Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Does Grealish START on Saturday?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Up until JG's introduction on 70 minutes, that match resembeld that feature from It's A Knockout! where 2 competitors dressed in oafish giant suits clumsily lumbered around a slippery podium trying to knock each other over whilst Stuart Hall (are we still allowed to mention him?) shrieked with laughter.

Then on 70 minutes Grealish came on and injected pace, invention, trickery and penetration into our foward play. Five minutes after his introduction he had role in the first goal and 10 minutes after that he popped a cross onto Kane's head that even he couldn't miss, for the second.

So does Grealish get a start on Saturday, or is he best used as an impact sub? He won us that game in 15 minutes (notwithstanding an honourable mention for Pickford who saved our skin a couple of times) - so you kind of wonder what Grealish could do if he was given the full 90?

Personally, I think after that performance Grealish has 100% earned the right to start but can see the counter argument that he's a great option to bring off the bench to change a game.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tough one.

Mount was very very good against Croatia I thought, Foden wasn’t bad either.

If we go back to 4-3-3, it certainly gives us a chance to try bring in an attacking player for a defender, Grealish would be my selection.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I loved the 1990 team and 96 team but none had the depth in squad we have now... what decisions to make. Mount, Foden, Sancho left on the bench for a knockout game against ze germans... incredible.

I'd start him for Rice or Phillips btw

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Surely he's earnt the right to start.
If he comes on as an impact sub, then starting a game he'll have a similar impact.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and drop Saka? i think either, or Foden, switching to another second half is the plan, there isnt much in central midfield. im not sure Grealish would be as effective first half.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a chance, we’ll go with what has worked so far. Flair creative players will be held backs.

Hard to knock it when it works but it’s gonna be a witch hunt on Southgate when it doesn’t. I’ll be there with my pitchfork too :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes.

Sky’s analysis by their in-house not ex-player :wanker:experts:wanker: this evening was that this was an astonishing masterclass by GS, in bringing on Grealish later in the game.

We could quite easily have been losing 2-0 by then.

Play our strongest team and in form creator from the off.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
No, he seems much more effective coming on when legs are tiring, one of Southgates decisions i agree with.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Both teams set up the same. We’ll never know if it was right or wrong - but it is proven right by an X % I guess. I think he should start Sat yes, as lesser opposition than Germany on paper…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hate Grealish for Villa but he really is a wonderful footballer.

Totally the same. England shirt is different. Back to giving him shit next season :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here