Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Germany 5pm . On the front foot from the start .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I really hope that Southgate takes the lesson from Switzerland last night and sets the England team up to really go for it from the start . That means in my opinion starting both grealish & Saka.

That’s England’s best chance of winning .

Do you agree or would you rather Foden & mount start ?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Play on the counter with pace — Sterling, Grealish, Saka and Kane to start.

Stop playing Rashford on the right when he makes his sub appearance — it’s like Gareth has never seen him play there for Man United. He is useless on the right. It should be on the left or through the middle.

Give Sancho more minutes as a sub.

Rice and Henderson as the holding midfielders.

With a flat back four of Shaw, Maguire, Stones and Trippier.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Really looking forward to this... and whatever happens, it will be more entertaining than yesterdays snoozzzzzefest. :yawn:

Oh.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We are destined for a penalty shoot out tonight - inconveniently it is against the penalty-meisters.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Rest easy, we are the better team, we are at home, we have a master tactician in the dugout who has a plan to beat the big teams .... footballs coming home [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I really hope that Southgate takes the lesson from Switzerland last night and sets the England team up to really go for it from the start . That means in my opinion starting both grealish & Saka.

That’s England’s best chance of winning .

Do you agree or would you rather Foden & mount start ?

Not really interested on front foot or looking good . Result all that matters for me .

Defensively solid first . Trust Southgate to get it right as not let us down yet .

Noises out the camp are good .

Did like saka though but trust Southgate to pick the team to win .

Buzzing for it

Come on England

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I would go with a back 3, play Saka as left wing-back with Trippier on the right for his set pieces. Kane, Sterling and Grealish as a front three, with two holding midfielders.

I really like your thinking. However, do we really need two holding midfielders with a back 3 against a side looking to predominantly attack through it’s wing backs?

In addition, if Saka is playing as a wing-back, he will need too service from a centreback. The man to do that is White on the right recreating the White-Lamptey axis which allowed the later to play pushed up so dramatically in the EPL. This will certainly pin back Germany’s wingback on our right side.

I’d have Mount alongside Phillips in the centre tying to replicate our Bissouma-Lallana or Groß partnership. Grealish plays where he wants and Trippier has to start to take advantage of all the free kicks Jack cheats, I mean wins for us.

Stones anchors the back 3 with his terrific long passing with Maguire surging forward at LCB.

That’s a win for England with me (or Potter) in charge and rightly so!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Expect extreme pragmatism from Southgate. Won't care a bit so long as we go through. This matters more than the Scots.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Haven't we gone from it from the start and looked quite good for the first 10-15 mins of every game so far? It's the rest of the match that's the problem

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure who'll win, but I think one area where England have definitely improved over recent years (IMO) is that our players are no longer technically inferior to those of other nations. In previous tournaments we'd play in three rigid and clueless lines of four, four and two and these three sections would simply kick the ball at each other, the longer the better, with nobody looking comfortable.

I'm not saying the England players are world-beaters (because they're not), but at least now if we lose it'll be more because Southgate got the tactics wrong and less because our players are useless donkeys.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Delighted to see GSouth offered a new contract before this game irrelevant of the result, we've made real progress under his leadership and offers much needed certainty and stability, a tough ask against Germany but I know the players will give it their all for the cause and that's all we can ask.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Either take the decision not to start Kane or give him 20 minutes, if he still looks as disinterested as he has been so far, then I would like to see Gareth Southgate pulling him off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here