Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Euros and VAR

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not a lot has been said about this, but the VAR implementation has been absolutely superb and genuinely enhanced the tournament to ensure correct decisions are arrived at, and very very quickly.

The Premier League need to be learning lessons from this. There is absolutely no excuse for another season of shit VAR usage next time round because we have now seen it working properly.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree VAR used much better. Swiss offside goal as an example. linesmans decision accepted straight away. Sure in backgroung VAR checked but no hold up in play. In general reffing also better. Not fooling for players going down looking for fouls

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup. Saw it live in person in Belgium a couple of years ago, and been show here again. VAR itself isn't the issue, all about the application. Used with common sense, it's fine.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
VAR has been fine but its the general refereeing that really stands out compared to the previous PL season. The refs allow the game to flow in a completely different way.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, agreed. I haven't watched a whole football match for a long time, but I watched both of those games yesterday in their entirety and it was brilliant.

On of the reasons I think for VAR not being the buzzkill it is in the PL is that apparently at the Euros there is a VAR official who only checks for offside, nothing else. Will the Premier League adopt that?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Problem is, the quality of our refereeing is so poor, and ultimately they are the ones that utilise VAR.

Some of our refs are there so can't be the whole problem if the feeling is that refs and VAR are doing a decent job

English referees Anthony Taylor and Michael Oliver along with their teams have been selected to officiate at this summer's UEFA EURO 2020 tournament.

Anthony will be joined by his assistants Gary Beswick and Adam Nunn, while Michael's team includes assistants Simon Bennett and Stuart Burt.

In addition to that, Stuart Attwell, Chris Kavanagh and Lee Betts have been selected as video match officials (VARs) in what is a strong representation at the competition for English officials.

----------------------------

Maybe the FA / PL guidelines are a bigger problem than the refs/VAR?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Its as has been said time and time again, VAR technology isn't the problem, its the people using it , and the interpretation of the rules.

There have been several goals in the Euros that would definitely have been ruled out for handball in the Prem last season, some challenges that wold have resulted in free kicks or penalties.

The games have all been allowed to flow, no free kicks awarded for hard but fair tackles and challenges, no stopping the game every time a player falls over their own feet. None of this " i felt his breath on me I'm entitled to go down and get a penalty" being given the time of day

Off sides are being looked at quickly and sensibly, none of this his nose was 5 mm in front of the defender so its ruled out rubbish

The technology is the same, the rules are the same so what is the difference? Quite simply decent referees and common sense being used- both things not found in the Premier League

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Some of our refs are there so can't be the whole problem if the feeling is that refs and VAR are doing a decent job

English referees Anthony Taylor and Michael Oliver along with their teams have been selected to officiate at this summer's UEFA EURO 2020 tournament.

Anthony will be joined by his assistants Gary Beswick and Adam Nunn, while Michael's team includes assistants Simon Bennett and Stuart Burt.

In addition to that, Stuart Attwell, Chris Kavanagh and Lee Betts have been selected as video match officials (VARs) in what is a strong representation at the competition for English officials.

This is spot on. IFAB have been calling out PGMOL for playing by their own interpretations of the rules regarding VAR for years now. You do start to wonder if PGMOL aren't quite as onboard with the technology as IFAB would want...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I thought the foull that resulted in Swiss missed penalty was outside area. Sure I was wrong but refreshing how quick it was dealt with

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I don't think VAR has been great by any stretch but much more decisive refs (these are the best refs in the continent) makes for a much better game.

The difference between the best refs in Europe and the 9th best ref in the Prem is absolutely massive.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm shocked that Moss or Mason weren't selected to ref at the Euros, shocked I tell you.

...not shocked at all, but we'll still be left with these clowns refing and VARing our games when the season returns.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There was one game where VAR wound me up. They all blur into one, but I think it was the Dutch game on Sunday. Decisions were slow and loads of non events being checked slowing the game down. Transpires it was the PL refs sat in the chair for that one which explained it all.

I suspect it will be more of the same next year. Whatever more of the same is. Early in the season everything was handball (Dier pen against Newcastle being the classic example), then they appeared to change it without telling anyone.

There will be at least one more year of it being a bit shit.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Thing is...they check it and it's either yes or no, and you hardly see a replay. If that's sky sports you get 56 replays from all angles and a load of know-alls telling us it was a penalty.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I noticed Stuart Attwell was in charge of VAR for the Netherlands v Czech Republic game. All previous games ran smoothly with decisions made quickly but in this game there were long hold ups for VAR. It's not VAR but the people running it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I also wonder if there is an element that we are watching games where we don't care about the outcome. The comment about not having Sky cameras and pundits dissecting every decision makes sense, but why would anyone care. They aren't our teams, so a quick decision, right or wrong, gets a tick for keeping the game going. The refs ignoring players who go Villa style or Wilf style is a different matter to VAR and I'd love to see all the diving reffed in the Premier League in the same way as the Euros. That has been really refreshing.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
It looks like there has been a general instruction to the refs to ignore the more trifling fouls which has allowed the game to flow. It his also resulted in a certain amount of persistent fouling and some fairly obvious fouls that have been let go (the Swiss penalty wasn't given as a foul initially and if it hadn't been in the area would not have been called back).

Over all I think it has improved the games but if you are Belgian and have seen KdB and Eden Hazzard kicked out of games you might disagree.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

It's notable the referees who have been chosen and the ones who haven't.

I'm not sure it's been mentioned here yet, but we have a new referee joining the PL this season - Jarred Gillett, an Aussie who worked in the Championship for the last 2 seasons after leaving the A League. Here's a great video of him miked up for his last A League match, including talking through his use of VAR for an offside decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDy_9z0rH8k

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We just like to use it more in the Premier League.

In the group stages of Euro 2020 it was used an average of 5 times per game including goals. The Prem last season used it an average of 12 times per match and 14 the season before.

Maybe we just like to nit pick more here in the Prem.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thing is...they check it and it's either yes or no, and you hardly see a replay. If that's sky sports you get 56 replays from all angles and a load of know-alls telling us it was a penalty.

…. with Peter Walton wheeled out to state “The referee/VAR are quite correct, the striker did invite the negligible contact”.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here