Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sweden v Ukraine

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sweden versus the Ukraine

It's 'UKRAINE' FFS. Gets my the goat, the that. Every the ****ing the time.

Incidentally if Sweden win then it will be the whole of NSC up in arms about the unwelcome presence of [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] on Saturday.

Oh.... hang on :facepalm:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Incidentally if Sweden win then it will be the whole of NSC up in arms about the unwelcome presence of [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] on Saturday.

I was just saying the same to my wife, she thinks it stems from the UK being known as 'the UK' and so 'the Ukraine' rolls off the tongue for us British.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

We'll end up playing Sweden in the QF, which will go to penalties, and if all square the decider will go to which team captain who can assemble an Ikea Kapgafre the quickest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can we ban [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] for a week if we end up playing them? I am not a fan of list of names of great Englishman and “your boys took one hell of a beating” posts

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was just saying the same to my wife, she thinks it stems from the UK being known as 'the UK' and so 'the Ukraine' rolls off the tongue for us British.
The offence is that 'the' signifies a region of a country ( eg the Midlands ) or non-offensively a conglomeration of states ( eg the USA, the EU, the UK, the USSR ).

In this case 'the Ukraine' signifies a region of 'the USSR'.

So the country is being demoted to a region of the Soviet Union, which is why the term is so offensive.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Who else is cheering on Sweden just to enjoy the disappointment of Swansmen then?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The combination of their kits is a bit IKEA catalogue ... I can accept that from the Swedes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here