing to the lag in transmissions and the time required to undertake thorough analysis. That doesn't feel like baby steps or a scientic experiment - more like a pre-determined ramp up. I'm all for these events taking place but I don't buy for one second that they are 'test events' - like some twenty first century twist on the atomic tests on Easter Island. I guess all I am saying is that these hugely high profile events will trigger the Law of Unimtended Consequences - in this case a growing view that the need to maintain caution has gone.

For the record, I'll be watching the England match in my home with my 10 year old son and that's it. But win or lose, I fully expect to watch the BBC news afterwards and see reporters in rammed beer gardens and other public places, showing scenes no different from the knock-out stages of any other major tournament. It isn't about what happens at Wembley, Wimbledon or the British GP that is important - but the message it sends to the wider population. And at the moment that message seems to be, "we're back to normal, folks."

Next you'll be saying Boris is just a populist cheerleader with a pathological desire to be loved by everyone.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Next you'll be saying Boris is just a populist cheerleader with a pathological desire to be loved by everyone.

Do you know - this is a nagging doubt that for me has been growing for a while...Do you think it could be so? Don't tell anyone, but I'm not so sure he's the steady, sober hand on the nation's tiller we all thought he was. :ohmy:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I'm all for proceeding cautiously. But let's be clear - the Euros, Wimbledon and the British Grand Prix are far more about how the government wants Britian to be viewed on the world stage rather than bone fide 'test events.' We are going from 40k capacity at Wembley for the Germany game to 60k for the semi finals before any data from the Germany game will be available owing to the lag in transmissions and the time required to undertake thorough analysis. That doesn't feel like baby steps or a scientic experiment - more like a pre-determined ramp up. I'm all for these events taking place but I don't buy for one second that they are 'test events' - like some twenty first century twist on the atomic tests on Easter Island. I guess all I am saying is that these hugely high profile events will trigger the Law of Unintended Consequences - in this case a growing view that the need to maintain caution has gone.

Test events are much more than just seeing how many people might have been infected post event. The first report on phase 1 test events was published a couple of days ago. A key finding, which is hardly a surprise, is how few people really bothered to participate in the post event testing, how difficult contact tracing (currently laughably ineffective) will be for larger scale events and as you say the time lag between events and data being available. The report also notes a behavioural correlation between larger crowds equating to poorer use of face covers at events and as crowds dispersed from the event. It actually makes for a depressing read about the short term future of larger events. The days of rocking up to a stadium of say 50k next month just seems way off.

Like you, I’ll be sat in front of the tv with my youngest although my eldest lad will be at a boozy and fully booked sports bar with his mates. I wonder how long before he tests positive.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes - I agree with that; I suppose I was talking more about compliance. As people see more and more crowds of thousands on their tv screens the willingness to keep complying with a myriad of micro-restrictions like rules of 6 etc will just go out the window. The train has well and truly left the station so far as getting the population as a whole to stick to the rules. To be honest, I don’t even know what they are anymore.

I agree, and at the stage we are at now, l think that by and large, it's time to trust the vaccines and let them do their work. I don't think many of us will put up with a lot of these restrictions for too much longer, or worse still being locked down again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Less than four weeks to go. Loyalty points haven’t been loaded back on the website as yet so not sure when tickets will be on sale.

Not being managed by the club very well. Appreciate things are up in the air a bit but they could keep us advised of what discussions are taking place as I assume it will apply to all EPL clubs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How exciting to even be talking about such things again.

Buzzing for the new season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not being managed by the club very well. Appreciate things are up in the air a bit but they could keep us advised of what discussions are taking place as I assume it will apply to all EPL clubs.

Can't find anything from any other club either - not sure they are handling it badly, more likely they are bound by the PL wanting to control the comms and make sure messages are consistent. Doubt plans and protocols have been finalised yet - restrictions, away fans etc etc - so on that basis anything they did say wouldn't help much................. will I be able to go to the Burnley game ? 'We don't know yet'.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately it may be Getafe at home and then the gates come down again as the daily numbers surge, (Hopefully not)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Can't find anything from any other club either - not sure they are handling it badly, more likely they are bound by the PL wanting to control the comms and make sure messages are consistent. Doubt plans and protocols have been finalised yet - restrictions, away fans etc etc - so on that basis anything they did say wouldn't help much................. will I be able to go to the Burnley game ? 'We don't know yet'.

There’s no social distancing nor capacity restrictions at the Getafe game so I don’t see any for Burnley. Let’s face it if you can go nightclubbing without restriction then outdoor events are in the clear. I don’t see why tickets shouldn’t be on sale this/next week.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think it is also with local councils to grant safety certificates for the stadiums and some councils may still wish to restrict capacities until we are over this current wave. The only council I have seen so far is Liverpool who have deeemed that Liverpool and Everton can begin the season with 'almost' full capacities, so I would guess 90%. There must be a good chance that the 10% restrictions will fall all or some on away tickets.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Could do with the club letting us know on this so I can have the internal battle to decide if I want to travel to that ****ing armpit of a town on the 14th

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Three weeks tomorrow. POTG?

I emailed Supporter Services, they said Loyalty points will be added back on very soon but look out for ticket news over the next couple of weeks?

Seems a bit strange to leave it so late. I have a hotel booked and am looking forward to getting back to a bit of normality in my life.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I really think people need to stop bashing the club on this, it's almost certainly out of their control.

From what I was reading last night, not a single away ticket is on sale for Premier league or Championship football yet (which starts in 2 weeks).

Clearly the leagues and Government are still in discussion about away crowds - at a guess they are perhaps looking at results from Wembley last week (which apparently weren't good based on reaction from the England travel club).

Presumably a decision is going to need be made very very soon now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I really think people need to stop bashing the club on this, it's almost certainly out of their control.

From what I was reading last night, not a single away ticket is on sale for Premier league or Championship football yet (which starts in 2 weeks).

Clearly the leagues and Government are still in discussion about away crowds - at a guess they are perhaps looking at results from Wembley last week (which apparently weren't good based on reaction from the England travel club).

Presumably a decision is going to need be made very very soon now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Who is bashing the club?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here